Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nice girls like to wear them too!
Last week I was at a grocery store in the middle of the afternoon doing my twice a month stock-up shopping. I wore a nice vintage-inspired dress and a pair of seamed fully fashioned stockings. I even had matching shoes and a purse to compliment my outfit. Apparently, when I bent over in the cooler to pick up some milk a man (not a gentleman) was behind me waiting with his cart. He had a strange cheshire cat grin on his face. I knew he had gotten a peek of my stockings. OK, that's not so bad, but everytime I turned around it seemed this guy was there with that same weird grin on his face. I got so flustered that I kept forgetting items on my list and I had to zigzag all around the store to find them. Fortunately, it was getting busy and "Mr. Grins" checked out ahead of me. While I was bagging up my groceries I wondered if this creepy guy would be waiting out in the parking lot. But he was gone, or at least I didn't see him when I left.

The whole incident left me a little bit unsettled. I'm not flamboyant and lean more towards being conservative, but I'm not a prude either. I do enjoy being my own person and wearing what I like. When I got home I told my husband about it and he said that the guy probably was enjoying "the view" and may of been reminiscing the good old days when women wore dresses and stockings all the time. I told him he wasn't that old--older than me, but not from the Golden Era. I've decided to forego wearing my seamed FF stockings in public unchaperoned and definitely not at night. Apparently, some women who have specific "extracurricular activities" in the evening wear seamed FF stockings too. And I definitely don't want to get confused with those women. My husband thought it was funny and suggested to save seamed FF for special occasions and just wear my unseamed FF stockings for everyday wear--I'd blend in better with the pantyhose crowd.

I still love my seamed FF stockings and I've been shortening my skirts and dresses to about 2" below the knee--they look so much better on my petite 5' 4" frame (thanks ladies for that great thread about skirt length!). Now there will be more "seams" exposed on my legs if I wear my seamed stockings. I figure I would be like the K-Mart flashing blue light and attract the wrong kind of people. On a side note, I did have a lady compliement me on my dress and she just raved over my seamed stockings. Right now though, I'm not comfortable with the male attention that my seamed stockings give--unless it's my husband!:D
I just wish seamed stockings were back in vogue! If they are, they haven't reached the Midwest yet!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I understand what you mean. FF seamed stockings are probably completely "nice", but I don't think I would ever wear them to work unless my skirt was below mid-calf. Unless the stockings and seams were very close to my skin color, and even then, I would probably think twice.

I just don't want the men I work with to "notice" my legs.

--Leslie

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love my FF stockings, but I completely understand what you mean. Bottom line (no pun intended), men think they are great, I feel pretty when I wear them. When I wear mine, and I'm sitting down, I always make sure that the top part of the stocking isn't showing. It just takes a bit of work to wear them.
I dressed vintage to go see "Hollywoodland" this past Sunday. I had on a cute day dress with matching bag and shoes, and FF stockings. I was self conscious through the entire movie, because the man next to me kept looking at my legs. When I was walking away from the snack counter, I noticed him behind me staring at my legs (believe me, there's not much to stare at! I have stumps!). He ended up sitting right next to me in the theater. I guess I would have felt more uncomfortable is I was alone.
Well, I'm gonna keep wearing them for I like the way they complete the vintage look, and the way they make me feel. But, like you other ladies, I'm not sure if I'd add this touch to an outfit if I was going out alone at night. It's so sad that such a lovely touch to an outfit can have such a stigma attached to it. Sometimes, when I'm dressed vintage, I don't feel like I look vintage enough. When I add a touch like bakelite brooch and FF stockings, it makes me feel a little more vintage.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Stocking in general have a naughty condentation to them. They use to be just for function, but alas, the rememberence of them has made them nostalgic.
Still, when I wear them I feel like a lady. Even tho modern ideas my think otherwise.

Thanks Gil Elvgren! :p

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Modern fashion is so unisex that I'm not surprised that even a hint of stocking seam -- something so feminine -- gets a lot of attention.

It's too bad that those creeps made you gals feel uncomfortable, and they probably got an extra thrill knowing that. How about turning it back on them? Anyone got a good one-liner to shoot at the offender for this situation?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
You poor thing! I know exactly what you are going through, I prefer stockings because they are healthier, and well sometimes the wind comes along (or more likely I fall on my butt) and...
and I am sure that there is now a "full fashioned stocking sighting at the supermarket" thread on the Midwest lingerie pervert's site (yes these exist, I'm sure).

I am glad that you are okay. If you (or any other reader) are ever in a situation like this where you feel uncomfortable have the store make someone walk you to your car. Call security or the police if you need to. This guy is probably some harmless pervert, but there are a lot of psychos out there.

Be safe, please!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I guess I've been lucky, or it's too cold up here for the pervs, because I've yet to have any disconcerting stocking-related experiences. I wear them daily, and the only comments I get are from older ladies asking where I got them.

But that said, I agree totally with Tourbillion's advice -- no man has the right to leer or otherwise make you uncomfortable, and if you're ever in a situation where you can't shake someone with busy eyes, don't be afraid to ask the store staff for help. Most places take a real dim view of such things going on on their premises.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
I guess I've been lucky, or it's too cold up here for the pervs...

lol This made me laugh!

I haven't had any bad experiences, but I do think that men probably view them as "sexy" kind of like fishnets. I am the type of person that would whirl around and loudly say, "May I help you?" in a terse voice, but I realize that is not everyone's style. WWKHD? "What would Katherine Hepburn do?" in said situation? I think she'd have a witty and smart retort to put said perv in his place.

I agree you have to be careful you don't expose anything while wearing these. I wouldn't wear them if I were going out alone at night unless it were to a vintage event. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, stick with non-seamed.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if guys are leering because of the seamed stockings, but rather a they perceive a woman who looks sweet and feminine won't give them a hard time. Time to brush up your glare and your Betty badass walk.

By the way, there's nothing rude about not speaking to a strange man trying to pick you up or telling him to leave you alone.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
CherryRed, I totally agree with you. Men have been deprived (or not exposed to) femininity much these days. I think back in the Golden Era when these type of stockings were common, that men tended to look more at the "gams" or legs of a woman, rather than what was on them.

I just chalk my experience with "Mr. Grins" as a learning one. I've grown up and still live in small town and sometimes get a little naive in the "big" city when it comes to personal safety--even in the daytime. Yes, its sad that there are "bad guys" out there that want to harm innocent people and the best thing one can do is to be alert to one's surroundings. It used to be that a person just stayed away from the "wrong side of the tracks", but now its hard to see which side you're on.

I haven't given up on my seamed stockings, but I just never thought about the "unseamly" side of wearing them.

Thanks for all your responses.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I must admit

I wear stocking pretty much whenever I wear a skirt (hate pantyhose--ugh), but I reserve both my seamed and fishnets for date nights or occassions when I am going to vintage events. Unfortunately for many I think seamed stocks get classified as sexy, bedroom wear right along with fishnets and garters in general.

I was actually thinking the other day how when I think of 1940s dressing the words that come to mind are "demure" and "feminine", but elements like garters, seamed stocking, fishnets and even red lipstick and nails seem to have a varied effect on modern sensibilities.

And no one seems to blink at all the baremidrifts, thongs exposed, yada yada of modern dress.

I had an unfortunate encounter with a perv at the grocery store over this past summer. I turned and shouted at him in a less then lady-like tone to get away from me. He promptly left the grocery-- I think so shocked that any woman would dare sound off and being treated like some object. If he hadn't I would have gone straight to the manager.

Honey Doll

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Good for you, HoneyDoll!
I guess those pervs are everywhere! I threw away all my pantyhose, so stockings is all I'll wear. I just wish those seamed ones were more acceptable to the general public. But special occasions and vintage events will be OK with me, especially since they're a little more pricier than regular stockings. I murdered one stocking yesterday. I got a little jagged piece on the very edge of my heels and accidently brushed against my other leg. It made a nice snag which turned into a run and then that turned into a wide hole. I think I'll start carrying an extra stocking in my car for emergencies. Running around in public with a torn stocking is worse than wearing seamed ones--I got more stares (mostly from women who were probably trying to decide whether or not to tell me I had a run in my stocking.).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BonnieJean said:
Good for you, HoneyDoll!
I guess those pervs are everywhere! I threw away all my pantyhose, so stockings is all I'll wear. I just wish those seamed ones were more acceptable to the general public. But special occasions and vintage events will be OK with me, especially since they're a little more pricier than regular stockings. I murdered one stocking yesterday. I got a little jagged piece on the very edge of my heels and accidently brushed against my other leg. It made a nice snag which turned into a run and then that turned into a wide hole. I think I'll start carrying an extra stocking in my car for emergencies. Running around in public with a torn stocking is worse than wearing seamed ones--I got more stares (mostly from women who were probably trying to decide whether or not to tell me I had a run in my stocking.).

lol
Oh, I feel your pain, my friend!

The same happened to me the other day. That is why I generaly do long trouser socks, they tend to be a bit more rugged.

This is a good thread for me because I am looking to increase my wear/knowledge of seamed stockings. I want to start wearing them on a regular basis. Right now Im looking into making my first garter belt. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As for stocking in general, I have only had a couple of pairs that I have ravaged. Any ideas on how to keep them for more than two wears?

Thanks Ladies.
LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I still have yet to buy a pair, thanks to budgetary constraints (boo!) but I don't think I'll let a few looks pause me.

First of all, vintage skirts are too long to be truly flirty anyway.

Secondly, I got leered at today ("how you doing, baby?") by four men in a truck when I was walking the dog in a pair of ancient and tattered blue jeans. Not exactly the height of sex appeal. I don't think you stop a determined wolf.[huh]

As long as all they do is look I don't think I'll get too mad.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you're looking for a simple, serviceable garter belt -- not a girdle -- I recommend searching eBay for the "Adonna" brand belt that JCPenney used to sell. They were still available there into the mid-90s, when I bought my last one, but I think that whole line has been discontinued. A lot of the old stock got dumped with a re-seller who's been working thru them on eBay for a couple years now, and you might still get lucky.

It's a very nice pull-on belt that gives just a little bit of tummy control, and the garter straps are adjustable. When you could get them new they were $10 or $12 or so, and I don't imagine they're going for too much more on the 'bay.

I hear all your pain so far as murdering stockings is concerned. I fell down the stairs coming down from the balcony at the theatre a while back thanks to some slippery-soled shoes, and put both my knees thru a brand new pair of stockings. $12.95 down the proverbial drain.

Usually though I can get five or six wears out of a pair by being careful: as soon as I put them on, I put my shoes on -- never walk around the house in stocking feet -- and I've very careful to rinse them out at night. Like the old ads for Lux used to say, perspiration is acidic, and that really makes nylons wear out fast.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
lol
Oh, I feel your pain, my friend!

The same happened to me the other day. That is why I generaly do long trouser socks, they tend to be a bit more rugged.

This is a good thread for me because I am looking to increase my wear/knowledge of seamed stockings. I want to start wearing them on a regular basis. Right now Im looking into making my first garter belt. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As for stocking in general, I have only had a couple of pairs that I have ravaged. Any ideas on how to keep them for more than two wears?

Thanks Ladies.
LD

As for the garter belt. Use the heavy duty metal garter clippies. The cheapo ones will let you down every time.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Honey Doll said:
I had an unfortunate encounter with a perv at the grocery store over this past summer. I turned and shouted at him in a less then lady-like tone to get away from me. He promptly left the grocery-- I think so shocked that any woman would dare sound off and being treated like some object. If he hadn't I would have gone straight to the manager.

Honey Doll

Your tone sounds like it was perfectly lady-like--old school ladies know they don't have tolerate a cad. New-school ladies worry about hurting the feelings of men who have all the sensitivity of a freight train.

A few years ago where I dance, there was a man about 65 years old who kept trying to pick up girls. He even tried to pick up the DJ's 16-year-old sister. At that point, the DJ threw him out.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I hear all your pain so far as murdering stockings is concerned. I fell down the stairs coming down from the balcony at the theatre a while back thanks to some slippery-soled shoes, and put both my knees thru a brand new pair of stockings. $12.95 down the proverbial drain.

I'm sorry that you fell, Lizzie, and I hope you weren't hurt, but I can't help but laugh out loud when I think about people falling down. That really sounds like something I'd do!

As for the tailless apes on the street, learn self defense and use it! I was once attacked, but my kickboxing training came in handy and I either broke or bruised the guys ribs. He ended up running away, and hopefully learned to never hurt women again.

Maybe it's my red hair, or the my vintage clothing, or something, but I get comments on the street just about every day. They can be as annoying as: LUCY I'M HOME, or as vulgar as anything you can imagine. And I find it amazing that so many men "love redheads," as if I care about their preferences. I've somehow learned to handle most of them, but I've also purchased an iPod to drown out the ignorance. It's quite nice, actually.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rebecca D said:
I'm sorry that you fell, Lizzie, and I hope you weren't hurt, but I can't help but laugh out loud when I think about people falling down. That really sounds like something I'd do!

As for the tailless apes on the street, learn self defense and use it! I was once attacked, but my kickboxing training came in handy and I either broke or bruised the guys ribs. He ended up running away, and hopefully learned to never hurt women again.

Maybe it's my red hair, or the my vintage clothing, or something, but I get comments on the street just about every day. They can be as annoying as: LUCY I'M HOME, or as vulgar as anything you can imagine. And I find it amazing that so many men "love redheads," as if I care about their preferences. I've somehow learned to handle most of them, but I've also purchased an iPod to drown out the ignorance. It's quite nice, actually.

Oh, Im so sorry youve been attacked on the street! I have as well (punched right in the face, busted lip) and the guy got away. It really changes you, and I agree on the self defence thing. Lean to kick butt so you dont have to unless needed. Oh, and the 'pod is great for ignoring random blather on the street :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner