Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Occupied Japan Silver Compact

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In looking for something else, this compact (along with some great cufflinks and an early 20th century Gillette razor) turned up in a box today.
My late father-in-law got this in Japan in the early '50's. It appears to be plate, with an asian motif. The compact opens to a mirror, then a little compartment underneath opens to reveal a puff. The whole thing is in a red-velvet lined presentation case.
I had a devil of a time photographing it after I polished off the tarnish. Sorry for the blurring. Any of our knowledgable ladies seen anything like it? Is it common?

compact1.jpg

compact2.jpg

compact3.jpg

compact4.jpg

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Any markings on the underside or the bottom of the compartment to indicate manufacturer/craftsman/artist?
Is there a screen to hold down the powder?
It looks like a loose powder compact, the kind that women carried around their loose face powder in.
I'm no expert either, so I can't say any more than this.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The only marking I find is "95 Silver" under the powder compartment (yes screen), though I think the artist may have signed the front. I'm going to get better pictures this evening.
Thanks very much for your input. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
The only marking I find is "95 Silver" under the powder compartment (yes screen), though I think the artist may have signed the front. I'm going to get better pictures this evening.
Thanks very much for your input. :)

I collect compacts (albeit in a 'if i like it i buy it' sorta casual way) and I haven't seen one like that.

Of course that means nothing in terms of possible value. Compacts where changed in design like fashion, so not seeing one before just means that the rest of that style are gone, not that anyone wants it now.

Very nice though and to have stuff one's family members had is always nicer in my opinion.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
The signature is that of the craftsman/artist.
The two letters on the right reads "Hiroyama" and the single letter on the left, "koku" which means carve, so the design on the lid was carved by someone who's family name is Hiroyama. Or it could be pronounced "Kosan" or "Kozan" in which case it will be the name of the carver himself, though in this case this name would be a "pen name" and not his true name.

The scene looks like a castle or a temple/shrine in the mountains, and I think the latter is more likely. There are a number of famous Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines located in the moutainous areas of Japan, but I can't say which. Someone who knows these places may be able to point out a particular spot, or it may be a general scene carved out of memory. The compact may have been a souvenier of such a place, or a gift for rememberance.

Since it seems to be in it's original box, are there any markings or writings on the lid, inside, or the bottom or the underside of the box? If there are any, maybe I can tell you more.

Maybe, if you could find out places your father-in-law visited in Japan, you might be able to find out where it came from, and armed with the info of the name, you might even be able to find who made this. If you really could pull it off, this compact can be quite a find in terms of memories, at least.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank you so much for your help! It is most helpful to have a direction for research, rather than blindly digging around. This was one of a few such pieces that we have found in various boxes, including a couple of small cigarette lighters with a similar design. One thing seems clear: either the recipient of these gifts didn't like them, or felt they were too precious to use, for they remained boxed and unseen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic