Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would think that it would be just that a "Regulation Army Hat" meant for sale to the army. I doubt anyone in the public in those days would have been all that interested in dressing like a soldier unless they were, indeed, a soldier.

Two points to consider.

#1) Soldiers were thought of as the lowest members of society until the Span Am War and then right after went right back to be considered dregs. People looked down on soldiers in those days. They were often drunks and sometimes criminals. So, no one in the public would want to be thought of as a soldier.

#2) Americans were not interested in spending what little money they had on kitschy clothing or trends (other than regular fashion and seasonal changes). Americans did not reenact other eras nor was there a fascination with the past to the point where people collected things that they didn't have to use to get by in life.

I will stake my standing on the claim that if the hat was stamped "Regulation Army Hat" it meant nothing other than a "Regulation Army Hat" and was meant for the army.

Okay.

dean

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
You wear it very well! Hope you can do it again!

dean

Thank you, Dean! I had plans to offer another tour this spring, but so far it has not worked out. I'm planning to retire in August, so after that it will be on a volunteer basis.

I also picked this up not too long ago.

Campaign 1 (sm).jpg Campaign 2 (sm).jpg

I got it as a backup for the tours, but also for something I could wear around a beat up a bit when I wanted a more authentic field look. When I got it, though, I found that it is actually brown, not OD. Much too brown to pass as an M1912 or later, so it is going to be a general knockaround hat for general use. I thought the band was sweat stained, but it's actually two-tone, as well. I still like it, because it fits absolutely perfectly. I've started turning the sides up a bit and the front and back down a bit to give it more of a western or civilian look.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Dean! I had plans to offer another tour this spring, but so far it has not worked out. I'm planning to retire in August, so after that it will be on a volunteer basis.

I also picked this up not too long ago.

View attachment 8646 View attachment 8647

I got it as a backup for the tours, but also for something I could wear around a beat up a bit when I wanted a more authentic field look. When I got it, though, I found that it is actually brown, not OD. Much too brown to pass as an M1912 or later, so it is going to be a general knockaround hat for general use. I thought the band was sweat stained, but it's actually two-tone, as well. I still like it, because it fits absolutely perfectly. I've started turning the sides up a bit and the front and back down a bit to give it more of a western or civilian look.

Still looking great! I'm sure I've seen photos of those early M1911s with brims that dipped a bit fore and aft. I imagine that following adoption of that style, later versions moved to the pancake griddle disc so common now.

dean

liten

One of the Regulars
Honestly, given that venting...I'd say M1883! Must have had some old stock tapped into for the sudden influx of volunteers for the Span-Am war! Would you agree

dean

i do agree ? its the small vent that makes me think 83s , and that pic would be about 98 so its very possible they are

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
So, gents, I may begin doing Span-Am campaign hat conversions to order. Until I have a stock of hats the best option would be to send me a hat for conversion if you'd like. Currently I'm only doing the 1889 "snowflake" vent style, but if I find a stock of the brass vents for the 1883 and 1899, I may do them as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Again, here is one of my Stetson cowboy / 1889 conversions:
IMG_20131215_145532_221.jpg
IMG_20131215_145546_159.jpg
IMG_20131215_145605_494.jpg
IMG_20131215_145643_191.jpg

-Max

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
what crown height have you got there ?max

This one started out at a 7" crown, which I believe looks best for the deep, tall creases seen in photos, especially for a larger hat size as mine (7 1/2). The 5 1/2" crown, per strict adherence to the regulation, just doesn't have enough meat to get that deep, sharp crease and still fit on my head unfortunately.

-Max

liten

One of the Regulars
This one started out at a 7" crown, which I believe looks best for the deep, tall creases seen in photos, especially for a larger hat size as mine (7 1/2). The 5 1/2" crown, per strict adherence to the regulation, just doesn't have enough meat to get that deep, sharp crease and still fit on my head unfortunately.

-Max
ok thought it tall , if your lookn for mesh vents , the guy on ebay has them , for the 83s and the 89s

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Anyone here wear a 7 3/4, or thereabouts, and interested in an 1889 Campaign hat? I have just acquired a 7 3/4 XXXX Stetson that could be prime for conversion.

-Max

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
You do great work but that's more than I can spend these days. You might reach out to Worf. He has a big noggin like mine.

Cattus,

No problem. The price is really based on what I can get the hat and materials for, plus a little for my time. If I can hunt the right color felt hat down on eBay, they still go for $60-100 each. I'm also looking for real silk grosgrain for these as well, so hopefully they will be as accurate as possible.
Still trying to find a good source for accurate sweat bands, any ideas?

-Max

liten

One of the Regulars
I don't have the hat in hand just yet. When it arrives and I see what needs to be done I will have a better idea. Ballpark, keeping the original Stetson sweatband if it's in good shape, about $130 for this hat.

-Max
use scrap leather, or rob old vintage hats, you buy them on ebay for $10 to $15 but try avoid buying stetsons, because most there sweatbands are black

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I have been waiting quite a while for these ebay Stetsons for conversion. I think it's been the weather and various holidays that are postponing the USPS, fingers crossed that they are not lost. Photos when they arrive, I promise.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner