Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFF TO EBAY - early '40s Stetson Special - 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
ScottF said:

Scott, thanks..but I'm not looking for a Whippet that's too small for me right now, regardless of the price. I really don't want this to turn into a soap opera, but let's be honest. It seems to me that a lot of hats wind up here that are, in themselves, failed eBay "gambles." Hence, the price is set by what the buyer paid for it on eBay. Doesn't this seem pretty accurate? I mean, RLK has a hat like that listed here right now; he took a gamble on a nice Dobbs Twenty, paid $89 and change to win, it didn't fit, so he posted it here for $90. Why that price? Because that's where the eBay market set it, and he wants his money back. That's all perfectly fair as I see it. It's his hat, he knows what he paid, he's not trying to gouge anyone, and he's a straight up guy.

What would be disingenuous would be for him to post his $90 hat here, no one grab it from the classifieds, then grouse about how tight all the FL'ers are with their wallets, how the "esprit de corps" fails when it's time to pony up, etc. Like you said, deciding to pay $90 for the hat is very different from making a bid and hoping to get it for less. I suppose it would be worse to snag a hat for $5, then offer it here for $300. If that's what you're into, I guess your a vendor and you should be subject to those rules. Maybe that was tussle you referred to in your reply.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with any of this. I just saw the forever more, amen tone in your post and wished it didn't have to be that way. I understand that if maximum monetary return is the main priority, eBay makes sense. Conversely, selling a hat to a fellow FL'er in classifieds may do more to affirm our community and connections on the site, though the money may not be as big. As in all things, a trade off.

I mean no offense to anyone involved in this discussion; it's a free country and a free market, you know. In my short time here on the site, I've made a couple great pals, passed along a nice hat I got a insane bargain on (though Alex won't post a picture of it :) ), learned a great deal about hats, and looked at the classifieds a lot! As I said before, I really appreciate the established members who thin their herd with the classifieds, for the reasons I mentioned above, as well as the nice folks who see a hat at a local venue and offer to buy it for a lounger by proxy. That's impressive. Again, best of luck with your sale(s) where ever they may be!

Cheers,
GC

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
simmonsgc said:
S

It seems to me that a lot of hats wind up here that are, in themselves, failed eBay "gambles." Hence, the price is set by what the buyer paid for it on eBay.

Better to say that the price is set by at least what the buyer paid for it on eBay, a yard sale, or anywhere else.

On the other hand, many Classifieds sellers base their asking prices on the mean average price that their type of hat sells for on eBay.

simmonsgc said:
Scott, thanks..but I'm not looking for a Whippet that's too small for me right now, regardless of the price. I really don't want this to turn into a soap opera, but let's be honest. It seems to me that a lot of hats wind up here that are, in themselves, failed eBay "gambles." Hence, the price is set by what the buyer paid for it on eBay. Doesn't this seem pretty accurate? I mean, RLK has a hat like that listed here right now; he took a gamble on a nice Dobbs Twenty, paid $89 and change to win, it didn't fit, so he posted it here for $90. Why that price? Because that's where the eBay market set it, and he wants his money back. That's all perfectly fair as I see it. It's his hat, he knows what he paid, he's not trying to gouge anyone, and he's a straight up guy.

What would be disingenuous would be for him to post his $90 hat here, no one grab it from the classifieds, then grouse about how tight all the FL'ers are with their wallets, how the "esprit de corps" fails when it's time to pony up, etc. Like you said, deciding to pay $90 for the hat is very different from making a bid and hoping to get it for less. I suppose it would be worse to snag a hat for $5, then offer it here for $300. If that's what you're into, I guess your a vendor and you should be subject to those rules. Maybe that was tussle you referred to in your reply.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with any of this. I just saw the forever more, amen tone in your post and wished it didn't have to be that way. I understand that if maximum monetary return is the main priority, eBay makes sense. Conversely, selling a hat to a fellow FL'er in classifieds may do more to affirm our community and connections on the site, though the money may not be as big. As in all things, a trade off.

Cheers,
GC

Amen. I get tired of hearing from the crybabies.
A thing is only worth what you can get for it. If you can't sell it then take the hint. :rolleyes:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:

A thing is only worth what you can get for it. If you can't sell it then take the hint. :rolleyes:

Exactly right, Jamespowers. We get tired of hearing from the crybabies who urge us to offer good stuff in the Classifieds section.

If you can't sell your hat in in the FL Classifieds, then don't waste your time. It's worth nothing there. Take it directly to eBay, where it more likely will be worth something.

Marc Chevalier said:
Exactly right, Jamespowers. We get tired of hearing from the crybabies who urge us to offer good stuff in the Classifieds section.

If you can't sell your hat in in the FL Classifieds, then don't waste your time. It's worth nothing there. Take it directly to eBay, where it probably will be worth something.

And then we will hear from crybabies about how little they get for it there and how stuff goes for nothing on eBay as well---posting links to prove it. :rolleyes:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
And then we will hear from crybabies about how little they get for it there and how stuff goes for nothing on eBay as well---posting links to prove it. :rolleyes:

For vintage suits, ties and caps? You sure will, I promise! But not for fedoras, since they usually sell well on eBay.

It's called "trying to encourage Loungers to take the plunge and buy vintage menswear, other than fedoras and homburgs."

You sell vintage stuff on eBay from time to time, JP. Have you ever tried selling anything in the Classifieds?

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Better to say that the price is set by at least what the buyer paid for it on eBay, a yard sale, or anywhere else.

Yep. That is better to say. That was exactly the case with the Golden Coach I passed along. A good deal I got on a hat that was too small. I think a lot of loungers here do that, bless 'em. Perhaps the heart of the matter is what you said about "good business"... I don't do this for business, I just like to buy/wear/sell/swap and generally mess around with old hats.

I'm not going to call anyone (buyers or sellers) crybabies. I just came here to connect with other folks like me---the ones who like to mess around with old hats, and not get too wound up doing it.

Cheers,
GC

GWD

One Too Many
I come here at least 5 times a day looking for items that I might be interested in. If they are listed for sale here in the classifieds or links to ebay auctions it doesn't matter to me. This is a great spot for finding item listings that I didn't even know existed!

If I miss an item listed for sale in the classified section it's a bit more frustrating to me, because I only get one shot at it. With an ebay auction link I may pay more for an item, but if I'm willing to pay $1.00 more than the last guy at the end of the auction it's mine!

Conversely, if I have some vintage item for sale on ebay, I want to make sure that my demographic sees what I'm selling. There is no better place than right here in the FL Classified section.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That hat was fantastic. Being the owner of over a hundred brims and in the middle of trying to divest of some, hopefully excuses me from being a tightwad. And yes, that hat would've fit me.

I think Scott is a great dealer both here in the Classifieds and on Ebay, but I think he had a bit of a 'bad hair day' when this one languished here with no takers. Happens. And then I think he got over it. There; I said it. Still love ya' pal! :D I sincerely hope it brings top dollar when it does sell (and sometimes when the first thing doesn't work out you are actually dodging a bullet and it turns out better in the longer run ;) ).

Mostly, I really like, and am learning from, the muscular but civilized discussion which has followed. I am very new to selling hats, shoes, clothes, etc. I've been (and continue to be) great at gobbling up the stuff when there's a good deal but I am just now getting to know the ropes of selling, and the place I have been cutting my teeth is here in the Classifieds. So far, so good. I am curious why some jackets I've listed don't get any action but other items have moved along. I'm in it for three things: 1) A little cash. 2) To learn the process so I can be smooth when I do begin to also sell on Ebay. 3) To unite some rather interesting items with people who can fit them and appreciate them. :)

Thanks, The Fedora Lounge, for letting me be a member here, for allowing me to avail myself of buying from and selling to other members, and for valuable education about vintage items from fellows like Marc. I am grateful.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
simmonsgc said:
I really don't want this to turn into a soap opera, but let's be honest. It seems to me that a lot of hats wind up here that are, in themselves, failed eBay "gambles." Hence, the price is set by what the buyer paid for it on eBay. Doesn't this seem pretty accurate?
Cheers,
GC

No. I have seen no evidence to support your claim. Regarding this particular hat, I bought it on ebay at a bargain price of $40 shipped. It's a 7, I'm a 7 1/4 + 1/16. So no gamble there - It would have been FANTASTIC if it had been my size, but I bought the hat as part of a pre-1940 Stetson project I'm doing - to study, document, photograph, and then to turn around and sell here in the classifieds at a loss. That's what I'm doing - at my intro price of $40, which I considered a steal, I will still lose the $10 that it costs to ship.

But it doesn't matter - looks like I might have a buyer here on the lounge.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:

edited to remove an ill-advised insult that slipped from my virtual lips.

But, it doesn't change my new opinion of you.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
That hat was fantastic. Being the owner of over a hundred brims and in the middle of trying to divest of some, hopefully excuses me from being a tightwad. And yes, that hat would've fit me.

I think Scott is a great dealer both here in the Classifieds and on Ebay, but I think he had a bit of a 'bad hair day' when this one languished here with no takers. Happens. And then I think he got over it. There; I said it. Still love ya' pal! :D I sincerely hope it brings top dollar when it does sell (and sometimes when the first thing doesn't work out you are actually dodging a bullet and it turns out better in the longer run ;) ).

Mostly, I really like, and am learning from, the muscular but civilized discussion which has followed. I am very new to selling hats, shoes, clothes, etc. I've been (and continue to be) great at gobbling up the stuff when there's a good deal but I am just now getting to know the ropes of selling, and the place I have been cutting my teeth is here in the Classifieds. So far, so good. I am curious why some jackets I've listed don't get any action but other items have moved along. I'm in it for three things: 1) A little cash. 2) To learn the process so I can be smooth when I do begin to also sell on Ebay. 3) To unite some rather interesting items with people who can fit them and appreciate them. :)

Thanks, The Fedora Lounge, for letting me be a member here, for allowing me to avail myself of buying from and selling to other members, and for valuable education about vintage items from fellows like Marc. I am grateful.

Gene, thanks for your thoughts on this. I think I explained very well my thoughts about selling in the classifieds here vs selling on ebay, and I see nothing I said to justify Mr. Powers' labeling of me as a 'crybaby'. Given that I feel I could get more on ebay, then why did I offer this hat at a $10 loss? Anyone want to give this a little thought and then report back? Mr. Powers, any real thoughts?

I'm giving this damned hat away for free. I have a PM that I haven't responded to, and I'll let him know.

Edited to add: and if I survive the wrath of the bartender, I'll be visiting the Classifieds here about as often as I visit the Powder room.

RobStC

A-List Customer
FL Classifieds

Just want to say that I for one really appreciate the Classifieds. As someone who is relatively new to collecting hats, it's great to have a steady selection of possibilities presented by people who seem to know what they are presenting.

Even though the 'big' hats like Whippets or Stetson XXXXX's etc may not come up very often, for all the reasons previously mentioned (ie Ebay!), the Classifieds are still a great place to pick up some interesting hats and to explore some more 'ordinary' but great wearable hats that one can buy for very reasonable prices. Personally, I would prefer to avoid Ebay for as long as possible, so the Classifieds fit the bill for me.

I do think that anyone buying from the Classifieds should make it their business to be decisive and not protract the process with endless questions or quibbles. As ScottF said, selling through the Classifieds can be a time consuming process for the seller, with lots of PM's and general to-ing and fro-ing going on, and I can quite understand any frustration that may arise.

Having bought a couple of hats from the Classifieds over the last few weeks, I would like to acknowledge the time and efforts of the sellers to do it this way (Thankyou, ScottF and HPGene!!).

Long may the Classifieds continue :)

Rob St.C

I've sold in both places, the FL Classifieds & the 'Bay. Some items I don't list on FLC because they are either not of the time period or not worthy. I have listed hats here with an asking price of what I wanted out of them with a make me an offer. I got no takers & no offers. Some I have gotten takers & think all new owners have been pleased with item & price paid. In other words, no complaints. The items I took to the 'Bay after no takers or offers go at what price the market will bare. I just don't get why an auction type mechanism can't be offered on the FLC as it was done for johnnyphi to let this market set the price. I think the feature limits what does get listed here. JMHO

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
gtdean48 said:
I just don't get why an auction type mechanism can't be offered on the FLC as it was done for johnnyphi to let this market set the price.

A great idea. :eusa_clap Actually, several of us have done it here in the past. I once sold a vintage suit that way: only one bidder, but at least it sold ... so both he and I were happy!

Speaking of which, I've often wondered whether JohnnyPhi paid a fee or percentage to the Fedora Lounge for having hosted his auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters