Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nylons

Jen

New in Town
Does anyone know a good source for extra-long nylons? I'm pretty tall (6'1") so this is a problem. Thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You probably won't have much (if any) luck with vintage nylons--I'm 5'6, with a medium build and most pairs are much too short for me. Even an extra long pair (34�) is just barely long enough. The weave is also knit a little tighter, which means they work well for someone with thinner legs (those with small frames report that vintage works better for them--modern stockings are sometimes too loose for them to wear comfortably). My thighs are a little full, so vintage nylons will work—but modern nylons always seem to fit a bit more comfortably.

Look for opera length--these are an extra long length and on the average 1940s woman would be too long (dancers/performers wore these pinned to their undies, as pantyhose was not available.) On me, they are just a tad too long to be worn with a girdle, but perfect for wear with a garter belt. They may work well for you, especially if you have thinner legs.

My favorite store is Magnolia Hoisery. The customer service is excellent, so drop them a line and they will be able to help you select the right pair (or help you in finding a custom pair.) I find their prices to be very reasonable ($10-12 a pair), and the quality is top notch as well.

decodoll

Practically Family
You could also try Christel or Touchable. Both have stockings for those over 6'.

Jitterbugdoll~for those of your friends that have slimmer legs, I would suggest ordering one size smaller than the size chart indicates. Has always worked for me. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's a good tip. I also think that some stores offer both regular and opera length stockings, although most do seem to stick with opera length...the one gal I am thinking of is very petite and thin; she always wears vintage stockings because new ones are just too loose.

At some point I want to order from Christel--I can't seem to find a U.S. retailer that offers French point or other fancy heels! I like to try something new every once in a while!

swinggal

One Too Many
I have tonnes of vintage nylons but only bring them out on special occasions now and they are far too precious. Laddered many a pair in the past so stopped wearing them. I even have some 1930s silk stockings and cotton ones from the late 20s as well.

Some of the vinatge ones have been too small but I find the ones that are a vintage 10 fit me perfectly, and I am 5 feet 7 and a half.

Even buying new ones that are fully fashioned with seam can be an expensive business when you ladder them a lot while dancing, which I always seem to do.

So, for every day wear and dancing, I make my own! I buy both stockings and panthose (depends what i feel like wearing) and sew a seam down the back with a thicker gauge thread than normal. I set it in the stretch sewing setting and whamo! They are done!! This means I can wear them and not nind ripping hole in $2 pair of stocking,s then just throw them away. Or I can just run up another single leg to match the one I laddered. Also, they are more comfy for every day wear and dancing. Modern stockings are a little longer on the thigh too, but they still work with my vintage suspenders.

Also, it's nice to have some pairs that don't have a the cuban heel for wearing with flats and saddles. I only wear the points and Cubans with heels of course. But I can wear the ones I made with casual shoes.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Another option if those don't work out and you're really desperate for the look is a new spray that's out that you spray on your legs to make it look like you have pantyhose. I saw it at Walmart in the cosmetics section. I know they had something like that in 40s but I don't know how well it works. You could then paint/draw a seam on the back. I'm 5-8 and it's sometimes hard to find pantyhose long enough too and I can imagine at 6-1, it's gotta be really tough.

Jen

New in Town
This brought back memories of my mom's stories of dealing with NY summers. When she was in high school (very strict Catholic Brooklyn high school) they had to wear nylons, even in June. Now, June in NY can be pretty hot and humid. My mom, being the artist in her class, would meet up with her friends before school, paint their legs with makeup, and draw seams up the backs of their legs, thus fooling the nuns and staying cool!

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
That's a good tip. I also think that some stores offer both regular and opera length stockings, although most do seem to stick with opera length...the one gal I am thinking of is very petite and thin; she always wears vintage stockings because new ones are just too loose.

At some point I want to order from Christel--I can't seem to find a U.S. retailer that offers French point or other fancy heels! I like to try something new every once in a while!

Actually, Secrets In Lace have the French Point, and they are based in Virginia! Their stockings are very good quality... worth every penny. I LOVE how they have the keyhole in the welt.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've ordered from them before--nice stuff but again, expensive. I think there are several knitting machines (I want to say five) that are being operated in England.

Actually, for the girdles I recommend www.girdlebound.com. They also sell Rago, but for about half the price. I love my Rago Corsolet--I had it dyed light blue and it turned out lovely!

elsewhere

Familiar Face
jitterbugdoll said:
I've ordered from them before--nice stuff but again, expensive. I think there are several knitting machines (I want to say five) that are being operated in England.

Actually, for the girdles I recommend www.girdlebound.com. They also sell Rago, but for about half the price. I love my Rago Corsolet--I had it dyed light blue and it turned out lovely!

Great site! Thanks :)

I KNEW I'd seen those corsets before.. and just figured out where. Unfortunately, they seem to be on hiatus for a bit (it's in the air lately, I think) but they have some Rago stuff, too:
http://www.starlitefashions.com/index.htm

MissTayva

What Katie Did is ridiculously expensive, because of the exchange rate (damn the economy, haha!). I've found a lot of the same or similar stuff at various places around the web.

As far as Secrets In Lace goes... yes they are expensive, but I think their nylons are far superior to everyone else's. My vintage girdles always seem to tear the welts of my stockings, and the SIL ones hold up the best, not to mention, it takes A LOT to make them run! I get them only once and a while (when I really feel like splurging and spoiling myself). Otherwise, it's Magnolia for me!

For you eBay ladies, check out the seller "orchardcorsets". They sell the same stuff as Magnolia Hosiery, Girdlebound and What Katie Did (they still have all of the discontinued Lady Marlene bustiers and merrywidows!) for way cheaper. They always have stuff on special, too. I scored a Rago Corsolette for $20 than what they normally are!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy