Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if this qualifies? My latest acquisition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290224337533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

5624_1_sbl.JPG

I'm going to try to go for this look with it as far as the shape of it.
2595_12.jpg

One of my favorite films. Just a tad hard to find any good screen captures for reference photos is all.

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
GWD said:
RBH, I knew there was something I liked about you. Gunny Hathcock has been my Hero for the last 10 years since I read "Marine Sniper" I think I have read everything about him, I have a poster of him in my gun safe, I have a Carlos Hathcock "Whitefeather" rifle sling for my sniper rifle! What a truly great human being. I'm honored to share this forum with his cousin!

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
Last time I was home I looked for, but couldn't find, mine. It's nothing special, just a military surplus Drill Instructor's model that's a shade too small for me (probably 7 1/4 or 7 1/8) but it satisfied a long-held desire. I'd love to get a cavalry or field-artillery hat cord for it. Are these reproduced? Seems like a vintage one would look silly on my nearly new hat. Also, I've got to get the brim into a "cavalry curve" because right now it's bent up in the front so you can tip it way forward on your head and scream at people without getting spittle on the brim.

-Dave

The cords are called "acorn cords." They are reproduced. A search will produce several sources. This site has about the best prices I've seen:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=11181&TabID=

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, so now that I have this campaign hat it is going to be a project hat for me. In that I am going to replace the sweatband & ribbon to make it more civilian like. The current sweatband is as they described & is a synthetic so I want to replace it with a good quality leather reeded sweatband. I had heard that at one time Rocky Mountain Hat Company used to sell bits & bobs for the novice hat refurbisher but I'm not sure if they do any more. Other than the Hat Supply company (hatsupply.com) what others are out there that offer quality product at a reasonable cost? Also I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction concerning the replacement ribbon. Thanks for any help you folks can offer. :)

Cheers!

Dan

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
I'll most likely want to soften it up to make it more pliable & do a brim job similar to this.
2595_12.jpg

One of my favorite films & a good looking lid to boot.
So, any suggestions on how to refurbish this lid are most welcome. But, I think I want to leave the Montana crown shape though. I think I'm going to have to reverse engineer how they sewed in the sweatband to figure it out. This should be interesting.

Cheers!

Dan

I'm sorry I can't offer any helpful advice, but I salute your choice of hat to emulate. I've often admired that hat. Whenever I look at the Millerhats site, the campaign covers call to me. :p

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Dan, sorry I missed your earlier posts; I haven't checked back on this thread in a while.

I picked up a few sweatbands from Bud-in-Texas a while ago, if you're interested. They're a good quality leather, reeded sweatband, and since I've got a couple spares I can't think of a more deserving project! Drop me a PM with your address and I'll have it out to you ASAP.

Just added the Johnson flick to my NetFlix queue, too; thanks for the recommendation.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Semper Fi!

Mojave Jack said:
Dan, sorry I missed your earlier posts; I haven't checked back on this thread in a while.

I picked up a few sweatbands from Bud-in-Texas a while ago, if you're interested. They're a good quality leather, reeded sweatband, and since I've got a couple spares I can't think of a more deserving project! Drop me a PM with your address and I'll have it out to you ASAP.

Just added the Johnson flick to my NetFlix queue, too; thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks MJ! PM sent. :) Thank you!

Cheers!

Dan

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
OT

Funny, I to remember mount.........

I was a Corpsman - sent to FMSS in '76. Spent 3 1/2 years with the Marines.

I even spent a year at Camp Hansen and frequently ran down to Camp Smedly D. Butler.

Spent a little time "out to the Stumps," too.

All the rest of my time was in the 13 (?) area at Camp Pendelton.

I do miss living in Fallbrook.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Stumps is where I live, now. Came here voluntarily, though most folks thought I was a bit tetched, and hope never to leave.

Dan, the package went out Tuesday AM, so should be hitting your mailbox any day.

Rough Rider

New in Town
Here's a pic of me SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) outfit, minus my second pistol and huckleberry shoulder holster. My alias is Captain Bob Masterson SASS #58272. My persona is that of a Captain in the 1st Regiment of U.S.V. Cavalry 1898. Uniform is loosely based what was worn in the 1997 TNT movie "Rough Riders". I made the waist belt, the shotgun shell belt is a copy of an 1876 army "Prarie" belt I got from Cabelas, the McKeever cartridge box is from Pacific Canvas & Leather, the holster is a 1885 cavalry model by Carrico Leather. My campaign hat is an old 3X beaver Stetson I got on Ebay. Steamed in a proper center crease and reshaped the brim a bit. I made a gross grain ribbon hat band with military style bow and added a braided bullion officer's hat cord and 1872 crossed sabers hat device. The old stetson while not exactly like a issue Model 1889 campaign hat, the brim is wider and lacks the several rows of stitching and the snowflake vents in the crown, is a reasonable facsimile what a circa 1898 cavalry officer would have privately purchased.

Rough Rider

97small.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey, great thread, thanks for bringing it forward, I hadn't seen it before. RR, your outfit is probly the best SASS duds I've seen. When I was in the game, the lack of historical knowledge/accuracy griped me so much I finally gave it up.

Got any links to turn of the century to 1940 US Cavalry uniforms/equipage?

My Dad was a Cavalry officer from when he graduated the Point in 1933, to 1941 when he went into war plans.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
shortbow said:
Got any links to turn of the century to 1940 US Cavalry uniforms/equipage?

I would love to see that stuff too.

My Dad was a Cavalry officer from when he graduated the Point in 1933, to 1941 when he went into war plans.

My great-grandfather was an EM with the 7th Cavalry in the 1890s and retired as an officer right after the Great War.

-Dave

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I will take some pictures of me this weekend on horseback with my Colt 45 "Evil Roy" and hoslter. The horses need some attention anyway. Its just so darn hot outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21