Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
Mine didn't say 'opera length' at all, but they were both long and with big feet. I'm 5'9" with my height in my legs, and wear a size 9 shoe. The mediums were just about perfect for me. Go figure.
Hmmm. I sent an email to Magnolia with my weight, height, and shoe size (I don't know about the weight, but I'm 5'8" with a size 9 (150 lbs shhhhh! lots of muscle though), and they responded that I was right in the middle of the "Large" range. Perhaps I'll get a large and a medium, and re-sell (here)whichever one doesn't suit me.

But I don't want to get a girdle or a long line! I hope a good 6 strap garter belt will do me alright.

KittyT said:
women wore them with peep-toed shoes ALL the time. Don't worry about it.
Thanks! And perhaps I will look into Katies, although I think they're a good deal more expensive with the overseas shipping and currency conversion and all. Oh well, it's research! :D

Sunny

One Too Many
Tough Cookie said:
Hmmm. I sent an email to Magnolia with my weight, height, and shoe size (I don't know about the weight, but I'm 5'8" with a size 9 (150 lbs shhhhh! lots of muscle though), and they responded that I was right in the middle of the "Large" range. Perhaps I'll get a large and a medium, and re-sell (here)whichever one doesn't suit me.

That's interesting. I'm just under 140 (not so much muscle!), with most of the excess in the nether regions. They were far too long for my girdle (which is on the long side, but not that much) and the feet were very loose. That showed up in wrinkles at the ankles, and not the nice ordinary "I'm wearing real nylons!" wrinkles.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
I just wanted to warn you that Magnolia stockings are longer than average. The ones I ordered said 'opera length' on the label although I hadn't asked specifically for that, so maybe all the stockings they do are opera lenght. The feet seem bigger too. [huh]

I got my first pairs of black FF's, by the way! They are really flattering to the legs and not as '1980's naughty' as I feared. I even think I prefer these over the chocolate coloured and nude ones I usually wear. What are everyone's favourite stockings colours?

I don't remember who let me know this, but I know you can email them directly after you order and tell them you want Regular length instead of Opera. I think they say to order a size up with the Regular, but that certainly wasn't necessary for me.

I'm pretty short though, 5'3", 120 lbs and a size small Regular fits me perfectly.

As for favorite stocking colors go, I'm a big fan of nude with a nude seam. They're subtle, but still sexy. I wear nude with black seems usually in the evening or if I really want attention (or, I guess, if they are all I have left)! I have a pair of black with black seams that my friend got me from Agent Provocateur but have yet to wear them with something. I wanted to wear them with this gorgeous 1950's floral dress, but I guess that would be a little unorthodox.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I Love Hosiery Mate

Love it Love it Love it!!!

Hosiery Mate is awesome. I had this one pair of stockings that I tried on but alas, they were so old and brittle that runs a came :(

So, as an experiment, I washed the other one in Hosiery Mate and that softened the Nylon and made it wearable!

Man, if I had only known!

Aw well, you live and learn with stockings.

LD

Nashoba

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Love it Love it Love it!!!

Hosiery Mate is awesome. I had this one pair of stockings that I tried on but alas, they were so old and brittle that runs a came :(

So, as an experiment, I washed the other one in Hosiery Mate and that softened the Nylon and made it wearable!

Man, if I had only known!

Aw well, you live and learn with stockings.

LD

oooh thanks for the link LD! I'm going to have to check that stuff out!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FF vs RHT

Alright.

Fully Fashioned and Reinforced Heel/Toes stocking are totally different, not just for looks but fit as well.

Me being the RHT bigot I am, I decided to have a seamless day, and take out a pair of vintage RHTs that I have never worn. Geeze.

TOTALLY different fit, let me tell you. Baggier for one. You get that 'wrinkle ankle thing going on :eusa_doh: With any nylon, after a few hours, they are gonna give you a bit of stretch, these are overkill.

The seam down the back of FFs gives a tighter fit around the leg and ankle, as opposed to the circular knit of seamless.

How these won the coolness award back then I will never know!

Just my two cents ladies. Digest as need be :)

LD

BonnieJean

Practically Family
LD,
I agree with you wholeheartedly! There's nothing like FF stockings and I won't wear anything else. I noticed too how the FF fit more like a glove than the others and they really don't sag. Plus it doesn't hurt that my hubby is thrilled to see me wearing them. I've never understood how the pantyhose revolution could take over with women preferring pantyhose to stockings. I'd like to think I'm part of a new trend in feminism by wearing FF stockings.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
You will not find a true FF stocking with a sheer toe...

Sure you can, from the pairs that I have, they called the style 'sandal foot'.
794f_1.JPG

Fairly approperate huh? :) I dont wear them much. They are 15D and I am afraid that my toes will bust out the foot and create all havoc lol

I just won some off eBay that are a bit sheer than I like (15D) and a bit short. Wearable, but stop a couple of inches over the knee. This will require an adjustment of my garter belt (just when I got it perfect :rage: ) and planning on what skirt with which length stockings.

On the things we do to look supercute. :eek:

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thought you gals would get a kick out of this.

stockings.jpg

It was in my Fruit of the Loom packaging (those stockings are great BTW). Now, is this for an adult woman, or a 4 year old lol

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mary Ford? Gee, things must've gone downhill after she broke up with Les Paul.

But as for the appeal of RHTs, consider this copy from the 1948 Sears Spring and Summer catalog:

"39 cents is a small price indeed to pay for such an investment in carefree leg beauty, for you'll never worry about uneven seams when you're wearing Royal Purple no-seam sheers! Knit to flatter *all around* without a seam to twist or creep out of line!"

There you have it -- my theory is that a generation of women who'd gotten used to going barelegged during the war didn't want to go back to worrying about crooked seams. One might call it the first step down the slippery slope of creeping casualness that besets us so today!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Neat, but super expensive! $40 or so for 3 pair? Still way cheaper on ebay!

I thought so too. But if a person was looking for a particular brand, this place would be it.

I bought a large lot of vintage seamed stockings (many of them silk), but vintage sizes are not exactly the same as more modern ones, even those from the 50s. Most of them are a little short for me, so I will be putting them up on the Bay soon. But I know I couldn't get $40 for 3 pair. If I could get at least $5 a pair I'd be happy.

Any links to stockings is appreciated, so if anyone else finds a cool place for stockings, let us know! You can never have too many stockings!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive been shopping for weeks for stocking online, and the average eBay price (minus multiple pairs in one sale) is about $12-$20 a pair (not including shipping). So these, while not a bargin, are not overpriced. Just look at stockingstore.com, now thats overpriced!

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Ive been shopping for weeks for stocking online, and the average eBay price (minus multiple pairs in one sale) is about $12-$20 a pair (not including shipping). So these, while not a bargin, are not overpriced. Just look at stockingstore.com, now thats overpriced!

Maybe it's a size issue? I'm seeing lots of 3 pair of FF nude, self-seamed stockings in smaller sizes (8.5-9.5) going for about $10.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies,

not sure if this has been mentioned already, but for those of you who dance and are running your stockings, Danskin has a tight in their NYCB line that comes in a nude shade (tone) and has a seam. (Dancers like them for alignment work, but they usually only come in pink). I'm stocking up on thesse for stage work (unless it's going to be seen, we generally avoid garter belts- one less thing to go wrong during a quick change!). I've worn the tights in pink and they are very comfortable, and they're made for dancers so they really deal with the sweat better than nylons. And they are pretty darn durable- my last pair lasted thru 13 shows before running. One note- I recommend ordering a size up- these are made for skinny ballerinas and I thought the size chart ran a bit small. They're not truly authentic, but work well for me.

I ordered mine here:http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_TI_p1.html

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Roselily, I know those tights you speak of- I still have a pair of that exact style in "theatrical pink" somewhere (I wore seamed tights when I did ballet years ago). Another nice thing (though not very vintage, admittedly) is that they have a hole on the bottom so you can roll-em up to redo pedicures or go down uncarpeted wooden stairs!
I didn't know they came in a tan color though. Thanks for the tip (and reminding me about Discount Dance Supply, which I haven't thought about in ages- it makes fun browsing even though I don't have much use for most of the stuff they stock now!) :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Needing some "expertise" information re: vintage stockings

I've been debating whether or not to put up on the Bay some vintage seamed stockings I bought a while back. I thought they were too short for my legs, but I tried a pair on again today and noticed that they have a very wide band at the top. I measured it and its 6" wide. Its a lot wider than some of the more modern stockings I own. Ok, here's my question. Would it have been appropriate for a lady in the 30s to wear her stockings above the knee--that's where the top of the regular stocking ends--just above the knee and then there's a 6" band knitted on top of that that takes the stocking to about mid-thigh on me. My Rago garter/girdle straps can still reach it for a nice fit. I got to thinking that all my dresses and skirts go way below my knees and so no one knows the stocking length. I think I've gotten used to wearing my stockings up higher, or at least they appear higher because the band at the top of the stockings is not as wide. I have several pairs of original silk and rayon stockings and would rather keep them than sell them. They all fit me just fine in the foot.
I hope you understand my question.
Thanks!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats normal. The ban was especially tall on 'outsize' stockings for some reason. Those are stockings meant for an 'ample' leg. I have a few outsize with tallllll garter bands (I think thats what they are called). If you check out the pics in the vintage lane bryant thread, youll see some.

Idealy stockings should hit just at mid thigh. I have some that are a bit short and come only an inch or so over the knee, but they even made seamed knee highs, so Id say yours are fine. :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana