Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Annalai

New in Town
Hi all,

I am petite and I have problems to find stockings the ones I have recently bought from this company in Germany http://www.branchesonline.org/?n=10&d=/products/stockings was way too long for my short legs even if I ordered the XS ones and according to the measurements chart they should fit. Do anyone know of a company selling short stockings? The stockings from this company is made the old ways but made longer for modern people and for me they do not work.

Annalai

birdiepie

New in Town
Short stockings

Hi Annalai,

Some french made stockings tend to be sized towards the shorter range. You might want to try stockings made by Cervin, their hosiery is quite lovely. Where I normally take a Mediumnin other brands, with Cervin stockings I take a Large so that they come up high enough.

If you're looking for everyday stretchy stockings www.shopnational.com carries stockings in a wide range of sizes too.

Camille

Familiar Face
I also have a tendency to murder my stockings, but since I started buying silk stockings instead of the modern lycra type, at least they hold for five to ten wears before dying.

Nylons, however, hold a heck lot better than silks.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Camille said:
I also have a tendency to murder my stockings, but since I started buying silk stockings instead of the modern lycra type, at least they hold for five to ten wears before dying.

Nylons, however, hold a heck lot better than silks.

Where do you even buy silk stockings. Those sound so luxurious. Perhaps I'll get a pair for my wedding.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I still manage to usually damage a pair of silk stockings in only one use!:eusa_doh: I agree, secrets in lace has a lot of great stuff.

Camille

Familiar Face
Miss Dottie said:
Where do you even buy silk stockings. Those sound so luxurious. Perhaps I'll get a pair for my wedding.

I buy my silk stockings vintage. There are some really good stores in Sweden that's bunked up a stock of unused pairs, so I go there a couple of times a year to buy half of their stock out. :D

New silk stockings are sort of expensive, though, and really, I would never pay 40$ for a pair of stockings that only holds a couple of times, silk or not.

There's a wonderful store in Copenhagen that sells nylons and silks produced on an old knittingmachine from the 40's.

<Link removed due to violation of allowable lingerie links. No nudity allowed. Bartender could not message poster due to having less than 15 posts at time of editing; thus PM box doesn't work.>

Unfortunately, the site is completely in danish. (I can't even read it properly, and at least I'm Scandinavian. :O)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
cuban heels: I own a pair and love the look of them, the only thing I had difficulty was learning to get the seam perfectly centered at the back of my legs :eusa_doh: But with wearing them, I have gotten a lot of compliments on them, and not just from men! I find with the right dress and shoes, they look spectacular.
I found out the hard way why not to buy thigh highs without wearing any girdle straps with them....the stockings stayed up most of the night, but towards the end they started inching their way down, which of course is NOT good!
I tend to wear seam stocking with 'dressier' dresses, but can you also get away with wearing them, with something more on the simple side also?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear full-fashioned seamed hose every day when I'm working at the theatre, as the finishing touch to 40s-era day dresses. I have a number of vintage pairs picked up from thrift stores, eBay, and such, but most of what I wear is plain old Style 3975 from Magnolia -- I replenish my supply in three-pair lots every couple of months or so, and can generally get 5-7 wears per pair if I'm careful. One thing that's important is to rinse them out thoroughly with gentle soap right after wearing -- it really does seem to extend the wear.

The longest wearing seamed stockings I've ever found are mesh-knit "no run" Phoenix brand from the mid-fifties. I got a full NOS box of these last year, and have yet to lose a single pair to runs or snags. They aren't easy to find, but they're well worth the search.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Camille said:
I buy my silk stockings vintage. There are some really good stores in Sweden that's bunked up a stock of unused pairs, so I go there a couple of times a year to buy half of their stock out. :D

New silk stockings are sort of expensive, though, and really, I would never pay 40$ for a pair of stockings that only holds a couple of times, silk or not.

There's a wonderful store in Copenhagen that sells nylons and silks produced on an old knittingmachine from the 40's.

LINK REMOVED

Unfortunately, the site is completely in danish. (I can't even read it properly, and at least I'm Scandinavian. :O)

Thanks for the feedback Camille--Hmmm... that's a lot of coin to spend on a pair of stockings and I like the look of nylon just fine.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
MissTayva said:
Since Magnolia has already been mentioned...

Two of my OTHER favorite sites for stockings:
LINK REMOVED

I find the pricing to be very reasonable, for how long they last. You'll probably end up finding a lot of other cute ensembles and seperates at those two places, as well. AP has some very cute retro-inspired pieces (bubblegum pink bullet bras). I'm already salivating thinking of it! :)

I absolutely love AP. My best friend took me to their San Francisco shop yesterday and bought me a pair of off-black seamed stockings for my birthday. I have yet to wear them out (my girdle with the garters is at home and I'm visiting my parents right now!), but they look beautiful and I'm very excited to wear them.

I just wish I were richer so I could buy some AP lingerie. They are having an excellent sale right now, but they are out of my size in the things I want.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Just a gentle reminder to please review your links as fully as possible before posting lingerie sites. Some sites are appropriate, some are not. Several were removed tonight that were not appropriate that had pic of topless women. Remember this is a family friendly site.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Seamed Stockings

I'm off to a forties event (day time) at the weekend and I have one pair of flesh tone nylon seams and two pairs of black.
Now, I was pondering this and I have no idea if black stockings were prevalent by day back then. Does anyone know? I suppose you got what you could get in the UK what with rationing but if black were really not the norm, then it’s back to my usual pair of flesh toned and I’ll have to put up with elderly gents with their noses on my hem having a look at my seams lol

Rosie

One Too Many
I am not sure if black stocking were worn during the day. Looking at old movies, many times it is hard to tell if ladies are wearing stocking at all until you see the seam so, I suppose they would have ben flesh toned. Admittedly, I'm not an expert so I can not say for sure.

Rosie

One Too Many
Folly, while watchig a short this morning which was obviously from the 40s, a lady WAS wearing black stockings during the day, iin fact, she was shopping. So, I guess it can be done!

Kaela

Vendor
Yes, I've noticed you may get a little more attention than usual with just the flesh toned stockings. One thing that helps is to get ones with a matching seam, rather than a black one, and they aren't so obvious. But look good with everything. I've seen black stockings worn with outfits I would never have put together, but then again, the 40's was great because outfits were more, I guess colorful, and so stockings even weren't always matched to the dress. I'd say though, that as a good rule, stay away from wearing black with something that is too casual, or too pastel.
I'm no expert either, but I'd say that's what I would probably do myself, and from what I've seen in old magazines and such, it seems like black stockings are more of an evening thing.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Rosie - I actually saw a woman at the event in black stockings, but I ended up wearing flesh tone after all. I fely much more comfortable with those.

Kaela - My flesh tone ones do have a self colour seam which is why they get the attention, people want to get a close look at the seam! My dress was navy with daisies and the black did go well, but I always assocaite black with evening wear.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Hello Folly,

I think the flesh tone stockings were common in the past.

A question to you, I still can't manage it to keep my seams straight. When I walk around with my seamed stockings for a while they always end up somewhere at the inside of my calves. [huh]
How do you (or you Ladies) manage it to keep them straight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24