Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Flicka

One Too Many
OK, lately i completely lost control. I need to lose weight.

In November, I started on a new medication that I was warned might make me gain weight. At first it didn't, but then, bam! it did. So I took care with what I ate (like I posted earlier), but then I just completely lost control and now I need to do something radical. So I'm going to diet (as in eating small portions and cutting down on baked goods and sweets) and start exercising. My main motivation is that I want to look like I used to so that I can wear yummy early 30s styles. Kick me if I start going on about cakes, will you? :p

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
OK, lately i completely lost control. I need to lose weight.

In November, I started on a new medication that I was warned might make me gain weight. At first it didn't, but then, bam! it did. So I took care with what I ate (like I posted earlier), but then I just completely lost control and now I need to do something radical. So I'm going to diet (as in eating small portions and cutting down on baked goods and sweets) and start exercising. My main motivation is that I want to look like I used to so that I can wear yummy early 30s styles. Kick me if I start going on about cakes, will you? :p

What workouts are you planning to do? I'm starting the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred today.. hopefully this time I'll pull through too!!! I've seen awesome results on blogs. Let's do it together, maybe? :D The exercise program is free on youtube and you don't need anything you don't have at home really! :D

Juliet

A-List Customer
Kick me if I start going on about cakes, will you? :p

Oh, the cakes! I wish I could cut back on sweets, but it's so darn cold and dark yet, as if though it isn't spring at all. I need all the brain fuel and comfort I can get. Which is even more frustrating, as I only want to lose an inch or so.
Is there a good, but unfattening cake, I wonder?

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Oh, the cakes! I wish I could cut back on sweets, but it's so darn cold and dark yet, as if though it isn't spring at all. I need all the brain fuel and comfort I can get. Which is even more frustrating, as I only want to lose an inch or so.
Is there a good, but unfattening cake, I wonder?

Maybe only if you bake one yourself with very little sugar...? Good question. I suspect: no. :( Ladies, prove me wrong!!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sugar actually has very little calories, only like 6 calories for a teaspoon. However, sweet "empty calorie" (low nutrition) foods tend to make you crave more food more quickly. So it's a vicious cycle. :(

What I find really helpful is really decadent rich cakes- things with lots of fat in it- real butter, etc. I find that I'm much more satisfied with a smaller piece, and don't want a second helping or end up eating again an hour later because I'm hungry. When I talk of decadent I'm thinking of things like ganache cakes and pound cakes- typically a very small piece makes me happy.

Also, I've found that halving recipes (less cake to eat overall) and freezing the extra cake in appropriate serving size pieces helps too. This way you have to let it thaw half a day before you can eat it, and it won't go bad.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Sugar actually has very little calories, only like 6 calories for a teaspoon. However, sweet "empty calorie" (low nutrition) foods tend to make you crave more food more quickly. So it's a vicious cycle. :(

What I find really helpful is really decadent rich cakes- things with lots of fat in it- real butter, etc. I find that I'm much more satisfied with a smaller piece, and don't want a second helping or end up eating again an hour later because I'm hungry. When I talk of decadent I'm thinking of things like ganache cakes and pound cakes- typically a very small piece makes me happy.

Also, I've found that halving recipes (less cake to eat overall) and freezing the extra cake in appropriate serving size pieces helps too. This way you have to let it thaw half a day before you can eat it, and it won't go bad.

That's a great tip! I definitely agree on the "lots of fat" part, too.
I, for one, love chocolate and a lot of people recommend eating bitter chocolate to satisfy a craving for it, but I hate bitter chocolate so I'd rather always have a piece of milkchocolate than 3 of bitter chocolate. Does that make sense? Haha.

The girl sitting next to me at the office (we don't have cubicals) has a large candy dispenser and enough M&M's to feed the entire company, and I successfully finished day 4 without eating even one M&M. :D I decided that after two full weeks (so 14 work days) I'll allow myself to go to Sephora and buy myself something nice. Let's see how that goes... oh, and I just finished my first workout! :D Sweating like a pig and totally out of breath but it's only ~25 mins a day. Until tomorrow... :D

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Cake for breakfast? Now that's a diet I think I could follow :) According to a study by Tel Aviv University, a low-calorie meal plan that includes dessert with breakfast may help dieters.

I don't have desert for breakfast usually but I do eat "sweet" breakfast - oat meal with fruits... yummy! I had to get used to oat meal at first as I am a bread lover but after a week or so I was actually looking forward to breakast!

I do admit though, my oat meal is the instant kind... one step at a time, I guess. :D

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

This would work for me too I reckon - I don't often crave sweet things but when I do I have to have something so instead of buying a whole bar of something I will go to the Butler's Chocolate Cafe and buy a couple of their chocolates (delicious!) - they are so rich and heavy that after one the craving is gone - but you still go ahead and eat the other one anyway!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
What workouts are you planning to do? I'm starting the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred today.. hopefully this time I'll pull through too!!! I've seen awesome results on blogs. Let's do it together, maybe? :D The exercise program is free on youtube and you don't need anything you don't have at home really! :D

Ok, I just checked her out on youtube and I´m so gonna do this, starting tomorrow. Not even 30 minutes, how cool is that? I just need to find a substitute for the weights, but that shouldn´t be a problem.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Katinka, I bought myself weights this time (I get more motivated with the right equipment... Silly, I know) but I used to jut fill up two .5 l water bottles :)

I thought of something sweet and low calorie btw: SODA CUPCAKES!!! I'll post more about them later... I'm at work right now :)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Ok, the 30 Day shred and me won´t become friends. When I did it for the first time it literally collided with my histamine intolerance and I had to stop after 10 minutes because I was close to passing out. I gave it a second try, reduced the cardio exercises and promptly injured something inside my right shoulder. That means I´m now making less cardio than advised, altered push ups and one armed jumping jacks. I hope it works anyways. 30 Day shred = pure evil.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[size=+2]Thread - revive![/size] :clap:

While ago I noticed that there was a small creature living in my wardrobe: sewing them smaller over night. And, in the morning, when I try to squeeze into my pants, I couldn't manage it. Darn the Creature called "calorie". lol
The day I've realised there was NO Creature in the wardrobe was the day I've tried to fit into my forever-favorite 1940s front pleated skirt.. and failed miserably. :Cry:

My nutrition changed.
I've stopped eating pastries (that made my office breakfast whole lot stranger to innocent observers). They've always said "You get your abs in the kithchen", and they were right.. [size=-2]Whoever "they" are![/size]
My exercise.. now I DO exercise!
30 minutes every day, including 2,5kg set of weights. I do hate sweat, believe you me. But more than that, I hate wobbles around my waist.

Five month later, 10kg less. :whoo:

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I have been re vamping what me and my husband eat and since the start of February. Also I have been taking advantage of one of the many perks of my husband being in the navy, free personal training at the base gym. When I started working with my trainer she made me get on a scale, something I never do. And let's just say she and I both were shocked at what it said. I am five foot nine, and at the time I stated I was still in my size 10s but they wear very tight. Since starting I have lost 7 lbs and 2 inches from my waist, I am not on the loose side of comfortably I. My size 10s. I have a weight goal but I have told my trainer that I will stop trying to loose weight if I get to a size 6 ( as to be honest I don't think any smaller would be ok at my height). All of this is because I am thinking of going back to college for nutrition and feel like I must practice what I preach. And also I want this to be a life style thing not a constant yo yo issue.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I started myfitnesspal on December 30 and so far I've lost 8 lbs (that I know of!) I weigh myself once a month and I seem to be losing a pound a week. It's amazing putting all your calories on paper (or Internet!) and seeing them. I can eat an entire healthy meal for 350 calories -- or one cupcake! It's crazy!

I haven't eaten sugary treats in months and now when I do I get a stomach ache. My exercise has been minimal, I admit, but once the weather gets better it is running time!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And also I want this to be a life style thing not a constant yo yo issue.
Ah, the Yo-yo... every lady's most favourite companion! :D
I had danced the "Yo-yo" for a long time. I've got stretch marks to prove it.
Hopefuly, THIS time, I'll just remain where I am: reasonable slim, and happy about it.

I haven't eaten sugary treats in months and now when I do I get a stomach ache.
Sweets are the enemies of waist circumference. Alas, they are also indecently attractive! :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21