Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

liten

One of the Regulars
Hello. You’re replying to a very old thread and asking a question about a post that is over a year old. Best to either PM the guy or at least use the “reply” feature at the end of his post so he’ll know you have responded. Otherwise, it’s a one on a hundred chance that the OP will ever see your question. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevyn

New in Town
My eBay 3X felt Resistol arrived this morning. The color is a little dark but it may fade lighter. During the period they may were probably inconsistent anyway.

I reformed to what best portrayed the SAW period. Holes were measured and cut for the grommets and test fit. Not certain if I'll go with the shiny brass and let them darken, on their own, try some gun blue or fit some black ones, then rub some of the finish off to simulate wear.

The brim will be trimmed to spec, three row stitching and 5/8" ribbon applied.

I'll be a stylin' Huckleberry Pierre'
If there are any Hot Springs in your area. Go, enjoy a soak. Put the items in your pocket.

stevyn

New in Town
Here is a fairly modern government issue OD fur felt model 1911 made by Stratton sometime in the late 60's I think. All the markings are on the back of the sweat and hard to read, impossible to photograph. Anyway the hat is in great shape with little wear. I tightened up the pinches "Army Style"......and I added the WW2 era enlisted hat device...
M
View attachment 125168 View attachment 125169 View attachment 125170
Very nice. All you need now is a period Hat Cord.

Reactions: RJR
I don’t even know why I bought this other than it was in my size. This is the first time I’ve worn it.

365fc2c300c3963fceb4ae628c10cca4.jpg

8c17e72c468fdc2abd56418694882586.jpg

5b6b6f04e222349f7490341fa99ccdd2.jpg

ea4eb06bc266e9af4ad2f6e5d4b73997.jpg

2c03098723eef883448cff2748cc2a94.jpg

Heck if a fishing hat I’d suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Here are some campaign hat photos I've taken over the years. Obviously the hats weren't the subject of the pictures, but they are still there, nonetheless. :D I'm a firm believer that the campaign hat looks best when worn at a very pronounced forward rake. I was always taught the 3 finger above the bridge of the nose method. Very few folks where I work wear their campaign hat unless in "Class A" uniform, although, from time to time if we're stuck out on a hot detail in the sun, we'll wear them. You'll also notice a lot of "Ike jackets" in these photos. Those never get worn unless in Class A either. Full duty belts are not part of a Class A uniform either, all that is required is a gun and one pair of cuffs. But as you can see, some folks just aren't interested in spending the time to remove all the other gear, only to replace it after the event. I can't say I blame them.

First off, some actual State Park Rangers...we all joke that we stole the hats from them. And we also say that if you wear a campaign hat without a forward rake, you look like a Park Ranger (the gentleman on the left is a good friend of mine, and every bit as "tough as nails" as he appears in this photo. He's a lawman straight out of the wild west):
BBneallandmarys-XL.jpg

Groups-XL.png

I've got to admit I'm jealous of the CHP uniforms and hats. I love the tan hat and blue accent look:
Honor%20Guard3s-XL.png

LTs2s-XL.png

Honor%20Guard5s-XL.png

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^Damn right!!! Don’t get me started on those other photos..must refrain.
Ps: WV troopers get a 10 every year.
Tight bunch of dressers.
B

Here are some campaign hat photos I've taken over the years. Obviously the hats weren't the subject of the pictures, but they are still there, nonetheless. :D I'm a firm believer that the campaign hat looks best when worn at a very pronounced forward rake. I was always taught the 3 finger above the bridge of the nose method. Very few folks where I work wear their campaign hat unless in "Class A" uniform, although, from time to time if we're stuck out on a hot detail in the sun, we'll wear them. You'll also notice a lot of "Ike jackets" in these photos. Those never get worn unless in Class A either. Full duty belts are not part of a Class A uniform either, all that is required is a gun and one pair of cuffs. But as you can see, some folks just aren't interested in spending the time to remove all the other gear, only to replace it after the event. I can't say I blame them.

First off, some actual State Park Rangers...we all joke that we stole the hats from them. And we also say that if you wear a campaign hat without a forward rake, you look like a Park Ranger (the gentleman on the left is a good friend of mine, and every bit as "tough as nails" as he appears in this photo. He's a lawman straight out of the wild west):
BBneallandmarys-XL.jpg

Groups-XL.png

I've got to admit I'm jealous of the CHP uniforms and hats. I love the tan hat and blue accent look:
Honor%20Guard3s-XL.png

LTs2s-XL.png

Honor%20Guard5s-XL.png

My understanding is that the Ike jackets came out of wool shortages during the war. I think it’s a better look to have a longer jacket and wear the gun belt over the jacket.

As to the hats/caps, I liked it better when soft bodied bus driver hats were the order of the day. It was nice to be able to throw your hat on the seat without worrying about it getting bent out of shape. I’ll admit that campaign hats offer better sun protection.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Acorn setup is a diff rig.
That strap in the back will keep it on your head in a windstorm. If...ya got it tilted right.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ike jacket came out of Ike cutting down a longcoat to his liking @47-50 thereabouts. Became an Army issue in 50-51, i believe.
Lots of Marines cutdown the dress coat to an Ike. I had my dad’s in Jr. High. I didn’t cut mine down and wear it every winter. Get more compliments then anything i’ve ever owned.
B

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
My understanding is that the Ike jackets came out of wool shortages during the war. I think it’s a better look to have a longer jacket and wear the gun belt over the jacket.

As to the hats/caps, I liked it better when soft bodied bus driver hats were the order of the day. It was nice to be able to throw your hat on the seat without worrying about it getting bent out of shape. I’ll admit that campaign hats offer better sun protection.

Interesting about the Ike jackets. I've never been fond of them, and I agree, a longer coat with the gunbelt over is a much better look.

I've never been a fan of the looks of the campaign hat, but it does OK in the sun, for sure. And I have to admit I think it looks more professional than the bus driver caps. But then my biggest issue with the bus driver hats are all the points. I love the look of a peaked cap that is round, like military officers/ pilots/ ship officers wear.

Interesting about the Ike jackets. I've never been fond of them, and I agree, a longer coat with the gunbelt over is a much better look.

I've never been a fan of the looks of the campaign hat, but it does OK in the sun, for sure. And I have to admit I think it looks more professional than the bus driver caps. But then my biggest issue with the bus driver hats are all the points. I love the look of a peaked cap that is round, like military officers/ pilots/ ship officers wear.

Not all the bus driver hats have points:

b21fc8d6b7f85169eac0dbb3e70169f9.png

I also like it for its old school vibe.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Acorn setup is a diff rig.
That strap in the back will keep it on your head in a windstorm. If...ya got it tilted right.

It's true, but I still don't find it to be a comfortable hat. Too much pressure on the forehead for my taste when worn correctly. My co-workers who are former USMC DI's hated it as well. But in rain, or sun for many hours, it does do better than a baseball cap, provided you're not moving around in tight areas too much. Some of our older cars had a rack in the ceiling for the campaign hat, but since wearing them on duty has become far less common, the newer cars don't have it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^^Good thing about a Smokey is it’s a great fishing hat and brush buster. Tuck your head and a bad backcast flyfishing in the wind and you don’t catch yourself.
Also, people see ya wearing one they clear out thinking you’re the Game Warden.
B

fireman

One of the Regulars
Ike jackets came about during WW2....around late 43. Maybe early 44. Marines got them in Australian and New Zealand also. Ike actually wanted it issued for field use as part of the combat uniform underneath the M43 field jacket. I don't think it was popular for that...I have never seen a picture of a GI wearing it in combat.

Ike jacket came out of Ike cutting down a longcoat to his liking @47-50 thereabouts. Became an Army issue in 50-51, i believe.
Lots of Marines cutdown the dress coat to an Ike. I had my dad’s in Jr. High. I didn’t cut mine down and wear it every winter. Get more compliments then anything i’ve ever owned.
B

The "Ike Jacket" as it came to be known was started by our army "fly fly boys" who when arriving in England liked the look of the british short coats of the English battle dress uniforms and cut down their class A coats to that design. They also found them quite comfortable.....
Initially done by British taylors for the officers, the enlisted soon followed suit and the result is quite a few wartime variations of which I own a few.
Eisenhower liked these as well and had one done up and started wearing it around and hence gave name to the American version. He was not however the first to wear one..........I do belive he was instrumental in getting the Army to officially adopt this coat variation
FIRST US Government issue was November 1944.........
M
PS The army wore the buckle to the back on their campaign hats with the single strap arraingment...........you can even see this in the early WW2 pictures and movies where some of them are wearing on Wake Island, Battan etc........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko