Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's A2 ?

Michael Farris

New in Town
There were lots of photos of the president on a surprise visit to Afghanistan last week. Most photos showed him an A2.

Here are some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXmZBpSxhYE (2 places)

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101203/obama-kabul-visit-101203/20101203/?hub=WinnipegHome half-way down page

http://www.google.ca/images?source=og&q=obama+Afghanistan+surprise+visit&hl=en&ned=us&tab=ni&biw=888&bih=511

I am curious if anyone can say who the maker is and whether they got the fit right. It looks pretty good to me. 40T, I'd say.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, there are actually some huge discussion about this on vintageflightjacket.org. I think Obama's A2 is actually the current issued Cockpit USA A-2. The fit is definitely modern, not like the snug, tight fit you find on the original WW2 period A-2.

kojax

Practically Family
i would say maybe gibson barnes they just did 50 jackets for george bush for some kind of promotion this year

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I saw him wearing it on the news and thought it's a shame he didn't get one that fits!
He has a good shape that could carry off the snug military look too...:confused:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Yeah, this particular A-2 looks terrible on him. One would think they could provide a jacket that fits him properly.

- Ian

Last edited:

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
glad to see the responses from here...was wondering myself....hope he hasn't used taxpayer $$ for an expensive jacket...

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The color of the knits make me think of an issue Saddlery A-2. Alot of conjecture on my part. Having friends and relatives who served on AF one or on presidential support missions, I can say that he might never wear the same jacket twice.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
hope he hasn't used taxpayer $$ for an expensive jacket...

If it was "issued" to him, it was bought with tax payer money.

If he bought it with his current pay check, he basically used tax payer money.

Either way, I wish WE could have gotten him a better fitting jacket LOL

JanSolo

Practically Family
Anyone noticed that this jacket has side panels? What current manufacturer makes such a strange A2?

800_ap_obama_101203.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Anyone noticed that this jacket has side panels? What current manufacturer makes such a strange A2?

I think I saw a comment (over on VLJ?) that the latest spec jackets from Cockpit have the extra side panels in larger sizes... along with gussets, inner pockets, and Indy-jacket-style hidden handwarmers.

Yes, the current jackets are pretty ugly... but that's what the Pres is gonna wear, no matter how much the likes of us would prefer to see him in a good WWII repro!

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I feel sorry for him now. Someone has screwed him over with the bad jacket. Barack deserves the best as Paddy says. You could put Bush in anything and he'd always look like a clown but Obama could have worn a nice jacket well.

Feraud

Bartender
The president has a healthy looking physique and could use a better fit in that jacket. Didn't they used to have "people" take care of such issues?
The last time the president wore jeans that fit and had a decent rise the media made fun of him. Something along the line of "mom jeans".
I guess you have to dress like a slob to get along nowadays.

Edward

Bartender
I imagine he's wearing the standard current issue. US Presidents do all seem to go in for flight jackets when visiting troops. I suppose this ties in with a sense of solidarity with the military, plus their role as CiC - not something you would, afaik, see a British PM doing, but I don't think they're a comparable post, which is likely a big reason for it. I seem to remember Bush wearing a few different flight jackets, though in my head I associate him more with the nylon type. Does it vary depending which branch of the services they are visiting? Bush, of course, also had an association with some branch of other of the military aside from being CiC as President, so I did wonder whether his choice of jacket reflected that at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner