Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The terminology is as follows (but if you order them online read the description as they may not know). If there are amendments Im sure the other ladies will correct me :)

Fully fashioned (FF) stockings are seamed more often than not with a reinforced heel and toe.

Reinforced Heel and Toe (RHTs) are seamless with just extra reinforcement on, well, the heel and toe :)

Sandalfoot stockings are FFs with no reinforced heel and toe. They are rare but you see them from time to time. You can easily pass off new cosmetic stockings as sandalfoots. To be worn with sandals (how practical the naming of things were back then).

Looking for stockings online I rarely see these terms interchanged.

I feel your pain on the FFs coming to the knee. I get that a lot too. My legs must be a few inches past the norm (Im 5' 7") as well.

LD

cecil

A-List Customer
Thankyou for clearing that up for me Lady Day! I've never heard of Sandalfoot stockings before. But yes, I've got an old pair of pantyhose that have the fake "seams" stitched up the back. I think that's a good enough excuse to buy some new sandals, yes? It's spring here and RetroSpec'd sells some from the Remix line about two minutes walk from my house.. :D

Lenore

Practically Family
Question to those ladies who have ordered from Magnolia Hosiery:
How long did it take your stockings to come in?

I'm impatient!

Lenore

Practically Family
*taps foot* I ordered on the 4th....

granted it was late in the day... and the weekend was in there... [huh]

I'll keep my fingers crossed they're waiting for me when I get home.

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:
*taps foot* I ordered on the 4th....

granted it was late in the day... and the weekend was in there... [huh]

I'll keep my fingers crossed they're waiting for me when I get home.

Let us know what you think of them! I've been wanting some nice stockings.

cupcake

Familiar Face
For the aussie ladies looking for seamed rht stockings - voodoo and another brand who's name escapes me both do a vintage range. Available at myer.

cecil

A-List Customer
cupcake said:
For the aussie ladies looking for seamed rht stockings - voodoo and another brand who's name escapes me both do a vintage range. Available at myer.

The Leona Edmiston ones are nice. Were you thinking of those? I'm yet to buy a pair but they looked and felt lovely. Oh and they have the fake cuban heel which is always good.

cupcake

Familiar Face
Yes! Those are the ones. They have sheer black and nude ones which are always nice. The quality of their other products is great so im looking forward to trying these out

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
WalMart

If any of you ladies in the USA (not sure about foreign countries,sorry) have a Walmart around the bolck, I found seamed black and nude STOCKINGS for $5 over in the panty hose areas but in a longer thinner box & it says right on there "Seamed" hose NO GARTER some I guess come with a "cheaply" made garter!
JUST F Y I!
Rita

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Really? I'll have to check my Wally World!

Speaking of seams being hard to find... (not that we were speaking of it ;)) I had a thought the other day while watching a wartime documentary:

We all know shortages in the UK made stockings impossible to get, so ladies used cold tea on their legs and drew on the seams. Has anyone tried drawing on seams before putting on plain stockings? The pencil, if set with a bit of powder, might not rub off on the material. Plus, it would save straightening time.

I'm going to try it next time I wear stockings, and see how it works. It might be a silly idea (I was half-asleep, granted) but what the hey?

jemjefferson

New in Town
Lenore- Did you ever get your stockings? I ordered on the 3rd and was finally able to speak with someone yesterday about them. He was finally going to ship them yesterday. I guess he was out of stock.

Lenore

Practically Family
jemjefferson said:
Lenore- Did you ever get your stockings? I ordered on the 3rd and was finally able to speak with someone yesterday about them. He was finally going to ship them yesterday. I guess he was out of stock.

Not yet. I spoke with Wayne this morning and apparently they were having some difficulty with their click n ship program. I should have them for Saturday. *sighs* I'm impatient.

LadyL

New in Town
I had a bit of a disappointing experience with seamed stockings - I thought I hit the motherload when I found Givency black seamed stockings at a discount store for $3/pop! They only had smalls and mediums so I bought 4 mediums hoping they'd fit (I'm between sizes if stockings run small). Sadly...they ran small. I can get them on but they don't really pull all the way up properly, and in my attempts to correct this I managed to poke holes in 2 pairs already. Oh, and one pair was actually just plain grey stockings - there must have been a labeling error with the batch which was why they were in a discount store. Oh well! I still have one pair still in the packaging, if I ever lose those pesky 10 lbs. maybe I can wear them then.

Lenore

Practically Family
Lenore said:
Not yet. I spoke with Wayne this morning and apparently they were having some difficulty with their click n ship program. I should have them for Saturday. *sighs* I'm impatient.

Yay! I just got the click n shop confirmation!!

cecil

A-List Customer
LadyL said:
I had a bit of a disappointing experience with seamed stockings - I thought I hit the motherload when I found Givency black seamed stockings at a discount store for $3/pop! They only had smalls and mediums so I bought 4 mediums hoping they'd fit (I'm between sizes if stockings run small). Sadly...they ran small. I can get them on but they don't really pull all the way up properly, and in my attempts to correct this I managed to poke holes in 2 pairs already. Oh, and one pair was actually just plain grey stockings - there must have been a labeling error with the batch which was why they were in a discount store. Oh well! I still have one pair still in the packaging, if I ever lose those pesky 10 lbs. maybe I can wear them then.

I'm often described as "skinny" and only 5'7" but I've worn 'tall' or 'large' sized stockings and pantyhose since puberty! lol I'm of the opinion that hosiery sizing has always run small. I find fully-fashioned sizing to be a little better though, for once the sizing chart is accurate! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot