Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

indycop

I'll Lock Up
draws said:
Here are my candidates for the Campaign Hat Corps. All three are original M1911 versions. The first is a Stetson and the last two are mfg unknown. All three are in great condition.
Be good to that INFANTRY cord that's a hard earned color!!;)

draws

Practically Family
indycop said:
draws said:
Here are my candidates for the Campaign Hat Corps. All three are original M1911 versions. The first is a Stetson and the last two are mfg unknown. All three are in great condition.
Be good to that INFANTRY cord that's a hard earned color!!;)
I have 5 of the original infantry and 3 original cavalry cords.

Caz

New in Town
My submission for consideration for joining the Corps...

First hat has been dated back to 1917-18...paid $39 at an "antique mall" a few months back...

sc8gaw.jpg

2ltk8iw.jpg

2m4wwh0.jpg

jh4ops.jpg

This second hat I bought at a Goodwill-type store for $2.00 about 30+ years ago. It had an original price tag of $20 on the hat and the band was $4.95 with a Meir and Franks tag, though the hat indicates purchase elsewhere.

2vwafc9.jpg

2agnlsl.jpg

140ag7c.jpg

5yw55v.jpg

2567c00.jpg

This last one is simply a straw summer Trooper hat I believe...it is a wall hanger and came from another "antique mall" for $14.00 if I recall correctly.

2qaob3p.jpg

That gentlemen is the extent of my campaign hat collection at this point in time. I hope it is sufficient to be accepted into the fine upstanding Corps.

draws

Practically Family
Caz said:
First hat has been dated back to 1917-18...paid $39 at an "antique mall" a few months back...

sc8gaw.jpg

2ltk8iw.jpg

2m4wwh0.jpg

jh4ops.jpg
Caz, your hats are very nice. All are in great condition. I do have a question about your hat being dated back to 1917-18. First of all, did the hat cord come with the hat or was it added later?

If it came with the hat, that would imply military usage. Military campaign hats can be easily identified and aged. Military campaign hats made prior to and during World War One up through 1919 were made of rabbit fur and were distinctive by 5 rows of stitching along the edge of the brim. Also, the brim thickness was thin and the stitching provided some re-enforcement. After 1920, military campaign hats can be identified by 2 rows of stitching plus a few other minor changes. Later on, can't remember the dates, military campaign hats were made with a thicker brim and had a more defined cupping on the peak.

It looks like this might be a variant of hats manufactured perhaps in the late 20s or early 30s since the cupping at the peak is earlier than those of the 1940s and beyond. I really cannot be certain beyond that. It is possible that campaign hats without stitching on the brims and with thicker brims were made in the teens but they would not be military. However, it does look military. That's hard to say.

I am going to try to locate some documentation relating to the miitary variants and post it here later but it may take me a little time to find it.

Your second and third hats are very nice and I know very little about them.

Caz

New in Town
Re. the first hat...

Dennis,

The hat is exactly as I bought it. I have no idea when the red cord was added.

I dated it according to the pattern on the ribbon band with the pattern of thick vs. thin vertical strips on it, and by changes made in the trademark stamp inside the hat.

I have no idea if the references that I used are reliable or not.

"1916-1920

This is the time period when the US entered the war and as such, massive quantities of material were needed to feed, clothe, and equip and army. Enlisted hats of this period have similar qualities as the previous era save a few subtle differences. One is the appearance of metal grommets for a leather chinstrap, and the disappearance of shoestring ties. Also Quartermaster stamps with the following: contract number [3] and manufacturer in black ink. are present under the sweatband. But most importantly the "tell tale" marking of a World War One hat is the 'United Hatters Union of North America' paper tag approximately 1 inch by 1 inch tag has the following details: two hands shaking superimposed over a globe with crossed US Flags at the side and underneath is the words:'registered trademark.'

Another feature is the construction of the ribbon, it has the following characteristics: alternating thick and thin ribbing, usually one thick followed by two thin and another thick, earlier and latter models of hats have standard thin ribbing all along with no alteration of sizes. By the end of 1920-21 ornamental stitching no longer appears on enlisted hats. Again research shows many companies got contracts to produce hats and variations abound. It is up to the collector to determine if the hat is genuine. Another feature is the reed used to make the sweatband stiff and apply a base between the felt and the leather, after 1920 or so reeds weren't necessarily used and plastic and other materials replaced them."

I found this info here:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/camph.htm

draws

Practically Family
Caz said:
Dennis,

I dated it according to the pattern on the ribbon band with the pattern of thick vs. thin vertical strips on it, and by changes made in the trademark stamp inside the hat.

"1916-1920

This is the time period when the US entered the war and as such, massive quantities of material were needed to feed, clothe, and equip and army. Enlisted hats of this period have similar qualities as the previous era save a few subtle differences. One is the appearance of metal grommets for a leather chinstrap, and the disappearance of shoestring ties. Also Quartermaster stamps with the following: contract number [3] and manufacturer in black ink. are present under the sweatband. But most importantly the "tell tale" marking of a World War One hat is the 'United Hatters Union of North America' paper tag approximately 1 inch by 1 inch tag has the following details: two hands shaking superimposed over a globe with crossed US Flags at the side and underneath is the words:'registered trademark.'

Another feature is the construction of the ribbon, it has the following characteristics: alternating thick and thin ribbing, usually one thick followed by two thin and another thick, earlier and latter models of hats have standard thin ribbing all along with no alteration of sizes. By the end of 1920-21 ornamental stitching no longer appears on enlisted hats. Again research shows many companies got contracts to produce hats and variations abound. It is up to the collector to determine if the hat is genuine. Another feature is the reed used to make the sweatband stiff and apply a base between the felt and the leather, after 1920 or so reeds weren't necessarily used and plastic and other materials replaced them."

I found this info here:

Caz, the Doughboy Center explanation is what was needed. This is good reading material regardless and helps explain the differences between the periods of mfg. By the way, the Red Campaign hat cord is an artillery cord. Thanks for the clarifications.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely campaign covers! Nice to see some activity in this thread! WPG has their M1911 available, and yes, it isn't cheap,but it looks good. I might be tempted;) .

dean

Caz

New in Town
Hey Dean...

Could you please post the link to the WPG site with the M1911 hats?

Thanks!

Caz

I have a vintage campaign hat in the attic & a current day wool one bought for BSA use as Asst Scout Master (for fun messing with the Scouts). I'll get some photos up later on. I do want to get a good quality fur felt one instead of the cheap wool one.

doughboy1917

New in Town
campaign hats

Caz said:
Dennis,

"1916-1920

I found this info here:

Hi my name is Darren Lichty, I am the author of this article on the doughboy center. I wrote this piece about 10 yrs ago now. Mike Hanlon encourged me to do so. I do plan on updating the info with Langliers work 'Hats off headgear of the US Army.' But being the busy Forest Ranger I am I don't have much time. I would apprieciate any info and critisms. I currently own about 35 campaign hats from the M1883 to a modern DI all fur felt. I have about 6 from WW2 and 25 from WW1 5r and 2r stitching variants.
However some WW1 hats didn't always have a 5 r of stitching. Thanks for letting me join?
Darren

Quesnel BC Canada

Caz

New in Town
Hey Doughboy...

I appreciate your input. I am new here too, but appreciate the work you have put into your web site. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Anything else you can tell me about my particular hat, I would appreciate.

I am quite familiar with your area of B.C. I lived beside the Dog Creek Reservation of the Shuswap tribe. We were on the Circle S Ranch near Dog Creek and the river. Spent time between 100 Mile House and Williams Lake as well. Still have friends in the area.

Welcome aboard form another new comer.

p51

One Too Many
Great stuff, my Cowboy Shooting "persona" is that of a staff officer with the 1st USV Cav: http://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/captainleebishop.htm
Sadly, the campaign hat didn't actually come in a size that would fit me today as the largest numbered size they came in was under 7 1/2. So I have had to settle for a not-so authentic hat from Coon Creek. Nobody makes a good accurate repro large enough to fit my 7 3/4 coconut.
for Dirty Billy's, I wouldn't take a leak on the place if it was on fire (and in fact would go get a bag of marshmallows to enjoy by the fire). I ordered a CW-era hat from them personally at their Gettysburg store in 1998. He delivered the hat months later than promised, about $40 more then promised, and an entire numbered size too small. :rage: When I returned it, he looked up my personal phone number and left a voice mail stating for me never to order from him again. [bad]
I wouldn't take a leak on his building if it were on fire and his children were inside. Seriously, they're the absolute worst customer service I've encountered anywhere...
:kick:

skbellis

One of the Regulars
P51,

Thanks for the warning about Dirty Billy's poor customer service. I have really been "lusting" over a Span. Am. war campaign hat. I guess it is that craxzy pinch at the top. Since most of the posts in this thread are couple of years old now does anyone have any updates? Who is a good supplier of this model of hat?

Cheers,

Scott

liten

One of the Regulars
make yr own

be best to make yr own hat , buy a hat with a high crown and simala size brim, and get the iron out lol im thinkn on those lines , ive tryed one of dirty bill campaign hat atempt:rage:

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Here are mine. The left side is my 1883 pattern hat, and on the right is an Australian. The 1883 Pattern w/snowflake vent is an F. Burgess Hat, I bought it about ten years ago. It is 90%wool, 10%fur construction.

The Australian Hat was picked up at a collectors table, at of all places the Burbank Airport whilst the Collings Foundations B-17, and B-24 were on display. A local (Torrance I believe) militaria dealer had a small table set up with the displays.

The sweatband is present, but wear has erased any makers marks. The only legible stamping is "Pure Wool Felt" on the front of the sweat band. The insignia say's "Australian Military Forces", rather than "Australian Defense Forces", which is what I think the issue today says. I don't know exactly how old the hat is, so anyone with any ideas I would like to hear it.

IMG_1139.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
This Campaign Hat has the side air vent holes in a star pattern...

This Campaign Hat has the side air vent holes in a star pattern:

b3.jpg

Does anybody have any idea why some hats have the vent holes arranged in the star pattern and others in the snowflake pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot