Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

off the boil

dr greg

One Too Many
I've been selling vintage clothes at local markets for over 40 years so I've seen trends come and go, but what's really interesting is the utter lack of interest in classic hats since the plague...dunno why, but not only have I not sold one this year, but no-one tries em on anymore, no gaggle of schoolgirls posing for instagram and then throwing them down like they're garbage once they have their shots, no old blokes wanting a replacement, no young guys needing one for fancy dress...it's bizarre, i know a bloke who sells NEW hats, those awful wool things...he does a roaring trade, but vintage? can't give em away....I only have small sizes left so i know they don't fit most people, but they don't even try em on, not interested AT ALL.....never seen it this bad!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Just one man's opinion but...in today's disposable world, very few people are sufficiently educated on vintage hats to understand and appreciate the craftsmanship involved. You might want to spend some time educating or providing some resources to prospective buyers. And, as always, be ready to tell them, and show them, why vintage is better.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have witnessed the hats in my local vintage or thrift shops being sold. Indeed, I have commissioned a couple hat sales. I made more profit on the local commissioned sales than Ebay. That is my small local experience.

Eric -

Last edited:
I know eBay, Goodwill online, etc. does a brisk business with quality vintage hats. It seems that quality vintage hats are getting harder and harder to find and those that do come up go for more than ever before. Sometimes I’m surprised that a nice hat doesn’t immediately sell, but more often I’m surprised that they sell for as much as they do. Of course size, style, colors, dimensions, etc. all play a big part.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
I've been selling vintage clothes at local markets for over 40 years so I've seen trends come and go, but what's really interesting is the utter lack of interest in classic hats since the plague...dunno why, but not only have I not sold one this year, but no-one tries em on anymore, no gaggle of schoolgirls posing for instagram and then throwing them down like they're garbage once they have their shots, no old blokes wanting a replacement, no young guys needing one for fancy dress...it's bizarre, i know a bloke who sells NEW hats, those awful wool things...he does a roaring trade, but vintage? can't give em away....I only have small sizes left so i know they don't fit most people, but they don't even try em on, not interested AT ALL.....never seen it this bad!
I feel like you answered your own question... Since the PLAGUE. Many (certainly not all) people are much more "sanitary" now. Surprisingly, in my experience, most of these people are the young ones (college age).
Those vintage hats are just germ sponges these days (I'm guessing). Online is a different story as your market is vastly larger and you can reach every hat junkie on this forum :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21