Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil pull Aero hides

Chris217

New in Town
Damn that jacket looks good, your right Paddy that jacket LOOKS JUST LIKE A ORIGINAL! And you can get the oil pull in a jerky hide?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Fine looking jacket that oil pull...

I actually wanted to get my jacket in oil pull but was told that they didn't do it in seal brown so I opted for the 'regular' jerky hide. I think that the oil pull looks great. If I buy another Aero in the future I will likely go 'oil pull'.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Sefton I have a couple of friends that have Aeros jerky seal and thats some mighty fine horse hide. I've seen the oil pulled stuff also and its real nice. For me it would be some thin russet jerky on a 40 contract rust knits and mustard lining with an NOS triple stamped Talon.

jake431

Practically Family
airfrogusmc said:
Sefton I have a couple of friends that have Aeros jerky seal and thats some mighty fine horse hide. I've seen the oil pulled stuff also and its real nice. For me it would be some thin russet jerky on a 40 contract rust knits and mustard lining with an NOS triple stamped Talon.

Gettin' closer to pulling that trigger every day, aren't you?

shamus

Suspended
I'm really glad I bought my jackets when I did. The dollar to Pound ratio is aweful now. I think my A2 was about 400.00 and now it's like 600.00!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
If I had a grand to spend on an A-2 I think I would look for an original. I paid $600 for my repro. and have no regrets. It's money well spent. However, I think that $600 is the limit for me as far as reproduction goes.

I haven't seen one in person so I can't say with experience,but I do wonder what there is about ,let's say, an Eastman or a Real McCoy that makes it worth the extra $400. Is the leather that different or is there some important details that aren't being met by the A-2s at half the price? I'm not putting their products down or critisizing those who own them. They look like excellent jackets.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Sefton wearable originals in my size can be $5000 and up. I like McCoys. Their horsehide is second to none. The stuff on my Dubow is just incredible plus Paddy's (RMNZ) got my sizing cold. I just e-mail her and when the jacket arrives its a perfect fit right outta the box. I must say though I do have my eye on an Aero.

simmo

Familiar Face
Nice looking jacket Shamus.I've got a real deal seal with rust knits on order with Aero.Hoping it will be here within the next week or so.Was a bit concerned i might find the rust knits a bit bright but they do go nice with the jacket when its broken in and lightened a bit judging from your pics.

shamus

Suspended
simmo said:
Nice looking jacket Shamus.I've got a real deal seal with rust knits on order with Aero.Hoping it will be here within the next week or so.Was a bit concerned i might find the rust knits a bit bright but they do go nice with the jacket when its broken in and lightened a bit judging from your pics.

Good to hear simmo...

When I got my first Aero, I got the rust cuffs because Ken talked me into it. I'm glad he did.

Post a pic when it comes in. There's nothing like getting that box from Aero. And you unzip it for the first time! And the smell...

hmmmm, Maybe I should order something too....

JWG

Familiar Face
For whatever it's worth, I have the seal/rust combo and they are aside from being accurate for an Aero very nice. They are actually a dull brick red. You'll like them.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Simmo yeah to quote Tom Petty "the waiting is the hardest part". But theres nothing like opening a box with a brand spank'n new flight jacket in it. And then trying it on for the first time. Good luck and I hope the wait isn't to long.

simmo

Familiar Face
Well my Aero 'real deal' seal arrived after 4 weeks. Heres a pic :
Picture0012.jpg

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
After waiting several months (do to an apparently unheard of shortage of horse hides) I received my Aero A-2 last thursday.

From Aero's website. The last line may explain the shortage. I guess lately our horses are healthy as, well - horses.

To ensure comfort, strength and durability in the harshest of conditions, Aero Leather Jackets are constructed from only the highest quality Steerhide or Front Quarter Horsehide, chrome tanned especially for us in the States to the quality and standards of that produced in large quantities during the 30's and 40's but now, sadly, almost extinct.

Horsehide has many unique properties, it is immensely strong and durable even in the extreme conditions and, unlike other hides, horsehide is naturally waterproof.

The Front Quarter Chrome Tanned Horsehide used in the construction of Aero leather jackets was favoured by manufacturers during pre-war years after the introduction, in the 1950's, of a law prohibiting horses being slaughtered for leather, hides became a scarce commodity and therefore expensive, resulting in tanneries phasing out horsehide production in favour of the more readily available hides such as steer.

US Government restrictions dictate that the slaughter of equine for hides was not permitted and as such the sourcing of hides must be from animals that have died from natural causes.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
simmo said:
Well my Aero 'real deal' seal arrived after 4 weeks. Heres a pic :
Picture0012.jpg
Congrats on the jacket simmo. It looks great. :cheers1:

My Real Deal has been worn so far in sun,wind rain and cold (we get a real mix of weather here in Northern Cal. this time of year) and is already starting to have that broken in look. At first I was worried about the name tag being so bright but it's already darkening so I'll let go natural. I'll post new pics as it goes along. Best regards, Sefton

shamus

Suspended
Looks great! Have fun wearing it. It'll break in before you know it!

How about that new leather smell?

simmo

Familiar Face
Havn't taken it off since i got it.Been wearing it at every opportunity.Trying to get rid of that new jacket shine.Agree you cant beat that new leather smell !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points