Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's A2 ?

Who are those "wannabe losers" or "wannabe-military-types" that you are talking about and why are they "mostly lonely nerds with no friends"? Civilians who wear the A2 only because they think its a good looking and well made jacket? Just curious :confused:

Thought I explained it...
Reneactors wearing period/battle/unit correct gear like the 101st Airborne act like they parachuted over the actual battlefields. I respect the ability to spend a ton of money and time replicating the time/place/gear, etc. But let's get real, you did NOT participate in WWII fellas!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The A-2 may be an exception.

We do know that A-1-like jackets - cape or suede with button fronts and knits - became popular sportswear before the Army issue A-1 in the 20s.

We also know that Security Sportswear, makers of the first contract A-2 in 1932, made a civilian version (the "Security Cordwain Jacket") at about the same time. But A-2-like jackets were not widely popular yet, and would not be for some years. The use of a zipper would have made them very expensive.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
A-2s have been worn by civilians for almost as long as A-2s have been worn by the military. In fact, one could easily argue that the A-2's civilian career overshaddows its military career. Remember, the A-2 was removed from the military's inventory in 1943 and didn't return until 1988 whereas civilain A-2s have been in production continously since the thirties.

We've all seen old the Aero advertisments. This one is from a 1940 edition of Flying magizine.

airportphotos054.jpg

AF

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wonder how far back those ads go? That one is the earliest I've seen.

I know Air Associates, a mail-order aviation supply house, offered an A-2 to the civvy market at about the time Security came out with the 32-485. No visual evidence however.

The papers of Leroy Hill, an Air Associates exec, are at Wichita State University. There are some catalogs in there. It's a place to start.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Wonder how far back those ads go? That one is the earliest I've seen.

Hi Fletch. I was cleaning my parent's house and found a stack of Dad's old Flyiing magizines from when he was a teenager. They go back into the late thirties and most contain an ad for Aero's mil spec flying jacket. Earlier jackets were priced at $9.99. Somewhere around 1939 or early 1940, the price went up a dollar.

Dscn0051.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Obama & JFK

I wonder if the jacket is 'oversized' because he might be wearing some form of body armor under the jacket/shirt?
You are absolutely right! In some photos the jacket looks tighter then in others, vest, no vest. Hard to believe, just 50 years ago next year, I was only a little over an arms length from JFK! Those days will never come back!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
morrison2951 said:
OMG! The A-2 has swallowed up Mr. President!
If you've seen photos of current USAF officers wearing these jackets you'd notice they're often swallowed up too. It seems modern A-2s are deliberately over-sized (no, I don't mean the $1,000 specially made ones that are popular around here, I'm talking issue or semi-issue jackets).

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'd venture to suggest this is form following function.... the original A2 was cut to be worn over a collar and tie. These modern ones look to have the cut of an MA1, i.e. to be worn over the top of a relatively bulky flightsuit. At least in thoery (are they ever actually worn in flight at all?).

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I'd venture to suggest this is form following function.... the original A2 was cut to be worn over a collar and tie. These modern ones look to have the cut of an MA1, i.e. to be worn over the top of a relatively bulky flightsuit. At least in thoery (are they ever actually worn in flight at all?).

We wore ours while flying, but not combat.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I agree, Obama's A2 jacket is too big. Leather jackets approaching that fit may be commonplace among military personnel that do wear them, but if he is the President, I would have thought more care would have went into the fit of his jacket. It looks larger on him than those of the other pictures. I would also want the U.S. Armed Forces to issue trimmer fitting jackets, more like the ones made around the Second World War.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think the Commander-in-Chief should have a custom made A2. I also think it should have art on the back. Totally hypothetical, what kind of art or maybe 'Pin-up' would a President have on it?

I think Monroe, if a pinnup, or a B-52 flying outta the Looney Tunes logo, dropping a string of bombs- 'That's all folks!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner