Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow, this is terrible stuff. A few years back, a man grabbed me and kissed me then ran off, that was scary. Rebecca and Lady Day, I'm so sorry you ladies had to go through such terrible experiences.

On another note, for you ladies size 12 and up, roamans sells garter belts that aren't "real" girdles, very nicely made. My auntie was suprised they still made them.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Rosie said:
Wow, this is terrible stuff. A few years back, a man grabbed me and kissed me then ran off, that was scary. Rebecca and Lady Day, I'm so sorry you ladies had to go through such terrible experiences.

Oh my goodness! That's truly horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

I'm 19 but I could easily pass for younger, so when I'm dressed vintage, especially when wearing stockings, I get a lot of unwanted attention from much, much older men. I definitely appreciate the femininity and cheeky sexiness of stockings and vintage undergarments, but there are so many jerks that just have to cross the line when it comes to "appreciating" a well-dressed woman. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Elaina

One Too Many
I actually make my own garter belts, one of the easiest is from Kwik Sew, I can get the pattern number if anyone is interested.

I'm sorry you guys had a problem, I think we all do. I got it the other day with my son, I kneeled down (ladies are supposed to right?) and this guy angeld behind me to look down my shirt.

My son has a good eye, and quick foot. A well placed foot to a personal area and he backed off.

Elaina

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Elaina said:
I actually make my own garter belts, one of the easiest is from Kwik Sew, I can get the pattern number if anyone is interested.

I'm sorry you guys had a problem, I think we all do. I got it the other day with my son, I kneeled down (ladies are supposed to right?) and this guy angeld behind me to look down my shirt.

My son has a good eye, and quick foot. A well placed foot to a personal area and he backed off.

Elaina

You got a great kid there! :)
Id LOVE the pattern number! Thanks,

LD

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
Modern fashion is so unisex that I'm not surprised that even a hint of stocking seam -- something so feminine -- gets a lot of attention.

It's too bad that those creeps made you gals feel uncomfortable, and they probably got an extra thrill knowing that. How about turning it back on them? Anyone got a good one-liner to shoot at the offender for this situation?

don't bother, any one-liner is just going to let them know they have been noticed watching you. it is like an internet troll, ignore them and they will go away. wear what you want, what makes you feel pretty and forget about the pervs out there.

rsg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
It is upsetting to read these rough encounters with as Rebecca noted, "tailess apes"! But we retro ladies--actually all ladies--have the right to walk around wearing whatever makes us feel comfortable without leering.

Stockings are not only great to wear--and I will continue to wear them--I like the cheapness of them since if you get a run in one, you can still use the other one!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
*snip* Secondly, I got leered at today ("how you doing, baby?") by four men in a truck when I was walking the dog in a pair of ancient and tattered blue jeans. Not exactly the height of sex appeal. I don't think you stop a determined wolf.[huh]

Very true. And I know that I don't dress or refrain from dressing (up to reasonable limits, and everyone's "reasonable limits" are different, I suppose) in certain ways to please anyone but myself. There will be different reactions (and there's a fetish for everything, yes? heh), but you gotta take it in stride.

Rude people will be rude regardless of what sets them off, you can't stop or control them. Don't feel restrained from living *your* life on *your* terms, and with *your* fabulous wardrobe. ;)

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Miss Dottie said:
Stockings are not only great to wear--and I will continue to wear them--I like the cheapness of them since if you get a run in one, you can still use the other one!

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. So where are you buying these cost-effective stockings? As it is, I'm having a REALLY hard time finding inexpensive regular nylons. It seems like the crappy ones are still going for $5 a pop.

Thanks LizzieMaine for the tip about rinsing them immediately. I usually toss them in a lingerie bag in the bathroom and rinse them out when too many accumulate. (gross...I know.) I'll start rinsing them out and letting them dry overnight, every night.

As for the fetishes...what can you do? There are websites for every haircolor, body type, age group, and clothing/accessory. You can't make those guys act like fully-evolved primates...but if it's someone at work you can sue. ;)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Inexpensive nylons

I get my "cheapie" nylons at shopnational.com. Just click on hosiery and then gartered stockings. (I get style #400 Ultra) They're 2 pair for $5.95. So that makes them about $3 a set. About the cost of regular pantyhose. They are good for every day wear.

BonnieJean said:
I get my "cheapie" nylons at shopnational.com. Just click on hosiery and then gartered stockings. (I get style #400 Ultra) They're 2 pair for $5.95. So that makes them about $3 a set. About the cost of regular pantyhose. They are good for every day wear.

That's a great price. Do these have seams? I can't find where it mentions it on the site.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nope,
These are seamless. But ever since my encounter that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I've decided that these will be a safer bet for everyday wear in public. I'll save my seamed ones for special occasions.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What was kind of funny was that last Sunday, I wore my seamed stockings to church and these two 'older' ladies came up to me totally amused that I would be wearing such a thing. According to these ladies, they don't want to see them back in style [huh] I'm becoming quite a fan myself of them...oh well, everyone's a critic :rolleyes: :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just had another couple of very curious older ladies inquiring about my hosiery at today's matinee -- usually I just get "Wow, seamed stockings! Haven't seen those in years," but today they wanted to know all about where I got them, how I keep them up, do I wear them all the time, and on and on. Kind of an uncomfortable subject to be discussing when I'm supposed to be taking tickets, so I ended up writing down the Magnolia website for them. "My husband will be tickled to death," one of them declared.

Which was more than I needed to know.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Just had another couple of very curious older ladies inquiring about my hosiery at today's matinee -- usually I just get "Wow, seamed stockings! Haven't seen those in years," but today they wanted to know all about where I got them, how I keep them up, do I wear them all the time, and on and on. Kind of an uncomfortable subject to be discussing when I'm supposed to be taking tickets, so I ended up writing down the Magnolia website for them. "My husband will be tickled to death," one of them declared.

Which was more than I needed to know.
At least it was a somewhat cute experience!! Little Old ladies can be so cute and sweet, but apparantly these had a devilish streak!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
skinnychik said:
Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. So where are you buying these cost-effective stockings? As it is, I'm having a REALLY hard time finding inexpensive regular nylons. It seems like the crappy ones are still going for $5 a pop.
QUOTE]

Actually that is about what I pay for my seamed one and more at times. It kills me to spend that on a pair of pantyhose and then just have to toss them away once there is any tear in the nylon. That's why I try to keep to buying one brand--much easier that way to trade out an old one.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean said:

I like the selection they have. Have you ever tried the thigh highs (non garter)? I ordered a few pairs from Hanes, this was my first time wearing stockings instead of pantyhose, and I swear, they ran almost as soon as I put them on! How many wearings do you usually get per stocking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari