Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
So, this may have been answered already, but going through 75 pages is quite a bit and I tried googling it too (although a speedy googling)...
What would be the differences in feel and wear between nylon and rayon crepe stockings? Would there be much difference at all? Such as feel, wear, more stretch to the knit in one versus the other?
Thanks ladies :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To me, rayons have a slinkier feel on the leg than nylon. It's a difficult difference to describe, but the feeling against the skin isn't the same.

Wear-wise, I find that rayon doesn't last as long as nylon, mostly because I don't think vintage rayon ages as well as vintage nylon, even when properly treated. I've had many pairs of old-stock rayons come right out of the box with pinholes in them. They're also difficult to darn.

I do think they have a bit more stretch in them than nylons -- but that's a negative as well as a positive, because while they do stretch out, they don't stretch back very well, and they can end up bagging at the ankles if you don't have exactly the right size.

This all refers to vintage rayons, by the way -- I've never tried the newly-manufactured ones.

Marla

A-List Customer
My question is about knit stockings. I'm going to knit myself a pair of wool stockings to wear in Winter, since it's too cold for nylon and cotton stockings (even when worn with layers). What would be a period-correct color for 1940s wool knit stockings? I'll be wearing these about town in the daytime, and to school.

Marla

A-List Customer
Bump! Any ideas, ladies? Would any color, as long as it's a cool color, look accurate?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sure!
Colorful knit stockings were HUGE in the 40s. Because of the ration of nylon, manufactures pushed that trend of bright and bold colors in cotton and other synthetics. Ill see if I can find some pictures for ya :)

LD

Marla

A-List Customer
Thank you, Lady Day. Pictures would be great. I couldn't find any pictures in color, myself. I know I've seen photos of 40s blue knit stockings before.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
From Vogue, June 1, 1941. The text of the colored stockings picture says (note the refernce to colored wool stockings as well): A scene you’ve never seen before this summer. Three pairs of pretty legs knee-deep in color. Three pairs of bright silk stockings- the gayest new idea for the country. Just as you’ve worn wool stockings for skiing, golf, or active sports, now you’ll have the fun of wearing bright silk stockings for spectator sports, garden parties, Sunday luncheons. They’re dramatic, and they take wearing. They’re happiest with white dresses or prints predominantly white. With white shoes or shoes to match. And with, need we say, pretty legs. All shoes and McCallum stockings: Saks-Fifth Avenue.

VogueJun11941.jpg

Found it, and in this thread, too!

LD

MissHawthorne

New in Town
Oh squee! I wasn't sure how period wearing colors was, and now? I can break out all the brights that have been sitting in my drawer. Thanks for the info!

Marla

A-List Customer
Thank you for the photo references, RodeoRose and Lady Day. They're reassuring. I'm going to make mine blue or violet.

Heather

Practically Family
Okay, so I'm wearing seamed stockings for the very first time today (yippee!) but I had difficulty getting them on straight. They're a tad off-center at the moment.lol is there a trick to this?

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
I have a question not about seamed stockings but thigh highs in general....

I ALWAYS bust through the toes of my socks. Any sock, every sock. Wide feet and evil toenails ensure that. Thanks, genetics! Have any of you ladies encountered this problem, and if so, any suggestions on fixing it? Ordering a size up, length wise? Or am I just fated to burn through nylons, tights and thigh highs twice as fast?

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi ladies,
Lately, I've been buying seamed stockings from 'Secrets in Lace.' They're quite lovely, but I had to go a size larger than usual as they are nylon. I can't wait to buy more!
X
BD

Jannie

New in Town
Myths and Optical Illusions Relating to Seamed Stockings

Since starting to wear fully fashioned seamed stockings almost daily a couple of years ago, I have been experimenting a little & made a few observations—and I would like to hear the opinions of other ladies about these points:
  1. Seamed stockings as opposed to RHT stockings have a general tendency to make your legs look slimmer
  2. Black and dark brown stockings have a tendency to make your legs look slimmer than nude and light brown stockings
  3. Cuban, Havana and Manhattan heels have a tendency to make your legs look more solid than French heels
As a Scandinavian type with very long and rather slim legs, I therefore should prefer wearing nude or light brown stockings with a Cuban or Havana heel—unless some of you ladies can convince me that my perception of these illusions is delusive...!

In addition to this, I would like to say that I wholeheartedly agree with what has been said by other ladies here—that the experience of wearing fully fashioned seamed stockings surpasses all other types of stockings.

Further, some ladies here have expressed doubts with regard to wearing seamed stockings in different contexts, such as the workplace etc.

As much as I recognize and love the fact that seamed stockings can also play a part in e.g. burlesque dance—where they definitely carry erotical connotations—it has, however, never been a problem for me to wear such stockings in contexts where the rules of the game are 'seriousness' and 'professionalism'. In my experience it depends on a) what I wear along with the stockings, not least my shoes, and b) how I conduct myself while wearing my stockings...

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm super excited and I needed to share it with people who can appreciate it. I held my breath and clicked "Buy" on 4 pairs of honest-to-goodness full fashioned vintage nylon stockings. Being fairly new to this vintage stuff and never having worn such things before, I had no idea what size to get, so I read a bunch and made a best guess. They arrived yesterday, I just tried them on tonight, and THEY FIT PERFECTLY!!! Not only do they fit, but they feel every bit as incredible as you ladies have said! I'm waiting on some shapewear to arrive - I can't wait to hook these babies up to an OBG and hit the streets! Even hopping around on one leg in the mirror trying to get my seams straight, they made me feel awesome. I feel like I need to echo Heather's question from above - it took me several (I stopped counting) tries to get my seams straight... is there a trick or technique I'm clueless on, or is it just practice?

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For making the seams straight, I try to make sure when I "runch them up" (before I put them on) I try to make sure that the seam is "straight" or directly on center with the rest of the seam. Then when I put them on, I go very slowly and twist or turn as needed to get them straight. I wear surgical gloves (so I do not get runs from my hands or nails), so if they seem a little off after I pull them on, I can twist them slightly. I wear 6-clip garter belts, and I do the back one first, and then the front one, before I do the side.

If you have a partner or a roommate, having someone help you put them on is helpful.

To help keep them straight, a trick I learned here, is to use hair spray. Spray right down the seam after you put them on, and then lightly all over your leg. It seems to help.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I'm super excited and I needed to share it with people who can appreciate it. I held my breath and clicked "Buy" on 4 pairs of honest-to-goodness full fashioned vintage nylon stockings. Being fairly new to this vintage stuff and never having worn such things before, I had no idea what size to get, so I read a bunch and made a best guess. They arrived yesterday, I just tried them on tonight, and THEY FIT PERFECTLY!!! Not only do they fit, but they feel every bit as incredible as you ladies have said! I'm waiting on some shapewear to arrive - I can't wait to hook these babies up to an OBG and hit the streets! Even hopping around on one leg in the mirror trying to get my seams straight, they made me feel awesome. I feel like I need to echo Heather's question from above - it took me several (I stopped counting) tries to get my seams straight... is there a trick or technique I'm clueless on, or is it just practice?

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sounds like you bought some amazing stockings! I too love my vintage ones. Next to those, the Secrets in Lace ones are lovely also. I haven't tried any of the What Katie Did ones.

I don't have too many problems getting the seams straight. I put them on my foot making sure the seam is at the center of my heel and pull them up (while standing in front of a mirror looking over my shoulder!) *LOL* That way, I can see if I'm getting them straight/centered while I'm putting them on. ;0
X
BD

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried Eleganti brand FF stockings? How is the quality? If you've also tried Gio, how do they compare? I have a 36" inseam so finding FF vintage stockings is rather difficult and both these brands have some longer stocking options, but the Gio is a bit more expensive.
Also, if you've bought seconds/imperfects of either of these brands, did you ever get a pair with a run in the stocking or is it usually more subtle things like dye lot, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points