Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OH-IO Who lives in the Buckeye state

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm finding it very interesting to see how far flung we all are. In the big cities like NY or Boston or LA, it's easy to find like minded folks into vintage stuff. But out in the great central mass of America, a person could feel awfully alone! I'm wondering if we could get one of those maps with a little red dot to show each individual member. Of course there are a few people who put their locations as "Earth" or "1930". But if we could get a zipcode (confidential if you want) for everyone, it might help people out here in the hinterlands find each other.

Kim_B

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I'm finding it very interesting to see how far flung we all are. In the big cities like NY or Boston or LA, it's easy to find like minded folks into vintage stuff. But out in the great central mass of America, a person could feel awfully alone! I'm wondering if we could get one of those maps with a little red dot to show each individual member. Of course there are a few people who put their locations as "Earth" or "1930". But if we could get a zipcode (confidential if you want) for everyone, it might help people out here in the hinterlands find each other.

That's a neat idea...it would be interesting to visualize where every one was located. This site is pretty nifty...http://www.frappr.com/

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I live in Brooklyn, but I grew up in Chautauqua, NY, home of Chautauqua Institution. It's in the westermost corner of the state, barely three hours east of Cleveland, and 3 1/2 hours north of Pittsburgh, so we get lot of midwesterners there in the summer. I have lots of friends from the Ohio, Indiana, Michigan region. There must be plenty of people in that general region into vintage, but I would guess more spread out.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yep,....sadly enough it seems the vintage scene is not so well received out here in the cornfields. It's also hard to find the cool vintage stuff I crave, but I am still relatively new to it all so I will hit the estate sales this spring and summer to see what I can find.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Ok. I am going to the Dan Zola Band Tues 9/11 (tomorrow night), if anyone wants to join me.

I'll be in the green dress....and probably the only gal in vintage with pin curls.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I will! I'm excited about it. One of my friends from work is coming along, but I wish some loungers lived near me!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
Ok. I am going to the Dan Zola Band Tues 9/11 (tomorrow night), if anyone wants to join me.

I'll be in the green dress....and probably the only gal in vintage with pin curls.
Wish I could make it,...but I didn't know anything about it and my plate's pretty full right now anyway. Maybe some other gig,...:)

shebagrl

Familiar Face
It's like you read my mind! I was just popping in here to see if there was anyone else from Ohio and any fun events to keep an eye open for. Thanks for posting those links, too! I'm in Columbus, but the drive to Cleveland is worth it on occasion. I have a pretty full schedule with school right now, but anything I see, I will post for all of us Ohioans ;)

What I wouldn't give to go to the big event in Cali in November...maybe next year, though!

leaette

A-List Customer
this is kinda late notice but in Conneaut, OH on Lake Erie, is having a WW2 event this Saturday. D-Day Normandy reenactment. The website doesn't have good photos on it, but you all have to trust me on this....It's worth the drive. The REAL Navy brings several landing craft and the allied reenactors have actual beach assults while the Germans are sitting atop a hill. There are planes flying over. Pyrotechnics. Lots of goodies to watch.
There are several hundred reenactors that go to this. They all have camps set up and you can walk thru them. There is a vendor area. And there will be a swing USO show afterwards at night.
I'll be there with my husband and son. We go every year. If you go and see me, say hi. My husband will have his German uniform on, and I'll be wearing some sort of civi clothing. And I'll be pushing a modern black stroller. (those darn vintage prams don't fold up in cars !!!)

www.ddayohio.com

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Wish I could make it,...but I didn't know anything about it and my plate's pretty full right now anyway. Maybe some other gig,...:)

The Dan Zola Band plays every Tuesday at the 100th Bomb Group, a restaurant near the Cleveland Hopkins Airport and a great place for loungers to meetup since the exterior sports vintage bombers and jeeps. So, the opportunity is there for a planned meetup in the future. Understandably, some further away folks might not be able to make it on a Tuesday.

I enjoyed tonight's performance. Sadly, the vocalist, Diane Palmer was missing for the evening due to a family illness, but I gather she'll be back soon. It didn't take long for an older gentleman to come ask me to dance. I danced most of the night, sharing dance partners with my friend.

The next thing I might go to (work schedule permitting) is going to hear Madison Crawl (I am not sure...they might be more rockabilly) and getting a swing dancing lesson from Get Hep Swing...that is listed on the second link and on Sat. the 29th.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
leaette said:
this is kinda late notice but in Conneaut, OH on Lake Erie, is having a WW2 event this Saturday. D-Day Normandy reenactment. The website doesn't have good photos on it, but you all have to trust me on this....It's worth the drive. The REAL Navy brings several landing craft and the allied reenactors have actual beach assults while the Germans are sitting atop a hill. There are planes flying over. Pyrotechnics. Lots of goodies to watch.
There are several hundred reenactors that go to this. They all have camps set up and you can walk thru them. There is a vendor area. And there will be a swing USO show afterwards at night.
I'll be there with my husband and son. We go every year. If you go and see me, say hi. My husband will have his German uniform on, and I'll be wearing some sort of civi clothing. And I'll be pushing a modern black stroller. (those darn vintage prams don't fold up in cars !!!)

www.ddayohio.com

I would ABSOLUTELY go to that, but it's my ten year high school reunion that night... I'll have to look for it next year.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
leaette said:

www.ddayohio.com

How amazing! I would love to go, but I've already committed myself to a birthday party for a friend. Rats. This event sounds like a lot more fun (but that's just between us) ;) Next year, most definitely. You too Noir! Maybe by then I'll have had some dancing lessons :eek:

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
leaette said:

www.ddayohio.com

Woohoo! :eusa_clap This is about 15 minutes from me. I knew it was coming up but I didn't know that they had a website! I've photographed a few guys in their uniforms over the past year. A couple even mentioned the possibility of getting me on the beach with some of my vintage photo gear! I wonder if it's too late... Anybody else going to this?? Maybe we can meet up for lunch or a dinner someplace!!

Scuffy

shebagrl

Familiar Face
NoirDame said:
I would ABSOLUTELY go to that, but it's my ten year high school reunion that night... I'll have to look for it next year.

:eek:fftopic: but wanted to wish you a fun time at your reunion! I just had mine earlier this summer. It was interesting, to say the least!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR