Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oddest thing you've found under a hat's sweatband, vintage or new.

MattJH

One Too Many
I was going to post this in the Observation Bar, but this is fairly hat-specific.

I was at an antique shop a few weeks ago and found an old, beat up Mallory. I looked under the sweatband out of curiosity and found a bunch of age-yellowed foam... and a dried, bloody band-aid.

Seriously.

(I had a hard time dating the band-aid.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Feraud

Bartender
I have only ever found hat tags under the band but tend to put stuff in my hats.
Fifty years from now someone is going to find old movie ticket stubs and receipts in my former hats.

Thornhill

New in Town
I've never found a vintage hat that fits me, so I can't say I've ever found anything in one. I like to keep vintage pin-ups under my lid. I once found an old 20$ bill pressed into a book I bought for 25c at a flea market.

majormoore

Vendor
I have seen pages from the bible inside sweatbands, the old man who the hat belonged to told me when I asked him about that, said " Son its best to always have the lords words close to you, and there is not a better place to have them as close to your brain as you can get, and this here sweatband is close to mine"

I thought about that and I have to agree.

Mike

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
majormoore said:
I have seen pages from the bible inside sweatbands, the old man who the hat belonged to told me when I asked him about that, said " Son its best to always have the lords words close to you, and there is not a better place to have them as close to your brain as you can get, and this here sweatband is close to mine"

I thought about that and I have to agree.

Mike

Deuteronomy 6:4-8
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads."

TipTop

Practically Family
New-Found Surprises INSIDE New Hats

Today, I got this nice Resistol Stagecoach Western Fedora from eBay. Very nice felt, but the brim appears to have been trimmed and ribbon is just stuck on there, without a bow; but I like it. Showing inside the hat when advertised was a paper tag, but the seller said it was not a mfg tag and he didn't know the size, other than it was larger than 1/8. (Well, DUH, I found the 7 1/2 tag right inside the sweat.) Anyway, upon examination the paper tags are two movie passes for something called Rango 2010. This late date is what convinces me that it has been recently worn and messed with (trimmed, festooned, etc.) and that the owner gave up after wearing it out to the movies a couple years ago.

What surprises/clues have you found in new old hats?

15965274-lg.jpg

15965373-lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
about 30 years ago i found zig-zag paper in a thrift store find a tall milan with Butt cheek like crease... i still have that hat

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
News paper from 1950's, it was an ad for the new improved railroad going through the area, (Super Chief),and also an article about a new processor in town for killing livestock, behind the sweatband on Dobbs 15 Open Road clone hat, and behind the sweatband of Vintage Dunlap I found a business card folded in half, it said C.D. Garland, Dry Cleaning, 303 Franklin Road, Roanoke, Virginia, Dial 8121

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a nice Stetson homburg on Ebay a few years ago, and found two ticket stubs for a movie in Madison, Ohio, from February of 1938. I actually started a thread about it, which is somewhere out there in cyberspace, if you want to look for it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased a nice Stetson homburg on Ebay a few years ago, and found two ticket stubs for a movie in Madison, Ohio, from February of 1938. I actually started a thread about it, which is somewhere out there in cyberspace, if you want to look for it.

That is interesting and provocative to thinking about who owned it, and what was going on at the time.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Thirty years ago, at least around here is was not uncommon for an older gentlemen-(the ones most likely to ware a hat) to have Zig-Zag paper with them. Prince Albert rolled by hand was much cheaper than "store bought". I have found them in old clothing before.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
Slightly off-topic, I bought a suit at Goodwill for a Halloween outfit and found a funeral card for someone who died 15 years before. I suppose that was the last time the suit was worn.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Inside a late-'30s Cavanagh sweatband I found an early Social Security claim form with the mail-in portion already removed.

SSClaim2.jpg

SSClaim.jpg

Brad

gdc

One of the Regulars
Thirty years ago, at least around here is was not uncommon for an older gentlemen-(the ones most likely to ware a hat) to have Zig-Zag paper with them. Prince Albert rolled by hand was much cheaper than "store bought". I have found them in old clothing before.

My grandfather has been gone thirty years. I have fond memories of him sitting on his front porch in a green metal chair, rolling his own cigarettes and enjoying life. I have the chair and one of his hats, an inexpensive western straw. Sadly, the fedoras he wore in many old pictures are long gone and nobody seems to know what happened to them.

I haven't found anything of interest in hats other than moth bites and ballpoint names on liners. :(

hatflick1

Practically Family
I once found the top half of a form letter of introduction (insert name) from an unemployed man who hoped to get work back during the Depression. I imagine him going door to door and handing the entire letter to the party on the stoop, while wiping his sweatband, beaded with expectation.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Deuteronomy 6:4-8
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads."

It's called tefillin.

200px-IDF_soldier_put_on_tefillin.jpg

There are two parts. Both look like small hats with leather bindings. One goes on your head, and the other on your left arm, bound a very specific way.

That particular prayer is the holiest one in the book.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I've found things people use to pad a hat that is a tad too large for them including napkins and tissue paper (the most common) to band-aids and once a piece of rope in a late 50's Gun Club Stetson. The Stetson's sweatband had an obvious curve that made it obvious something was under the leather. Didn't look too comfortable to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara