Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Gilda,
How many straps does your garter belt have? I've found that with a 6-strap garter belt (3 on each side) it keeps the seams very much in line. Just make sure you hook the back strap on first and then work your way around to the front. I also noticed that stretchy seamed stockings seem to wiggle around much more than the fully fashioned seamed ones. I've even seen 8-strap garter belts, but I thought that was getting a bit excessive, IMHO.

I hate pantyhose with a passion. And to think they thought they were liberating women when they invented it!

GILDA

I stay with the traditional two strap, one in front and back. I figure, hey, the point of garters is to show your thighs, to my husband of course:eek: . I dont want all these straps in the way hiding them. Lol!!!

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm glad my comment might have bought a bit of cheer to you boys:)

If you're looking into getting you petite wife stockings, there are quite a few places you can get actual vintage ones or reproductions. I used to only wear the vintage ones, but I recently discovered that the repros are much more comfortable. Vintage stockings don't have the lycra that the repros do, which means that the fit can be tough. The lycra also keeps them in place, and the seams straight.
Check out, if you can Magnolia Hoisery I like there's the best. I'm only 5 feet also, not 100 pounds, but still petite, and I really like the fit of there Fully fashioned stockings. I'd suggest getting her the smallest size they make.
Another option is StockingStore. This is a modern store, they don't sell vintage and I'm not even sure if they call them fully fashioned on their website, so when you visit this site I think you have to look under "seams". I've gotten stockings from them and they have great prices. I think one brand that I liked was called "Cete". They look really funny when you take them out of the package, but they have a good amount of stretch to them. Also they are one size fits all so they might be a better fit for your wife.
Sorry that I can't post the direct links to these sites, but I'm not sure if the content is approved and don't want to take any chances. But, to save you some search time, just put a www. in front of the store name and a .com at the end:D

EDIT: I just checked stocking store and they do have a fully fashioned section, but they also have a seamed section. Look in both if you can. I wouldn't worry too much about being exactly accurate, what matters is what you like:D
I hope you find some of this helpful:)
Take care and be safe
Here's to you and the rest of your buddies
:cheers1: :beer:
I am glad I read this! I bought some vintage FF seamed stockings in what I thought were my size but they ended up being so saggy around my knees when I stood up. They only seemed to fit when I sat down. I am 4'11 and 92lbs. So this is a huge help. Thank you Daisy!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
My mother was born in 1941 & wore stockings & garters as a teen, then switched to pantyhose. I asked her why did women stop wearing them, since they were prettier, and she said because garters & stockings got all twisted. I guess progress isn't always such a bad thing.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
One of my pet peeves is women who wear trainers on their way to work with their suits/non-sportswear instead of their heels. I just think it looks awful, why not just wear flat ballet pumps and then change at work - why wear these horrid huge white trainers?! Anyway today I saw a lady wearing seamed stockings and trainers! Big no no!

Nashoba

One Too Many
SarahB said:
One of my pet peeves is women who wear trainers on their way to work with their suits/non-sportswear instead of their heels. I just think it looks awful, why not just wear flat ballet pumps and then change at work - why wear these horrid huge white trainers?! Anyway today I saw a lady wearing seamed stockings and trainers! Big no no!

I have a friend of mine who works in DC who does that. Mostly because she takes the train and has to walk quite a ways to get to her offices once she's off of it. She has some medical issues though so she really needs the support that the athletic shoes give her when she's walking. She's tried walking in the heels and it just kills her and the ballet flats ended up hurting her feet too. Oh well. :) I agree it looks odd, but I understand it for those whose feet would just really hurt without wearing the shoes that give the proper support. I'm so used to walking in heels it doesn't bother me but I can see how some would need to wear the sneakers.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahB said:

To be fair if they are wearing trainers it's probably because they have to walk a fair way, and ballet pumps just aren't supportive at all. I am guilty of sometimes wearing trainers with skirts and stockings when I am walking from home (about 1.5 miles) to the station. I watched a programme about this girl being made to get fit by wlaking home from work instead of getting the bus, and she was berated for wearing ballet pumps. Wearing trainers burns more calories because you walk better with correct posture (or something) and puts less pressure on your joints when you're walking on pavements. I see a lot of those MBT trainers and I'd like some if they weren't the price of two whole pairs of Remix wedges! :eek:

I do feel horrifically frumpy and unglamorous while wearing them though. :(

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I can understand why you would wear them for medical reasons or if you had a long walking distance from work. Personally I find ballet pumps very comfortable (most of them anyway) and I always put insoles in them so that they are not so flat on the ground. The reasons why I don't like the trainer look is purely aesthetic and because I dislike them so much I don't feel comfortable wearing them at all. I even hate wearing them in the gym! lol

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Oh, wow, those are cool, Lizzie! I get shin splints easily if I don't wear shoes with support when I walk for significant distances. I really like those, thanks for the tip!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
GILDA said:
I stay with the traditional two strap, one in front and back. I figure, hey, the point of garters is to show your thighs, to my husband of course:eek: . I dont want all these straps in the way hiding them. Lol!!!

Well a 6 strap girdle is much more traditional than a 4 strap garter belt, if you're going for authenticity. They definitely keep your stockings staying put. Going for image is one thing if you're wearing a clothing article that's meant to be seen on the bedroom floor, but for those of us who wear foundation garments and stockings for an authentic vintage look, there are more practical considerations!

FF stockings (non-stretch) tend to not move around as much. I only have problems with crooked stockings if I'm wearing stretch ones. In that case, 6 garters keep them in place.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GILDA said:

Well, somehow I doubt your husband cares if your seams are perfectly straight. However, out and about, perhaps a 6-strap might be a worthwhile investment. lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
GILDA said:
because I absolutely despise full pantyhose. I think they are the most uncomfortable thing ever. So I always wear the thigh highs and garter. Those are tricky too. But I love them, they are the epitome of 40s'

I don't think you'll find much argument here about hating pantyhose - they are uncomfortable and unflattering. I personally find regular garter belts to be uncomfortable and unflattering as well - they twist, they pull down, and they produce bulge in unsightly places. A girdle, however, provides a nice foundation, and keeps everything (bulge AND stockings) in place without ever budging - and it manages to look terribly sexy at the same time.

If you want to be technical about it, a garter belt and stockings aren't the epitome of 40s.... but a girdle and fully-fashioned stockings are :)

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Sensible Shoes

LizzieMaine said:
I have a pair of Clinic walking shoes I use when I walk to work -- they're like classic nurse oxfords but brown leather instead of white, and have very solid arch support. And while they do have kind of an old-ladyish look to them, they don't give that bulbous Mickey Mouse-shoe look that modern sneakers do..

http://www.supportplus.com/product_detail.cfm?STYLE=CL480
Lizzie, your shoes are great. Because of a disability, I usually wear oxfords like the ones in my avatar. I'm not sure if they are really vintage or not, but I wear them with some forties and early fifties suits. Would fully fashioned seamed hose be appropriate with these shoes?

I also use a cane. I am trying to find some stylish canes with a vintage flair instead of my metal one.

I really enjoy wearing vintage but sometimes my forced choice of footwear and having a cane make me a little self conscious.

Leah

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think your avatar shoes are perfectly period-appropriate. Chunky-heeled leather oxfords were daily wear for millions of women during the '30s and '40s, and it's entirely appropriate to wear them with hose. There were many variations on this type of shoe, with many designs featuring ornate perforations, mesh cutouts, and even the occasional peep-toe -- and sometimes the laces would be embellished with fancy tips or narrow ribbons would be used instead of regular shoestrings to make the shoes look dressier.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Why would you ever want to wear pantyhose rather than a garter belt and stockings?

Because if I wear stockings and actually intend to move anywhere my thighs rub together. :( The best I can do is stockings and garter belt over tights (pantyhose - I cant get used to using that word)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TheKitschGoth said:
Because if I wear stockings and actually intend to move anywhere my thighs rub together. :( The best I can do is stockings and garter belt over tights (pantyhose - I cant get used to using that word)

Fair enough - I can totally relate to that, actually. There's always long-legged girdles and tap panties to solve that problem, though.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Fair enough - I can totally relate to that, actually. There's always long-legged girdles and tap panties to solve that problem, though.

Long legged girdles just aren't as pretty, and tap panties tend not to stop the rubbing :s

Mojito

One Too Many
I really have to wear supportive shoes for walking - I'm hyperflexible, and need orthotics because I run (had a huge lecture from the physio on some of my shoes of choice). A also have to watch walking in heels too much, as shortening my calf muscles isn't too good with the running. I catch a bus, and have a long walk uphill to the bus stop, then another walk at the end to my office.

I've tried wearing flats of various types into the office and some work, but most days of the week I do my legs, feet and knees a favour and wear trainers with custom made orthotics. I do agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing look!

Last week I spent most of the day wearing hunt style boots with a long dress - the boots were flat because I knew I'd be on my feet a lot of the day. That evening I changed my dress, put on seamed stockings and donned a pair of pointed toe t-bar fairly high heels that I often wear with my flapper dresses. One of my work colleagues commented that he *much* preferred that look to the equestrian boots!

Viviene

Vendor
Just a quick question to the ladies on FF white stockings

Does anyone here wear the FF white stockings? In my travels I've found some FF white stockings, some sheer and some more opaque and wondered if anyone wears the white ones. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters