Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Thankfully I don't need to diet for weightloss as im happy where I am at but I did really need to improve on my health - note skinny does not equal healthy. I recently did an internship for 6 months and I was doing physical labour all day for the first time really and got a lot fitter and stronger so when I got back I was determined to stay that way! I've never really had the motivation to get fit so the key for me was starting a sport where I had to go - so I took up rowing. I train 3 days a week and if I dont show up the rest of the crew suffer so I have to - plus its a great way to bond with people and make friends so you want to exercise :)

Avie

Banned
Yea friends we need rich diet for physical resistant and exercise is too very essential to keep our body in shape. Some people are very diet conscious that reduce the weight as well as the will power also. Yoga/ exercise is the best way to reduce weight and increase resistant power.

Atwood

New in Town
Hi Bella,
Only running around after kids will not help to get in shape so we must engage in regular exercises to stay in shape, increase health and to reduce the risk of major health problems by boosting our immunity system. As for me I swim 5 days a week, swimming is great workout to burn calories, get in shape and increase stamina.
Natural Anti Aging Products

Last edited:

KatPower

New in Town
I've recently incurred some stress weight that I'd like to do something about. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the way my body looks, but I just feel so weak! I've gone soft where I used to have some muscle. I've also been feeling lethargic in general. I'm hoping that visiting the gym will help out some -- a membership is included in my school tuition, and it'd be a shame to let that money and opportunity go to waste!

Diet-wise, not much needs changing. I eat healthfully and mostly whole foods. I've also been eating mostly vegan which has done wonders for my skin, hair, and energy levels.

Now if only I could quit coffee...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The one thing I would recommend to any lady is lifting weights. Not marathon weight lifting or body building weight lifting, but going into the weight area and lifting at least 10 pounds on the major muscle groups and 5 on the smaller muscle groups. (If, of course, your doctor says it is OK.) You might have to work up to these amounts, starting really small. 3 to five sets of 8 repetitions for each muscle group is good.

Lifting weights is important for a couple of reasons: it increases your bone density, it makes you stronger, muscle burns more calories per pound than fat, and it can help you out in other areas (like doing your cardio).

Lots of women fear they will start looking buff and muscle bound if they lift. Most of the men who are all muscle-ly are lifting way more weight than this (6x to 10x more), have hormones that increase their muscle mass (testosterone), and are eating excess calories to put on that muscle (we're talking about double the calories they need to consume in a day).

I like free weights- barbells and dumbbells. They require no setup like the machines. You can look up videos online for lifting, or better yet, ask someone at your gym to show you how to exercise. A lot of gyms have a "power hour" or "total body fitness" or "toning class" in which free weights are used. I started lifting a number of years ago in a "power hour" class. The vast majority of these classes are taken by women- I think I've only ever seen one male take one of these classes. If you don't belong to a gym, you can use empty milk gallons at home as weights- each week or two add another cupful of water to the jugs to increase the weight. You can also buy a set of small hand weights for under 50USD.

I understand that the weight area in a gym can be a little intimidating. It seems to be a "male space." Other than the odd look I've gotten from a guy (they simply don't expect a woman to go back there), I've never had a rude comment made in my direction. Other women do use the weight area, but they are few and far between. (And yes, the guys occasionally give these other women weird looks too.) Most of the men I've encountered ignore me, but some are very nice and will chat, etc.

I don't want to sound like a running advertisement for weightlifting. But if you're looking to lose just a few pounds or more, it really helps.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't want to sound like a running advertisement for weightlifting. But if you're looking to lose just a few pounds or more, it really helps.
I second that. :thumb:
Not only will you NOT turn out to be like one of Miss Olympia (it takes much, much more for that to happen); but you'll turn out to be fit in all those magnificent places that you know make a "wow" effect. :nod:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Heyho ladies! Does anyone have any tips to maintain that hourglass shape? I'd quite like to nip my waist in a little more.
Have you ever seen a mini corset? They are underbust and higher than the hip. Perfect for giving you that hourglass silhouette.
It's a tip from my wife, Katie from what Katie Did, helped, following my wife's abdominal surgery. You can just google mini corset.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I understand that the weight area in a gym can be a little intimidating. It seems to be a "male space." Other than the odd look I've gotten from a guy (they simply don't expect a woman to go back there), I've never had a rude comment made in my direction. Other women do use the weight area, but they are few and far between. (And yes, the guys occasionally give these other women weird looks too.) Most of the men I've encountered ignore me, but some are very nice and will chat, etc.
My wife and I have been going to the gym for more years than I can remember. We use four main cardio machines, and we have a variety of weights to exercise and keep trim all our body muscle. We couple that with copious fresh fruit and high fibre, as in porridge at breakfast.
We do a couple of hours in the gym and half an hour in the pool, about four times a week.

it's not about body-building really, it's more to do with keeping older joints, muscles and limbs supple. Our real passion, from our teenage years, has been dancing, as in: Latin & Ballroom. Have you heard of the brit expression: "Bingo wings?" It's the name that we give to those with flabby tricepts. The ones where someone lifts their arm to shout "BINGO" when their number comes up and the underside of the arm flaps about.

We are not bingo lovers, but that expression is so grained into everyday use here. When we are dancing, she loves to wear those classic ballgowns, which means, bare arms. So, although we don't relish the gym, we, and she in particular, want to both, stay fit and, look our best.
And it's killing me:dance:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My wife and I have been going to the gym for more years than I can remember. We use four main cardio machines, and we have a variety of weights to exercise and keep trim all our body muscle. We couple that with copious fresh fruit and high fibre, as in porridge at breakfast.
We do a couple of hours in the gym and half an hour in the pool, about four times a week.

it's not about body-building really, it's more to do with keeping older joints, muscles and limbs supple. Our real passion, from our teenage years, has been dancing, as in: Latin & Ballroom. Have you heard of the brit expression: "Bingo wings?" It's the name that we give to those with flabby tricepts. The ones where someone lifts their arm to shout "BINGO" when their number comes up and the underside of the arm flaps about.

We are not bingo lovers, but that expression is so grained into everyday use here. When we are dancing, she loves to wear those classic ballgowns, which means, bare arms. So, although we don't relish the gym, we, and she in particular, want to both, stay fit and, look our best.
And it's killing me:dance:

Perfect! I go to the gym three times a week for about 2.5 hours. What keeps me motivated is that I am a cancer survivor with a 13-month old daughter. I plan on being a survivor.

When I get tired and exhausted and simply don't want to do that extra set of reps or another 10 minutes on the treadmill, I get angry and ****ed and I say "**** cancer" and do them. And then when I am totally spent and I cannot lift any more or walk another step I say, "this is for my daughter, I am going to live to see her get on the school bus" and I do another 10 reps or another mile.

Like I said, I plan on being a survivor.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I plan on being a survivor.
Your ethic is to be admired, good for you.

My wife & I are lucky enough to be able to afford to farm our ironing out. Our Ironing fairy, a lady in her mid thirties, a mother to two small boys, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. On medical recommendation, she had a double masectomy. Now, a few years on, she's been given the all clear. Always a joker, she uses humour to defeat her disease.

She's also a very popular amateur singer. One day she dropped our ironing off, in something of a rush, probably had to get home to prepare for a gig that evening. Knowing this, I remarked, with a play on the ironing: "Got a pressing appointment?"

She laughed and said that the ironing used to get on her t*ts, but not anymore. One more reason to love that dear lady.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Knowing this, I remarked, with a play on the ironing: "Got a pressing appointment?"

She laughed and said that the ironing used to get on her t*ts, but not anymore. One more reason to love that dear lady.

lol

I imagine she had the same type of breast cancer I had. (Young women typically have this one type of aggressive breast cancer.) Good to hear she is doing well. I am one year out from diagnosis, once I am 5 to 8 years out I will get the "all clear."

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I like to drink a lot of fruit juices; specifically lemonade, orange juice and grape juice. I have been "cutting" it by using 50% water and 50% of the juice and this quenches my thirst much better than drinking the juices straight. Also cuts down on the sugar intake.

Huertecilla

Banned
I like to drink a lot of fruit juices; specifically lemonade, orange juice and grape juice. I have been "cutting" it by using 50% water and 50% of the juice and this quenches my thirst much better than drinking the juices straight. Also cuts down on the sugar intake.

You could drink just water. You can drink it basically unlimited as it will aid flushing your system. It will not only quence thirst but also fill the stomach.

As to juice, that is best fresh from fruit as that contains the most vitamins and fibers. We dump soft fruit (we have plenty of REAL taste strawberries) hole in the blender and mix it with freshly extracted orange/lemon. That áfter a large glass of water.

I have been stupidly careless living life and have pretty much knackered my bones/ligaments. That and a kilo-and-haf of titanium replacement parts makes excersize a bit of a challenge, so the intake gets doubly important.

p.s. ´my´ gf is now preparing lunch. An omelette with green asperges. The egg is protein which will keep met satisfied for the max possible and the asperges are tasty water absorbed in fibre.
The eggs are from our own free range chicken and the asperges she was given this morning by a neighbour who had picked them in his olive grove yesterday evening.

Ok, where is my cane; time to walk to the school bus stop to get the kid...

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Hey again Huertcilla!

Yes I do drink water and plenty of it. But I just loooove fruit juices. I have a juicer that I use to squeeze oranges and lemons. I admit to being lazy at times and preferring to just get it from the store. Welch's makes a 100% real juice grape juice that still has the seeds and skin so you get the fiber still. I get that and my fiber intake is pretty high anyway because I do eat a lot of beans, oat bran and fruits and veggies.

Speaking of eggs, I get my duck eggs from a farmer who raises them and sells them in my city. Duck eggs have a much richer taste that I like.

Stray Cat

I am a cancer survivor with a 13-month old daughter. I plan on being a survivor.
:eusa_clap
You are a hero.

Duck eggs have a much richer taste that I like.
You have reminded me of something I haven't had in ages: duck egg + shopped bell pepper + chopped tomato - in the pan, fry it slowly. :essen:

I went back to cycling.
After I got trully bored with listening to Jillian's DVD telling me that "you can do it!" the spring came back, and with it the cycling season. I usually make enough time to take some 10 to 15 kilometers (about 7 to 9 miles). Feels good.

Stray Cat

I had to share this!

I'm sure many of you have seen this, but for those who haven't:

"Get slim with Pathe":

[video=youtube;fPM7iZrqVCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPM7iZrqVCk[/video]

The rack used to be an instrument of torture. Now, know as the "traction rhythmic couch .. it still looks like it.
lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui