Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Kitty, for the clarification of terms. The "welt" is 6 inches tall, but it doesn't start until just above my knee and then it goes about mid-thigh on me. I think its because I'm just not used to seeing the welt that low that made me wonder if it was too short. But then, these are vintage stockings and each manufacturer made them a little bit different, I believe. Regardless, they fit me fine, I was just concerned about "the look" of them.

I think I'm going to keep them and wear them.
Yippee! I'm suddenly stocking rich!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BonnieJean said:
I think its because I'm just not used to seeing the welt that low that made me wonder if it was too short.

img013.jpg

These are from the vintage lane bryant thread. Oh and thanks for the correct term Kitty T, Im bad at term-e things :)

LD

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, LD, for the picture.
I guess they really are where they should be on my legs after looking at the pictures. Mine even have a cotton top and foot. They look very similar to the ones on the far left, except the ribbing is horizontal rather than vertical.
Very interesting ad.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I'm not sure if it's the way I sit but I always seem to tear or break my stockings. This has quite annoyed me and so I buy really cheap tights of an appropriate colour to off-set the cost rather than going all out on seamed stockings. *sigh*

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laraquan said:
I'm not sure if it's the way I sit but I always seem to tear or break my stockings. This has quite annoyed me and so I buy really cheap tights of an appropriate colour to off-set the cost rather than going all out on seamed stockings. *sigh*

If you tear your stockings while sitting, chances are they are too short or not properly fitted.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Laraquan said:

Seamed stockings are all about fit. Check to see if your garter belt straps are too short. They should be loose in the back when standing and loose in the front when sitting.

The stockings should be snug, but not tight. If they are too tight around your thigh, the fit is off.

Also, if you are wearing vintage stockings, Id recommend soaking them first for a good hour in a special soak for hose. That will soften the nylon and make them easier to wear.

Also make sure your toenails are trimmed ;)

LD
-listing all the problems she had when trying stockings-

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Also, be sure your *shoes* fit properly. A shoe that's too tight or too loose can abrade the stocking and cause runs very quickly. So can any rough spots inside the shoe -- little splits in the leather or bits of loose trim. Before wearing a pair of shoes for the first time, especially vintage shoes, it's always a good idea to run your hand around inside and take care of any possible stocking threats you may discover!

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
First Pair of Seamed Pantyhose

Okay, so I've always wanted some seamed hosiery, and I finally bought my first pair the other night. I bought them at Wal-Mart and they came with a garter belt. (15 or 16 dollars.) They are black with black seams. (They didn't have nude that style :mad: .) I know that it's not vintage or antyhing. I do love pantyhose (I'm really pale and scar pretty easily so hosiery makes my legs look a MILLION times better). But it doesn't matter what I do with them they always run within two wears. So I buy cheap hoisery.

When I tried them on and I felt a little odd in them. (Anyone else feel this way in their first seamed hose?) There was the whole issue of getting them straight and having never worn a garter belt before. (Will try clasping the back first next time. I read that in a previous post.) The second was it felt like too much black. I wanted to wear them with this dress I bought for my anniversary dinner tomorrow night. The dress is black with red and white flowers (by no means vintage) and I was also wearing black patent leather shoes.

Anyways...what's ya'lls opinion. Skip the hosiery and wear what I'm already comfortable in? Is it okay these days to wear them in public, or is still a bit taboo? Do you think it would be too much black? And was the Wal-Mart purchase a bad choice for a "looksie" of what it's like to wear a garter belt and seamed hosiery?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
OnlyOneAudrey said:
hosiery makes my legs look a MILLION times better). But it doesn't matter what I do with them they always run within two wears. So I buy cheap hoisery.

Some things to keep in mind:

Wear gloves when putting on your hosiery.
Check the inside of your shoes for rough bits that can cause runs.
Do not walk around without shoes while wearing hosiery.
Keep your feet and toenails smooth to prevent snags. Putting lotion on your legs and feet before putting on your hosiery can help.

There was the whole issue of getting them straight and having never worn a garter belt before. (Will try clasping the back first next time. I read that in a previous post.)

Maybe try wearing non-seamed stockings with the garter belt first to get used to it. Keep in mind that garter belts often twist, so if you are wearing seamed stockings, you are likely to end up with crooked seams. Regular stockings are not fitted to your leg like fully-fashioned are, and they are also stretchy, so they are more likely to not stay in place. Your seams are more likely to stay straight if you are wearing a girdle.

Do fasten your back garters first. Also, one way to get a straight seam is to place one finger right on the seam and follow it up the back of your leg, just like drawing a straight line up the back of your leg. I find it much harder to put on seamed stockings straight if they aren't fully-fashioned.

Is it okay these days to wear them in public, or is still a bit taboo?

It is fine, but you should be aware that you may get unwanted attention or comments. Also keep in mind that usually seamed hosiery is not appropriate for a professional setting. There is a thread about the stereotypes of seamed stockings at http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11913

Do you think it would be too much black?

There are no hard and fast rules! Just do what you think looks best.

And was the Wal-Mart purchase a bad choice for a "looksie" of what it's like to wear a garter belt and seamed hosiery?

Well a cheap Wal-Mart garter belt is probably likely to twist and slide down - like most garter belts do. This is just a problem with garter belts. A longline garter belt or a girdle is more likely to stay in place. Regular garter belts are a total pain.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Regular garter belts are a total pain.

Personally, I have a different point of view. I don't find good garter belts to be particularly troublesome. I will take those over pantyhose any day of the week. I have also worn panty-girdles, and while they do work very well, and there are times I wouldn't wear anything else, I prefer a good garter belt. But of course, to each her own. The best way to find out what you like is to try the different options.

I will say that many of the garter belts which are primarily intended for bedroom-fun-wear, tend to be poor in quality and can be a royal pain. I won't try a pull-on one, as logically, if you can pull it on, it can pull itself down! :eek:

I've had the best luck with ones that are really designed for keeping your stockings on rather than for show. The ones I like are made of non-stretchy cottons (my favorite is made of eyelet lace cotton) or out of materials similar to girdles. These stretch less and move less than the flimsy ones.
The ones that I have seen/tried which are made primarily of thin lace and elastic are more likely to move around.
Something to look for, are metal clasps as opposed to the plastic ones. Though if you find one you really like with plastic clasps, you can replace them with metal ones from your local fabric store. A hook and eye closure in the back is a must to me.

There are a couple different types of stockings. I learned that here on the FL. :D The kind you probably got are the modern variety which are much like pantyhose legs and have elastic in them.
The other kind, are the older style ones which don't have elastic in them. That may sound strange, but it works. The ones without the elastic are shaped like a leg, and have little stretch, so sizing is important. If I understand correctly (tell me if I'm wrong gals!) these ones without elastic can be found with or without seams. The ones with seams are called Fully Fashioned (FF) and the ones without are called Reinforced Heel and Toe (RHT).
I haven't worn seamed stockings that have elastic in them, so I can't comment on them. The seamed stockings I've tried are FF, and I haven't had trouble with them sliding or with crooked seams. (Thanks largely to suggestions from the ladies here) I occasionally have a little wrinkling (or bagging) around the ankles.

Oh, and I have found that garter belts are best with a-line or fuller skirts. If the skirts or dresses are at all snug or close-fitting across your bum or thighs, you can see the lines! :eek: Try a girdle with those!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
I will say that many of the garter belts which are primarily intended for bedroom-fun-wear, tend to be poor in quality and can be a royal pain. I won't try a pull-on one, as logically, if you can pull it on, it can pull itself down! :eek:

Well you pull on most girdles too, and that's not a problem :)

The garter belt I prefer is like this one:

lm_870_thm.jpg

It is a pull-on, very comfortable, and doesn't slide. It looks like a girdle, but it really isn't. It isn't as restrictive and does not provide the same type of control. The problem I've had with most garter belts is that they have to be fastened tightly in order to not slide, and then you get that wonderful tummy roll. This is the primary reason I do not wear traditional garter belts.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Well, I'm going to somewhat agree and disagree.
True, the stretchy stockings that are sold at Wal-Mart will move around, but like the other gals have said, the FF seamed ones usually will not.
But I have worn a girdle and since I have extremely sensitive skin, the girdle I have irritates me in places along the seam lines. My favorite garter belt/girdle is this Rago one. It fits snugly, but not too tight and works with all sorts of clothing, tight or lose. And it doesn't twist or move around. Plus, I like that there are 3 straps on each side for extra "security".

I had an uncomfortable experience the first time I wore seamed stockings. And I'm the one that started the thread that Kitty T referred to. I've since have been wearing exclusively FF seamed stockings and love them! I just ignore any looks or stares. But it was a little unsettling getting used to the reactions. Now, my stockings just part of my attire.

If you're not quite ready to leap into seamed stockings, here's a place that sells very nice, inexpensive nylon unseamed stockings. ShopNational
I wore these a lot when I first got into vintage dressing.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
BonnieJean said:
I had an uncomfortable experience the first time I wore seamed stockings. And I'm the one that started the thread that Kitty T referred to. I've since have been wearing exclusively FF seamed stockings and love them! I just ignore any looks or stares. But it was a little unsettling getting used to the reactions. Now, my stockings just part of my attire.

I think this is key -- if *we* think our stockings are somehow naughty or somehow inappropriate, others are going to pick up on that. But if, as Bonnie says, we just make them part of our everyday wear, people will pick up on *that*, too.

Part of the problem is that modern culture only thinks of FF hosiery in a bedroomy/fetishy kind of way -- and part of the reason for that is that they're rarely seen on everyday women doing everyday kinds of things. Me, I wear them everywhere -- with sensible oxfords and housedresses at the grocery store, with day dresses and heels at work, and with suits on professional-type occasions -- and the people around me have gotten so used to it that nobody gives it a second thought. Like so much of vintage-style femininity, it's something we can reclaim if we try.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I think this is key -- if *we* think our stockings are somehow naughty or somehow inappropriate, others are going to pick up on that. But if, as Bonnie says, we just make them part of our everyday wear, people will pick up on *that*, too.

Part of the problem is that modern culture only thinks of FF hosiery in a bedroomy/fetishy kind of way -- and part of the reason for that is that they're rarely seen on everyday women doing everyday kinds of things. Me, I wear them everywhere -- with sensible oxfords and housedresses at the grocery store, with day dresses and heels at work, and with suits on professional-type occasions -- and the people around me have gotten so used to it that nobody gives it a second thought. Like so much of vintage-style femininity, it's something we can reclaim if we try.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Lizzie, but there are other considerations when one works in a professional environment. This is something I posted in that other thread awhile back:

"I dress vintage to work almost every day. I do not wear seamed stockings to the office. Not only do they draw unwanted attention, but they ARE considered unprofessional by most people in the workplace. Besides, they are more expensive than regular stockings and I'd rather save them for better occasions."

I stick by it. I can wear FF to work every day if I want to, but by doing that, I will have to accept that it could have potential ramifications to my professional career. Whether or not I agree that it's right, that is just the straight reality of today's workplace.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, absolutely -- a lot depends on the context of your own individual workplace. Another thing that I think matters is age -- the younger one is, the harder it is to carry off the seams-every-day look. The guys who make remarks when you're in your twenties don't even notice you're alive when you're in your forties -- trust me, I know!

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
Thanks so much ladies

Thank you for all the input/advice from all of you. I've decided to take them back. I've tried them on but not actually worn them so there shouldn't be a problem. I decided to take them back bc when I tried them on again tonight (to try the back clasp first trick) I realized that the belt is actually too small! And if they are the right size...well then I need a girdle more than I need a garter belt! But ya'll are right and showing up at work with them would be...well, um, inappropriate. What I've decided to do instead is to try and find a garter/girdle and some nude stockings with nude seams...to start off with. (That would be okay to wear to work, right?) I know there is a different thread for garter belts and girdles elsewhere, so if I need any help with that I'll post there. Thanks again for helping out a newbie!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Well you pull on most girdles too, and that's not a problem :)

Point taken! :)
Of course I don't think of putting on a girdle as pulling it up so much as wrestling with it! lol

And I don't seem to have the problem you do with garter belts. I think we may be built slightly differently. My tummy actually is a little lower, and so the belt sucks it in a little, which I appreciate.

I haven't tried the open bottom ones. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of undies do you wear with it? And is it pull on, hook or zip? And I assume it doesn't rotate. That would be my worry. I have that problem with half slips they like to turn around and around not to mention migrating north! lol

PS

A-List Customer
I get most of my stockings from Stockingirl.com.
They have a very knowledgeable staff who answered every question I had.
They recently had a sale, that was a stocking grab bag. I picked up 8 pairs for 15 dollars. Opening the package was a bit like Christmas. They do this every so often, this month it is pantyhose...

Dracca

One of the Regulars
I usually order from secrets in lace for hosiery that I am wearing something to go out in.

For everyday wear I use these:

http://www.babygirlboutique.com/leg-avenue-1000.html

Mainly because they are backseam with NO cuban or french heal and are only $3.50 a pair. They are ok, not GREAT quality but I go through so many (probably 3 pair a week on average in Fall and Winter) no matter what the quality that I just go for a more disposable option for the daily wear that gives me the look I want and keep my nicer ones from an evening out, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner