Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil-Pulled leather...

patterson

One of the Regulars
I checked on Friday, but was only given the standard Peter Botwright answer, "Soon..." It is supposed to ship from the UK this week, to arrive with their US Agent late this/early next week. He covers the import duties, etc. Then he overnights it out to me.

I too look forward to this one - haven't really felt that way about a jacket for quite a bit. That deadstock Crown is a big reason - the overall quality of the Aero and that silk lining is another. Our friend IndyDawg seemed to have really appreciated it, and I'd have to agree - I've kind of come full circle with them I suppose.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My A-2 is in oil pull horse hide, you could love it too much!

You could love this oil pull HH A-2 too much guys! Aero (in Scotland) do them in any model of A-2 you want, from a 1938 to a 1942! They are even producing a Bronco model now!
Or, if you want earlier vintage flight jackets, they do a lovely A-1.

BTW, the leather is NOT oily! but the tanning process traps the natural oils in the leather, then it is sprayed with a top coat colour (like a seal colour). Over time the undercoat comes through, giving it a lovely worn in vintage look.

You will find, that this leather, goes vintage in look a lot faster than other leathers. Plus it has a very sturdy feel to it. This also looks great in a Barnstormer jacket! just call yourself Waldo Pepper!

Worth checking it out, I have no regrets on mine!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now compare this with RMNZ's McQueen A-2..!

Friend of mine has the Real McQueen A-2 from Real McCoy's in NZ. Based in the RoughWear 27752 A-2 that Capt Virgil Hilts wore in THE GREAT ESCAPE. Not sure if they use an oil pull HH, but looks similar to the Aero. Both look damn good, and my pal swears by his (and has that worn-in look already!).
Make your own mind up guys, and enjoy!!

amigoescondido

New in Town
Message for Patterson: Your oil pulled A2

Have you received your oil pulled jacket yet? I would love to see pictures of it and hear your evaluation.
Amigoescondido

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Go with the oil pull on your A2..!

Amigo, in addition to the earlier pics in this thread of the oil pull, a few more...

Hopefully it gives you an idea of the leather. To be honest, the jacket is even MORE beat up than this now, as these pics were taken last winter! You might think of the option of the dark red silk lining, a name tag on the breast, an AAF patch on the sleeve, rank markings on the shoulders, sqn patch on the breast (and if you ask them nicely, they will age them all for you too! oh, and the piece de resistance...a vintage Aerial Bomb tag as a zip pull!! all options to think about :) Enjoy.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just a full pic of the Aero 1942 A2...

Gives you an idea of what 12 months wear will do to it, if you like to wear your jackets HARD! Its now got black grease marks, petrol stains..etc on it, but looks all the better (IMHO) for it. It is a work horse after all..!

amigoescondido

New in Town
Many Thanks

Paddy, thanks for sharing the pictures. It is the best looking, hard worn, wrinkle edged, whooped tired and still ready to fight repro A-2 I have seen . . . bar none. Did it start out a seal brown?
Amigoescondido

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Patterson...where's the oil pull pix?

We're still waiting for those great pics of your new oil pull that should be well broken in by now!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Mike...I originally resurrected them a few years back.

After much research and liaising with industrial tag companies and even a vet AAF crewman who took the tags off the bombs, I eventually commissioned a batch to be made.
They've all gone now (proved very popular as zipper pulls).
But I believe that Aero Leather have now made a 'lighter weight' copy of the one I originally produced.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran