Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oddfellows & Masonic schtuff

mike

Call Me a Cab
Never, and I mean never have I come home from the bar with such a crazy thing. I am going to wear this to HP Lovecraft's grave in a few weeks to perform some mystic, secret rites. I've been missing them on ebay for years. I was hoping to land one for last years trip to Lovecraft's grave but luck was not on my side. My ex girlfriend used to work at Necromance in Los Angeles, so I spent a lot of time there and saw many masonic/oddfellow items come and go, but these robes I thought looked right off the cover of some golden age pulp magazine!

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

DSCN0529.jpg

Anyone else have any creepy and weird Oddfellows or Masonic stuff?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I don't own it, but I saw this through the window of a building offered for sale. It was hard to resist phoning the number asking could I buy the stuff inside, but my husband suggested I cannot collect all the weird, dusty discards of the world. :(
3828613538_2eb6bc4f21_b.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
I don't own it, but I saw this through the window of a building offered for sale. It was hard to resist phoning the number asking could I buy the stuff inside, but my husband suggested I cannot collect all the weird, dusty discards of the world. :(

Wow! I'd love to see some of those faces close up! Were any of their names listed?

That's also a crazy child's coffin complete with moveable faceboard! Two different old roommates of mine had similar... can't say I was too comfortable sleeping under the same roof as those :eek:

Gene

Practically Family
My grandpa was a 33rd degree Mason which I understand is pretty high up there, and I have this weird Bible or book or something written completely in unintelligible code...pretty sure there's a goat's head in there somewheres.

Gene

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Gene said:
My grandpa was a 33rd degree Mason which I understand is pretty high up there, and I have this weird Bible or book or something written completely in unintelligible code...pretty sure there's a goat's head in there somewheres.

Gene

That's called a cipher book; it's supposed to be unintelligible. :D

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
DSCN0529.jpg

You (and Dr. Gogol) look like a centaur. It does look like a black legion robe. Nasty fellows. Still, cool outfit.
img178-1.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
You (and Dr. Gogol) look like a centaur. It does look like a black legion robe. Nasty fellows. Still, cool outfit.

Tell me more about the Black Legion please! That might not be Dr Gogol but my cloven hoof.... lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Can anyone confirm if that robe is actually Black Legion rather than Oddfellows...? If so, I'm not keeping it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:

You should have grabbed the Stickley/FLWright Prairie House/ Arts and Crafts style bench at least.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
RobeBlackSkullF.jpg

Here's one of theirs. Like them other guys in white it appears they wear the patch on their left breast. The other guys also admit they stole a lot of their costumes from the Odd Fellows. I'd claim it's either O.O.F. or a 'repro'. Ignore the other possibility.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1. Where is Lovecraft's grave?

2. I was invited to join the Oddfellows. Well, not exactly invited to join per se, but invited to a dinner that was a membership drive. A friend of mine is a member. They have a headquarters on Alameda Island. It's an old storefront and looks to be very cool inside. I learned that I would have to swear to believing in God to join: couldn't do it. Also, the guys I met were very nice, but their sartorial taste was so unlike mine (busted flannel shirts, huge gray beards, baseball caps) that I just didn't think I'd get along with them.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bburtner@moran said:
You would not be invited to join,and as to the God thing,it is asked if you believe in a supreme being.That covers a broad spectrum!!!

1. Correct: as I very, very clearly wrote, I "was not exactly invited to join per se, but invited to a dinner that was a membership drive." You do not need to "correct" something that I already corrected myself in my original post.

2. I do not believe in a supreme being.

3. They also state that the word of "God" is revealed in the Bible, which I also do not believe.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Odd Fellows paper weight

I have an Odd Fellows paperweight made of glass. It belonged to my great grandfather. It is made of glass. Embedded about half-way down is a white layer. On this there is a symbol of three links (as in a chain). "F", "L", and "T" are inscribed in the hollow part of the links. It has my great grandfathers first two initials and his (my) last name, and the date "Aug. 27th, 1883".

Can anyone tell me about this? Was this given when a member joined or on some other occasion?

Thanks.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Friendly societies in Britain, including the Oddfellows, were forums for working class and lower-middle class people, set up so they could educate and represent themselves in wider society. They had regalia, but generally to denote office-holding among members. It's strange to hear the Oddfellows associated with secrecy and robes and funny handshakes.

KN, here's F, L, T explained.

Anyway, thanks to this thread I've been enjoying Bogart's excellent performance, among a talented supporting cast, in The Black Legion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy