Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
I was by my Dillard's this weekend, and they were clearing out their Preston and York sheer thigh highs (stay ups) with back seam (nude hose, black seam) for $5.

Now these are thigh highs with a "stay-up" silicone band at the top, not true stockings which require garters, and they are the stretchy kind, but at $5 a pair, they aren't bad! ;)

Thanks for the tip! They don't come in nude seam do they?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Thanks for the tip! They don't come in nude seam do they?

I didn't see any.
Stores will have different stuff left over for clearance though, so it's possible...

I didn't realize I was getting black seams until I got them home. I didn't see a seam color listed on the package. I assumed nude meant nude hose/nude seam. It didn't. :eusa_doh: Oh well, they're still a nice bargain.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hey there everyone,
I recently bought a dead stock stockings lot. They are quite lovely, but most aren't long enough for me. I prefer my stockings to sit at mid thigh.

I would like to buy some stockings from Secrets In Lace, but find I don't fall in anywhere on their sizing chart. My legs certainly aren't long, and are not thin. Also, I'm not a plus size. Just don't know what to buy!

According to the Stockings Showcase Sizing chart, I'm probably a stocking size 10, but would prefer the stockings to be long 34 or 36. I'm just unsure how that translates to Secrets In Lace sizes...I guess that would be 'long' or 'opera'?

Thanks for any tips.

stockings.jpg

X
BD

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
I know this thread is about seamed stockings, but as I was skimming the posts, I saw someone mentioned National as a resource for unseamed stockings...which I would prefer for the work place...

http://www.shopnational.com/product.cfm/wc/405000/sgid/900__

Have any of you purchased from them? I am curious as to the quality and or appearance. At this price I am almost tempted to buy...except I don't want to be left with 6 pairs of stockings I won't wear in the event they are icky.

Any thoughts?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MirandaFern said:

Have any of you purchased from them? I am curious as to the quality and or appearance. At this price I am almost tempted to buy...except I don't want to be left with 6 pairs of stockings I won't wear in the event they are icky.

They will take returns.

I've ordered these stockings before and I didn't like them. They have a rough feel to them that isn't silky at all. Also, it's not stated in the listing, but they are RHT stockings and the reinforced areas are quite large. They are sturdy and don't seem to run easily, but I just didn't like them compared to the Hanes Silk Reflections I usually get for work.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
MirandaFern said:
I know this thread is about seamed stockings, but as I was skimming the posts, I saw someone mentioned National as a resource for unseamed stockings...which I would prefer for the work place...

Any thoughts?

I own a set of these, and I'm on the fence about them. They look all right, I guess. My biggest issue with them is the same as KittyT's: the reinforced heel and toe are just too big, and the heel slides around and ends up showing above the tops of my shoes. Not a flattering look.

They *are* comfier and more matte than modern hose (sorry, I don't have any seamed stockings to compare them to!), but I think they could stand to have a finer knit, as they look a little too "granny" - not '40s granny, modern granny - up close. They also don't seem to hold their shape very well.

They're MUCH better than the Sears seamless stockings, though. Avoid those at all costs - they're almost sparkly, and their "nude" is a weird suntan shade that looks awful on my pale legs.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
They also don't seem to hold their shape very well.

This is one problem I haven't had!

They are good in the colder weather with boots though!

They're MUCH better than the Sears seamless stockings, though. Avoid those at all costs - they're almost sparkly, and their "nude" is a weird suntan shade that looks awful on my pale legs.

Oh, the Sears ones are awful. They don't have any natural colors - as ShoreRoadLady said, their lightest shade is soooo dark!

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
They will take returns.
I'm notoriously bad about actually returning things.:)

I will try to find the hanes stockings.

I made the rather naive mistake of going to macy's (I had a gift card) to try to find stockings and a proper garterbelt (confused the poor clerk). They carried the Berkshire line, but only the pantyhose and silicone "stay up-but doesn't really stay up" kind.

Thank you, ladies, for your kind assistance.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MirandaFern said:
I will try to find the hanes stockings.

I made the rather naive mistake of going to macy's (I had a gift card) to try to find stockings and a proper garterbelt (confused the poor clerk). They carried the Berkshire line, but only the pantyhose and silicone "stay up-but doesn't really stay up" kind.

I've always purchased my Hanes stockings at Macy's! Unfortunately, the last time I went, I was told that they had stopped carrying them, which is a real pity. They are available on the Hanes website though. Also, the Hanes stay-ups that Macy's does sell really do stay up, and they are slightly flared at the top, which helps prevent "thigh spooge".

Amy

New in Town
Laundry question / Alternatives to Hosiery Mate?

Hi Girls!

I'm Amy from London. I'm new, haven't posted yet as all my questions have already been answered by your good selves somewhere in the Fedora Lounge!

I have a question: Does anyone know of any alternatives to Hosiery Mate that are available in the UK? I've just bought some vintage nylons, and would like to keep them for as long as possible. I will of course wash them before wearing (thank you Kitty T!), but I've read that this product will actually help strengthen nylon fibres. I figure my 60-70 year-old stockings will need all the help they can get, but Hosiery Mate doesn't seem to be available here. Does anyone know what the magic ingredients are? I can't find the ingredients anywhere online, and thought it might give me some clues. I know that normal fabric softener and oil are bad for nylons, and I've heard that vinegar in the final rinse helps them last longer too (somebody's grandmother on ehow). Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. My nylons and I thank you in advance! :)

Amy

New in Town
Thanks, ladies! I'll order some Hosiery Mate, and try normal delicate liquid / vinegar rinse until it arrives. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again,

A

Jessica Leigh

New in Town
Jewelled stockings are so beautiful. I'm jealous of Kitty's collection of pretty flocked stockings she showed so long ago. Kitty do you still have the ones with the green bows?

I do have a question, though. What does "dead stock" mean, when referring to these lots of stockings you ladies are buying?

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Jessica Leigh said:
Jewelled stockings are so beautiful. I'm jealous of Kitty's collection of pretty flocked stockings she showed so long ago. Kitty do you still have the ones with the green bows?

I do have a question, though. What does "dead stock" mean, when referring to these lots of stockings you ladies are buying?

I believe that Dead stock is usually stock from a store that has never been sold and is most of the time in it's original box or package. For clothing it alot of times has the original price tags on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21