Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deanglen, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Orvil Newton

Orvil Newton One of the Regulars

I know I'm late with this but...

Sky blue= Infantry, red= Field Artillery, yellow= Cavalry (Air Cav or Armor in the modern Army), orange= Signal Corps, green= Military Police. Colors have changed over the years but the basics, Infantry blue, Cavalry Yellow("She wore a Yellow Ribbon") and Artillery red, have remained more or less constant.

2. 1stsargent

1stsargent New in Town

I am really interested in picking up a 1889 or span-am era repro campaign hat and was wondering who makes the best and most authentic version. I see that Dirty Bills, Eureka Arsenal and a place called River Junction all make a version so I need help deciding which one to buy? I really know nothing about these hats other than the original army specs and the fact I really want one. Price is not really a concern as I am looking to buy once and buy something that authentic and well built. Any feedback helps.

3. deanglen

deanglen My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dirty Billy's is very good. I owned one once and sold it to another Lounger.
    Can't say about the other two, but River Junction looks good, but the wool felt versus fur felt will apparently effect the cost, and since that isn't a problem for you, I'd go for Dirty Billy's and consider a personal re-ribbon of the hat.

dean

4. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

Hi dean, hope all is well with you? Guess that lounger is me?

And 1stsargent, welcome to the lounge.

I have a Dirty Billy's hat which was modified by deanglen and i am extremely pleased with it. For easy reference here are some pictures of it which was posted earlier in this thread:

5. Speedster

...and some further pictures of the Dirty Billy's hat for reference which was posted earlier in this thread:

6. Speedster

Welcome to the lounge Rough Rider from another Rough Rider.

7. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

Does anybody here know of a source for good quality ribbon material in a variety of widths? I'm going to convert a modern campaign hat into something more early 1900's miner or ex-cavalry look. Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

Dan

8. shortbow

shortbow Practically Family

Double ditto on that question!

9. shortbow

BTW, that is one hell of a nice Peacemaker.

10. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

Yes, it is a nice Colt SAA. Looks to be an original? If so, a really nice piece.

Quick question for all about the hat cords. Often you do see them tied in front of the keeper to shorten the cords for mounted troops (to keep them from thumping the brim of the hat as riding). BUT, was there a regulation on how they were to be tied.??? Just wondered..

Steve

11. deanglen

deanglen My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dan, I found tan 5/8" grosgrain ribbon at Wal-Mart. It's not hat making ribbon, but that is available on the the web. I just googled it one time and got some that way. Not bad, even the right kind. Hat making ribbon is easier to work with than the craft quality stuff at Wal-Mart. I sent some 5/8" tan ribbon from Wal-Mart to Mojave Jack but never heard if he used it for his Marine campaign cover circa 1890s.

dean

12. shortbow

There is a well worn "vintage stetson" on the bay right now that would morph into a campaign hat real easily. Right color et al.

13. Highlander

Highlander A-List Customer

[​IMG]Well, while it's not an orginal. It is a Stetson second I got from the Outlet store in St. Joseph, MO, about 25 years ago. It was a US Forest Service hat, with a cattleman crease. After main a rainy day, I kept reforming it til it came to this CAMPAIGN hat form. It does have the grossgrain ribbon(not as wide as the orignals). But it makes for a good looking campaign hat.

14. Colby Jack

Colby Jack Call Me a Cab

Welcome to the lounge Rough Rider from a fellow SASS member....#73840...:D

15. 1stsargent

1stsargent New in Town

I got the skinny from WPG that he will be making the most authentic and well made 1889 campaign hat on the market today. It will not be cheap though at about $315. But it is claimed to follow all the original specs right down to 4 oz spec weight and to be made from the best quality materials.

16. Dakota Ellison

Dakota Ellison New in Town

I ordered one from Dirty Billy's, but not wanting to wait 12 to 16 weeks, I made the below hat from a resistol cowboy hat, so the felt is probably thicker than it ought to be. Had a alterations shop put in the stitching on the brim. Got the pin at an army surplus store. Been reading the Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and watching the Rough Riders DVD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Nice. How did you do the venting?

18. Lone_Ranger

Lone_Ranger Practically Family

Interesting WWI vintage Stars and Stripes articles complaining about a lack of campaign hats.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/pdf/Old Campaign Hat.pdf

The article hints that it was the introduction of the steel combat helmet that caused the phase out of the campaign hat. Replacing it with an easier to carry overseas hat, or a beret.

19. Dakota Ellison

Dakota Ellison New in Town

I put the hat on a block and drew the snowflake pattern on the sides with a crayon, then used a small punch and a hammer to make the holes.

20. draws

draws Practically Family

My Campaign Hats

Here are my candidates for the Campaign Hat Corps. All three are original M1911 versions. The first is a Stetson and the last two are mfg unknown. All three are in great condition.
    NOTE: The 5 rows of stitching around the brim is the giveaway of an M1911

M1911 Stetson - size 7 1/4 with original Infantry Hat Cord. Leather Liner excellent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

M1911 Campaign Hat (maker unk) - Size 7 1/4 with original Infantry Hat Cord. Leather liner somewhat used but in great condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

M1911 Campaign Hat (maker unk) - Size 7 1/4 with original Infantry Hat Cord. Leather liner ing very good condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]