Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ode to a hot water bottle.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Before I lived in England, I was a devotee of the plug in electric heating pad.

However, I was converted to the soft fuzzy gentle heat of the hot water bottle, since for some reason electric heating pads were pricey and I was a student, so originally my going 'native' was a cost thing.

But even now, when I could again use an electric heating pad, I am sold on my hot water bottle. Its gentle and has that weight that means you can lean it against you and its like a snuggle of heat.

It warms your feet on cold nights, yet doesn't stay 'on' all night making you eventually sweat in bed.

It can be the comfort for so many things..sinus pressure on face, backaches, and *cough* girl aches too.

ok...enough rambling..hot water bottle and bed it is for me!

Ellie Jane

New in Town
I'm a hot water bottle gal too - especially when the OH won't let me warm my toes in the backs of his knees ;) My cover is a ladybird made from fake fur, very snuggley.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm in England and I camped out at the Festival of History event this weekend.
I wore in bed:
1 pair WAAF issue WW2 PJs
1 pair Socks
1 vest (thermal)
1 pair 'big' Bridget Jones pants
1 wool cardigan.

I forgot my hot water bottle and despite it being August...I froze!!!!!!!!!!!!

A well deserved ode for a wonderful item.:eusa_clap

epr25

Practically Family
I had no idea that it was so cold there now. Is that the norm?

Kitty_Sheridan said:
I'm in England and I camped out at the Festival of History event this weekend.
I wore in bed:
1 pair WAAF issue WW2 PJs
1 pair Socks
1 vest (thermal)
1 pair 'big' Bridget Jones pants
1 wool cardigan.

I forgot my hot water bottle and despite it being August...I froze!!!!!!!!!!!!

A well deserved ode for a wonderful item.:eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Yep, our summer lasted about 4 days, I got my winter jacket out again yesterday. Worst summer possible, not including the horrific flooding of the last month, we now have a severe weather warning in place again.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
Yep, our summer lasted about 4 days, I got my winter jacket out again yesterday. Worst summer possible, not including the horrific flooding of the last month, we now have a severe weather warning in place again.

I'm really hoping there's no more floods :( I avoided them last time (even the floods wont come to Slough lol) but I start a new job in a couple of weeks, and it's right next to the Thames

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read recently in relation to Britain's current weather, that with global warming, the Gulf Stream will not pass as far north as it does now, thus giving the British Isles a COOLER climate. Amazingly, London is at the same latitude as Moscow, but is kept warm by the Gulf Stream. You guys have much greater variation in day length from summer to winter than we here in New York, for example,do living at latitude 42 degrees.
I've been told by a physical therapist the wet heat, i.e. hot water bottle, is better for you than dry heat, i.e. heating pad, for most purposes.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
It's supposed to be raining by tomorrow, and so by our terribly unrealistic standards, it is getting cold here. (I do realise that our cold is balmy to others, but I am adjusted to -here-)

I have -resolved- not to turn the darn heating on until at least December...if not January, because it dries my skin out and costs money and once you start making it warm, it is more difficult to stop having it be warm-ish inside, then if you just never start.

So it's time to break out the hot water bottle for feet warming in bed again, so I thought I would wake this thread up from it's nap.

Now see...I wish I would have had my hot water bottle at the QM last weekend, as they fixed the air conditioning and I froze for most of at least one night sleeping (teeth chattering, the whole 9 yards) and I had not even thought to bring a pair of -socks- with me.....brrrrr

*thinks happy warm feet thoughts*

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
My bedroom is detatched from the rest of the house and the entire home has very high ceilings. I'm afraid that any night without three blankets and a hot water bottle is a sad one. I even crocheted cozies for them (using patterns from 1915!) because I like to put my feet on them! ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My hot water bottle was on duty last night here in England! Alongside it, flannelette pyjamas and wooly bedsocks.

It's jolly chilly, you know, especially with the BF away.

I still want to buy an electric blanket though. I grew up in a freezing cold house, so I appreciate getting into a warm bed. :)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
WOW.. i never even though of using a hot water bottle to heat myself up in the winter... Now that is something I will have to try.. cause saving money is wonderful!:D

texasgirl

One Too Many
When I went to Ireland, the lady at the B&B left one for me. I didn't know what is was for-lol. When I asked, she looked at me like I was crazy, but I was like- I live in Texas! Although it does get chilly here at night, I might have to get one :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
I picked this one up at Marshall Field's a few years back.

For those link-shy, it's
41RnwvqVZIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I love it. It's very easy to use via a hidden twist spout in the back and it's never too-hot-to-touch due to the ducky cover. I highly recommend it.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:
WOW.. i never even though of using a hot water bottle to heat myself up in the winter... Now that is something I will have to try.. cause saving money is wonderful!:D
How funny, I never thought of it either. When I opened this thread I wondered what in the world it could be about :)

Apple Annie

New in Town
Mine's on regular service now again - along with 2 fleece blankets and lovely thick bedsocks.

Sadly it does mean in the morning that one has to crawl out of bed and leave the still cozily warm hot water bottle behind. Curse the freezing weather.

I'm intrigued as to your saying "going native" - are hot water bottles an English/British/European(delete as applicable) thing, then?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Apple Annie said:
I'm intrigued as to your saying "going native" - are hot water bottles an English/British/European(delete as applicable) thing, then?

Much more so then an American thing yes...in the states, we tend to think of electric heating pads, more then the hot water bottle.

If you go back and look at the responses even just in our little sample....the USAians...are the ones saying 'wow I never thought of that'....for the most part...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy