Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYTIMES: White House Unbuttons Formal Dress Code

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/us/politics/29whitehouse.html?_r=1&ref=us?_r=1

(OK, we all know that the word 'formal' is used incorrectly in the title).

Interesting nonetheless. I would liked to have read more about other past presidents and their day-to-day on the job dress.

For what it's worth, Pres. Bush dressed down during staff meetings at his ranch in Texas.

Mods: If this is too political please lock.

NH

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has been mentioned in several threads, including the "Historical and Ideological Roots of Anti-Suit Hatred" one. I don't think it will be considered too political as long as no one takes it as an opportunity to "get medieval" on Obama.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
^ I saw that thread, but didn't get to reading it yet. :eek:

It's funny, I remember reading a similar article about Bush back in 2001 saying that his dress would be more relaxed than Clinton's. Anyboy remember this, or what Clinton was like? If true, I wonder if Bush changed, perhaps after 9/11?

NH

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"Under Mr. Bush, punctuality was a virtue. Meetings started early — the former president once locked Secretary of State Colin L. Powell out of the Cabinet Room when Mr. Powell showed up a few minutes late — and ended on time."

:eusa_doh: Is it any wonder............

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating article, fun look at some of the inner workings of our government that we never think about. Thanks for posting!

kyda

One of the Regulars
Casual dress friday?????

Do you think they will ever adopt a casual dress Friday???? Glad to see he is a bit more relaxed, Mr Bush seemed to be a tightly wound spring that could never be let go.

Dave the Hick

New in Town
I, for one, think the entire White House (other than the living quarters) should be a suit-and-tie zone.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Dave the Hick said:
I, for one, think the entire White House (other than the living quarters) should be a suit-and-tie zone.

I think the dress code at the White House should be whatever makes our President comfortable while being leader of the free world.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
I think the dress code at the White House should be whatever makes our President comfortable while being leader of the free world.

IMO a suit can not lead a country - it's what's behind the suit that counts.
A country can be lead by the right man in jeans and a T-shirt.
The times they are changing.

Foofoogal

Banned

I also believe this. Serious business calls for serious attire. Last job in the whole world I would ever want. Period.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

:eek:fftopic: Not to get political, but that`s a bit much don't you think. But I agree, the president of the USA can wear whatever he wants, I like him anyway;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dave the Hick said:

Agreed. People at the White House should be dressed for business and appear as such. They're not there to turn it into the White Trash House, as much as a few recent administrations have tried to do just that in their own special way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's not about dressing comfortably - it's about dressing appropriately. If they're handling the most important business in the entire world, they should be dressed appropriately, dressed well and dressed for business.

Anytime you seen Queen Elizabeth & the royal family at the Buckingham Palace and for most other events, they're all properly dressed. When they go to Balmoral or Windsor on the weekends, I think it's great we get to also see them more casual, but that's their own time. That's the weekend. It's family time - not doing business time.

There was a documentary a few years ago where she was out driving around in her Range Rover with the corgis, scarf around her head, tweed skirt, giving the reporter accompanying her quite a teeth-jarring drive as she was headed out to see what the grandkids were up to. Then she & the Queen Mum as Ascot. She bet a pound on one horse, her mother another, and she was genuinely excited her horse won. She was tripping off to the payout window to collect her five pounds or whatever it was. But that's the weekend, on her own time (so to speak). That's fine.

If Obama et all want to run around the private residence in sandals & beach wear or the like, fine. But anytime they're conducting state business and/or anytime they're appearing before the press or diplomatic occasions, they should dress appropriately. They're SUPPOSED to be the best that America has to offer.

just_me

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
IMO a suit can not lead a country - it's what's behind the suit that counts.
A country can be lead by the right man in jeans and a T-shirt.
The times they are changing.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(Look at the mess some Presidents have made while wearing suits.)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The president doesn't live and work in a bubble but among and in view of dignitaries, heads of state, religious and political leaders, and friends and enemies of the U.S. Nearly all of them wear serious clothing in public. I'd rather not have the president be the odd man out in a jeans and a t-shirt because it's comfortable. Meaning no disrespect to the president, his work is not about being comfortable.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Paisley said:
The president doesn't live and work in a bubble but among and in view of dignitaries, heads of state, religious and political leaders, and friends and enemies of the U.S. Nearly all of them wear serious clothing in public.

True...and there is every indication that President Obama will wear a suit and tie when among dignitaries, heads of state, etc. In fact, Obama's suits, dress shirts and ties are extremely conservative in appearance, and will almost certainly remain so for the next four or eight years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda