Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

liten

One of the Regulars
yer m8 very much like that? 1858 thats the hardee hat era ,and thats more than likely what it is, except the crowns been squeezed up , ive got some pics , il see if i can post,

CoveredPate

New in Town
M1889 Campaign Hat

Hello All:

Just joined the CHC and glad to be amongst such august company. Back in May, I visited Peters Bros Hats in Ft Worth. Joe Peters showed me his rendition of the M1889 Campiagn Hat that was used in an upcoming movie by John Sayles. You see Joe's work on John's movie blog page:

http://johnsaylesbaryo.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-04-17T23:49:00-07:00&max-results=7

Make sure you hit the "Older Posts" link at the bottom of the page to see additional photo stills. Joe made all of the Campaign Hats used in the movie except those worn by the officers. The movie is about the USA's occupation of the Phillipines shortly after the Spanish American War in 1900. It should be in theaters by the Fall of 2010.

For those of you that have been wondering if Eureka Arsenal is still in business, I can assure you that you can still obtain Span-Am gear from them. I spoke with the owner, Jim, two weeks ago and placed an order for an M1889. There is a bit of a backlog, though, as Jim needs to get some new "blanks" before he can starting forming the hats.

Semper Fi!

Jim

Panache

A-List Customer
I just saw this thread and was delighted because I just joined the Campaign hat corps!

DSC03837.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Panache,

I like your different choices of headgear with kilts, I remember the fez. I myself have worn cowboy hats, fedoras and straw pith helmets with kilts. I think all of those are better than ballcaps with kilts.

The scout apparel with kilt is great. My brother-in-law is a scout leader and kilt wearer, but I don't know if he ever wore that combo before.

Slainte

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I just spent a most enjoyable 1-1/2 hours perusing this wonderfully interesting thread. I'm still researching the background to a hat I've grown increasingly fond of, bought off the USbay (where else to buy wonderful hats than in the USA?), a Nutria quality Stetson "park ranger hat". Smelled as if it'd been locked up in a cupboard full of stale...1898... Cuban cigars. Hard and rough at the touch. Sweatband like cardboard, meanwhile replaced. No ribbon... It obviously is not a campaign hat. The brim is exactly 3 inches overall, the weight is ... heavy ... the rim is incredibly stiff, but I've pounced the crown into a nice softness and it's getting very pliable. A very sturdy piece of gear, no doubt about that.
....(slight shame) I've forgotten how to post pictures. A promise: will do...mañana.

Thos Philippine photo's (in the thread) are absolutely fantastic: the first one, the trooper wearing "alpargatas". Exactly like the traditional Spanish footwear which were "standard" issue in the Spanish republican army during the 1936-1939 Spanish civil war! (and -minus the laces- exactly the same as the, holed but ever so comfortable, ones I'm wearing right now - made in Bangladesh, I'm afraid). The trooper in the picture must have gotten that from a local (Spanish) shop, or even perhaps from the Spanish army... You do realize the "Philippines" were named after king Philip II of Spain.

Kind respectful regards from Belgium.

Edit: I'm trying to post that picture...lesssee now...

IMG_1751.jpg

¡Yesssss!
Here's the sweatband mark (which I inadvertently ...cut up... and lost!)

NutriaqualityStetsonrangerhatsweatbandview.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pablo, that hat looks amazing. I like the look of that belt band.

Here's a cool little hat I found while looking through the exhibits at our on-campus museum, the McClung Museum. It is stated to be a Union soldier's hat, dated around 1862 (I'm not sure if this is when it was made). It looks well-worn :), but I think it could benefit from a good reblocking lol!

CampaignHat.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
This is a plaque that was given to me when I came off the Drill Sergeant Trail. I spent 3 years as a DS in the US Army. This is the actual hat and whistles I used.
Feb122010987.jpg

DrillSergeanthatcleanedApril2010.jpg

HOOAH !

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Here is my Campaign Hat. bought it at the Canada Pavilion at EPCOT Center on my Honeymoon in 1991. Notice the Canadian style of Montana Peek (Dent in the front.

Jeff
mountyslouchlookdown.jpg

1961MJS

Hi

What current "regular hat color" are the M1889 Campaign hats from the Spanish American War? One of the colors I'm considering for a not EXACTLY traditional Campaign hat would match that hat. Sand, Sahara, Undyed Natural, Silver Belly, Other?

Thanks

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
Makes me wonder if my family still has my great-grandfather's WWI campaign hat. We have his overcoat and an artillery shell, but what of his hat? We DO have his later fedora from Stevens Hat Co.

1961MJS

Hi

Do I get to claim membership based on a What Price Glory British Bush Hat? I wear mine a lot and I finally got some pictures while I was at the range.

Right Side:
WPG_Bush_Hat_1_2_Post.JPG

Front (note the gap between the Pug and the Wool):
WPG_Bush_Hat_2_2_Post.JPG

Left Side:
WPG_Bush_Hat_4_2_Post.JPG

This is what I bought:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=987&bc=no

I wore this hat in the rain and it shrunk. I COULD get it reshaped, but I think I'll get an Akubra or a Stetson Temple from the Outlet store in St. Joe as a replacement.

I also own a Statton Campaign hat, but I'm planning on trading it at Trapper's Rendezvous this January.

stevyn

New in Town
Yes Fits quite well really.
I was looking for information on the Coast Defense Batterys at Camp Hayden which is near me in western Washington and found these. Hope you enjoy.

CoastDefOfficers.jpg

ftcolumbus.jpg

CoastArtilleryFtWorden-1.jpg

:D

Last edited:

1961MJS

Can anyone tell me if the current production Stratton F-40 Campaign Hat is a fur felt, or wool? I have an Army surplus DI hat in wool, but I’m pretty unimpressed with the quality, and I’m wondering what might be a reasonably priced equivalent in fur.

-Dave

Hi Dave

http://www.strattonhats.com/about.html says that they're fur. I'd email them and ask. You also might call Levine's hat shop in Saint Louis and see if they have your size in their outlet story. Those are about $25.00. One I bought and gave away, was a 7 3/8 Wide Oval, and I'm not a wide oval. The hat itself was in great shape though. The other I got for my son was moth eaten, but then it's a camping hat so who cares?

http://www.levinehat.com/

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ