Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie Suits

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Clothes & Cars too

I was asked to make a Nudie suit a few years back. Did all the research and did drawing, sourced stones, trim, etc. The client finally decided against it after I had put in numerous hours. Too bad, I kind of wanted to do it...maybe I'll get around to doing one for myself...just to say I did.

Nudie did a series of cars too... 18 total I think. They were quite wild, steer horns, tons of chrome, exotic skins for the seats, etc, etc. Think they are quite coveted now.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
On of my favorite current country artists, Dave Gleason, is a fan of Nudie suits. He plays country music much inspired by Buck Owens' "Bakersfield Sound" and Gram Parsons' "Cosmic American Music" (both of whom were big proponents of Nudie themselves). Here's the cover of his latest album:

DaveGleasonCD.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
I LOVE Spade Cooley! Tragic life there. I'm waiting to see if anyone here actually owns one. I'd be damned impressed. I do believe Jimbo Mathus (formerly of the Squirrel Nut Zippers) owns one. God Bless Mississippi and pass the antiseptic!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Viper Man said:
I LOVE Spade Cooley! Tragic life there. I'm waiting to see if anyone here actually owns one. I'd be damned impressed. I do believe Jimbo Mathus (formerly of the Squirrel Nut Zippers) owns one. God Bless Mississippi and pass the antiseptic!

A green Nudie suit from the 40's that belonged to Cactus Soldi, who played in in Spade Cooley's band, sold on eBay a year or so ago. I came very close to bidding, but it wasn't my size, so I didn't. . . I'm still kicking myself for that!

davestlouis

Practically Family
Spade Cooley...hadn't even heard of him until tonight. Stomped his wife to death, then died of a heart attack at a benefit concert for the Sheriff's Dept while he was on furlough?! Truth is stranger than fiction...

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Wow

Guttersnipe said:
Buck Owens and The Buckaroos:
draft_lens2214473module12125399photo_1224434977buck-owens-buckaroos.jpg

Those Buck Owens and the Buckaroos suits come very close to a Matadors coat/pant, what with all of the braid and ornamentation on the legs, sleeves, etc.

I have made several Matador outfits, all beaded, fringe, etc...they are a ton of work, huge man hours involved, along with the great expense of the crystals (Austrian / Swarovski shine the brightest under stage lights).

davestlouis

Practically Family
Tailor Tom, what sort of foundation does a suit like that need, to hold all those beads and whatnot? How heavy are those suits? Are they stiff? How on earth would you clean one?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Tailor Tom said:
Those Buck Owens and the Buckaroos suits come very close to a Matadors coat/pant, what with all of the braid and ornamentation on the legs, sleeves, etc.

I have made several Matador outfits, all beaded, fringe, etc...they are a ton of work, huge man hours involved, along with the great expense of the crystals (Austrian / Swarovski shine the brightest under stage lights).

They are basically mariachi or rodeo gaucho outfits, which probably were originally influenced by matador costumes. All the Bakersfield country stars used to wear Nudie suits with a definite Spanish flare. I've always thought it was sort of as a nod to California's Anglo-Latino melting pot heritage.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
davestlouis said:
Tailor Tom, what sort of foundation does a suit like that need, to hold all those beads and whatnot? How heavy are those suits? Are they stiff? How on earth would you clean one?

A lot of those suits were made out of Polyester, sad to say. The colors were typically brighter and more varied in those years than wool, so it made for better stage/screen looks. And heavier poly at that, to hold the weight of all the stones...they are heavy.

A matadors jacket looks ...firm..(I guess is the best word) and it had to be beefed up with heavy interfacing and sometimes multiple layers to hold everything in place. I imagine the jackets in the pics are built similar.

Cleaning....don't even think about it haha ! usually they were spot cleaned only if necc. otherwise probably not. They try to clean things, best they can ( the vodka trick is used a lot) but not too much. Chemicals can damage the stones or the settings for the stones can rust, etc. Some others on here can most likely confirm that a lot of stage costumes simply smell.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
$10 pickup.

BzVDZkmkKGrHqZjIEw49O4KOBMVinzny6g_12.jpg

BzVDnfgCGkKGrHqRiYEw5GV2IBMViolvCe_12.jpg

BzVDgMEWkKGrHqJjEw5QI6j9tBMVioL7dG_12.jpg

BzVDeGBmkKGrHqFjcEw5EushzBMVioEe4r_12.jpg

BzVDb4g2kKGrHqFikEw5b4kd5PBMVin77CQ_12.jpg

Similar to some of Porter Wagoner's suits, but looks hand/home tailored- not as fancy or flashy as the genuine nudie article.
BgFN9QwBWkKGrHqEH-DUEsJj-1lbvBLD1OCsNw_12.jpg

I'm a big fan of Nudie Suits, being a big fan of classic country, it's my favorite kind of music! When I was young, I always wanted to be like the guys I saw on Hee-Haw in their flashy suits singing those great songs. Sadly, those days are over and I doubt country will ever be what it once was.

On a lighter note.
img_0958.JPG

MerleTravis.jpg

rayprice.jpg

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
This is only 80% off topic, but I just saw a documentary on the guys who made and still make the clothes Elvis wore on stage. It's called "Fit for a King." (DVD available from the Documentary Channel.) Here is the site for the clothes: http://www.b-k-enterprises.com Kinda "Nudie-like".....

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just got this from the seller about the suit:
It belonged to my uncle Robert Frost who passed away and had his own country/western band for some forty years. he played at the grand ole oprey of all places over the years. he was about 6' 3".

Tiller

Practically Family
It's a shame that modern country stars don't ever pay tribute to the classics. Their are plenty who don't even wear hats anymore, saddly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy