Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I could count the number of times on one hand that I have driven in the last few months and I have only put gasoline in my car twice since last May. I try to walk everywhere I go in town (I do car pool to the city occasionally.) I don't have a bike any longer, but would ride if I did. I was laid off - which forced a change from commuter to walker - but I have chosen to take a huge paycut for now and work in my small town to avoid driving and walk to work. I love it - but I do think that I am the exception for the most part.

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
How common is it to bike daily in the US? I know that this differs depending on where you live, but do any of you ladies bike in stead of taking the car?

Absolutely! We made the decision to sell our modern car (it had alot of problems anyway) so we could put the money towards our classic to get it running. We bought bikes and pedal everywhere now. I've been losing weight and building alot of muscle too.
It's easy for us because we live right smack-dab in the middle of downtown, so most things that we need are relatively close. My husband's job is less than a mile away, and we have plenty of local markets to get food and supplies.
For others though, who live in rural areas and have long commutes to work, etc, it might not be so easy.
We have really been enjoying it so far. It's a nice sense of freedom to be able to go to events or to 4th Ave (which is our bar/club district) on a Sunday for a drink and not have to worry about parking!
Pretty much, we do not plan on ever buying another modern car. We will have our 54 Chevy when it gets running, our bikes, be plenty happy, and keep fit!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Not a vintage contraption at all, but has any lady here any experience with the Trikke exercise whatsit, sort of a razor scooter's illicit affair with a bike? I have very weak ankles compounded by having ripped/broken a tendon and bone in my foot this year, and cannot see POSSIBLY trusting myself on Rollerblades or a skateboard or anything of the sort in '09-'10 (alas, poor ice-skating, I knew thee well...) and I never did learn how to bike comfortably, but I was thinking a Trikke looked like a sort of low-impact toning exercise for my lower half, and it folds up so I can carry it places. And I might be able to go farther than I can walking, anymore.

And at the moment, I'm just at a loss for exercise ideas. I cannot walk as far as I once did easily, I cannot run AT ALL, my sweetie doesn't want me doing weights or much in the way of impact aerobics... I'm thinking all that's left beyond maybe this gadget or something even less outdoorsy like a stationary bike (which, let's be honest, does NOT set my heart a-flutter) are, I dunno, yoga and pilates or maybe some sort of low-impact dance, like bellydance.

Any suggestions most appreciated. I still eat right, and I haven't really gained weight this year, but I don't like the idea of getting less toned and less fit. On the other hand, I don't want to exercise myself right back onto crutches. :(

live vintageous

Familiar Face
I wish I could bicycle more often...

I love to ride my bike - a vintage red men's bike that could use a revamp.

But I don't bike that much. My college is at least a few miles away, and the only way to reach it is via a busy highway filled with semi-trucks whizzing by at 50+ mph. All of that with a narrow shoulder and deep ditches. I know of one brave fellow student who rode his bike on that highway to school everyday - until he got hit by a car last month. Now he's on crutches and his foot is in a cast.

Besides the dangers of a vehicular source, there's the weather. Only 4 months out of the year are conducive to bicycling. Otherwise, I'm prohibited by extreme temperatures, sweat, ice, or snow. Not to mention the Midwesterners' lack of respect for pedestrians - at least in my area.

But boy, I wish I could be a von Trapp and bicycle around the town!

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
And at the moment, I'm just at a loss for exercise ideas. I cannot walk as far as I once did easily, I cannot run AT ALL, my sweetie doesn't want me doing weights or much in the way of impact aerobics... I'm thinking all that's left beyond maybe this gadget or something even less outdoorsy like a stationary bike (which, let's be honest, does NOT set my heart a-flutter) are, I dunno, yoga and pilates or maybe some sort of low-impact dance, like bellydance.

Any suggestions most appreciated. I still eat right, and I haven't really gained weight this year, but I don't like the idea of getting less toned and less fit. On the other hand, I don't want to exercise myself right back onto crutches. :(

What about swimming?

RD

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
How common is it to bike daily in the US? I know that this differs depending on where you live, but do any of you ladies bike in stead of taking the car? I've been wondering about this because here in Denmark a lot of people bike to work, school, shopping and everything - including myself and I find this a very practical, time-saving and easy type of exercise.

I do almost all of my local errands on my bicycle, such as small groceries, getting cat food, etc. I have to take the car for trips to Costco(gotta stock up on toilet paper! lol ) and for going to roller derby practice, but other than that I try to do as much as possible on the bike.

RD

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Viola - while I highly recommend bellydance for the pure enjoyment of it - I do not recommend it as a form of exercise. Unless, you would like to dance constantly. It is far too low impact - to have much "impact" on health or physique. I have danced since I was five and taught for many years. I have never seen it have an impact on either my physique or any of my students. BUT it can have a huge "impact" on ones self-esteem, confidence, self-image, etc. It is well worth trying out if for nothing more than the fellowship of the other women you will meet!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Red Diabla, swimming is a good idea; one I hadn't thought of due to the season and lack of availability... but goodness knows I'll still need exercise in the coming year. Swimming could help a lot. It certainly doesn't bother my glass foot any. And it justifies vintage style swimsuits! lol

Mrs Merl, thanks for the heads up. I still think it looks beautiful but I may have to move it into the "I would like to learn at some point" category rather than "will help me get in tight shape" category. At least its still in the "Viola could do it without ending up in a wheelchair" category, which is more than I can say for some of the more acrobatic swing-dancing and whatnot. (Mad respect to the ladies who can do that!)

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
well,i'll tell you my secret.

i eat whatever the hell i want in the portion size of my fist.

and i do situps in reps of 20 everyday.
it does actually work for me,but the one thing is that i am just naturally small so i don't have the ability to look like a giant blueberry.

my heaviest days were when i was 140 lbs. im now like 120-ish hoping to get down to 90 lbs. the less you weigh the better in dancing,especially me doing the lindy hop with my boyfriend where there is lots of lifts.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Red Diabla said:
I do almost all of my local errands on my bicycle, such as small groceries, getting cat food, etc. I have to take the car for trips to Costco(gotta stock up on toilet paper! lol ) and for going to roller derby practice, but other than that I try to do as much as possible on the bike.

RD
Oh, I love to bicycle, too. I keep a vintage Raleigh girl's bicycle in my office so I can ride it out to lunch and for some of my work functions/duties (it has a basket for files and other stuff). Because it's step-through, has flat pedals and a wide seat (just to be clear, that's the bike's seat that's wide, not mine :D ) I can ride it in a dress and even keep my heels on. I keep the cadence easy so as not to break a sweat, as the work bike is for fun, fresh air and convenience. And again, the convenience of a step-through is that I can dismount and still be ladylike. At home, I ride another beach cruiser (an old boy's Schwinn) with my dog leashed alongside. Pure fun (like being-a-kid-again fun) with my best buddy and lots of exercise for both of us.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I won't go on a diet as such. I've also heard that if my weight yo-yo's too much, then I'll suffer more with frown lines than I aready am. I'm just back to eating normally and insisting on my right to go for a brisk one hour walk. It's what works for me.:) Got my mini stepper out in case weather conditions worsen. It's not very decorative to look at but at least there's a real chance that I may use it than when it's hidden away.:)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Slow but steady... a weighty issue

End of least week I weighed in at the YMCA I use, and I've lost 7 lbs in 6 weeks of the stress weight I'd gained over the last several months. I can see a difference in how my clothes fit already. Still have much more to go (won't divulge numbers as its scary), but its a strong start! Could see a definite difference in my usual Pilates attire last night at class. I have a goal of looking fit in a certain knit dress I own, tried it on last night for tricks just to see how I'm coming along. If I loose a pound or less a week I'm a happy gal, that means its more likely to stay off.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Congratulations! Slow and steady is the only way. As long as you've added those beneficial things to your lifestyle,you'll just keep on grooving in the direction that makes you happy. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
live vintageous said:
Well, I'm trying to catch up on all of the posts but I've got about 20+ pages to go :D

I've been using kettlebells for about 12 weeks and so far I love, love the results.

My husband and I have been working with a kettlebell trainer. Is been abut 2 months for me, and I started after I'd had knee surgery. My strength has really improved, and I'm happy to have an experienced trainer to avoid injury.
This trainer is really in to Isogenix. We have done the 9 day cleanse and use the shakes. I've dropped abut 10 pounds since we started.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
what is kettlebells please?

crwritt said:
live vintageous said:
Well, I'm trying to catch up on all of the posts but I've got about 20+ pages to go :D

I've been using kettlebells for about 12 weeks and so far I love, love the results.

My husband and I have been working with a kettlebell trainer. Is been abut 2 months for me, and I started after I'd had knee surgery. My strength has really improved, and I'm happy to have an experienced trainer to avoid injury.
This trainer is really in to Isogenix. We have done the 9 day cleanse and use the shakes. I've dropped abut 10 pounds since we started.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the encouragement ThesFlishThings! Another lb. lost this week too:)

ThesFlishThngs said:
Congratulations! Slow and steady is the only way. As long as you've added those beneficial things to your lifestyle,you'll just keep on grooving in the direction that makes you happy. :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Kettleballs, if you excuse me for intejecting, are those small freeweights that aren't shaped like dumbbells, they're shaped like, well, cast-iron balls with loop handles on them. You can't use them two handed which means you can't really favour one arm over the other the way you can with big barbells.

Link to a pic

They are not hard to find, anymore, which is good. My brother is of the opinion they look like something you chain to a convict's ankle in a bad movie, but whatever, who asked him? lol

I am going to wait until next year but then I probably am going to buy some weights.

TallulahDahling

New in Town
A gym close to my office is running a "holiday special" (which is code for-"Don't Get Fat During The Holidays!") :D

For 3 months it's only a dollar a day--includes 24/7 use of the facilities and all the classes (first come, first serve) PLUS you will get a trainer to design a program for you.

I think I'm gonna take them up on this--I have holiday dress I need to zip up again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot