Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil-Pulled leather...

patterson

One of the Regulars
Just a head?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s up ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú I have a new Aero Leather A2 coming in the next week or so. It will be one of their 40-3785-P patterns that were quite rare and were made in their Beacon, NY facility. The pattern itself is interesting enough, but I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve asked for a few added goodies:

1. A genuine dead-stock Crown zip with chevron teeth.
2. Spun silk lining
3. Oil-pulled horsehide.

Now, what is interesting about the leather? Well, way back in the early pre-Indy Fan days there was this legend about the original Leather Concessionaires jackets. Michaelson can clarify ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú and tell me if I am completely butchering the story ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú but it was originally put forward that the Raider?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s jackets were made from ?¢‚Ǩ?ìoily cow?¢‚Ǩ? or oil-pulled cowhide. I have never knowingly seen oil-pulled leather before last week, but I have to say it fits the bill for a rugged period piece from the 1930-40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s period. It starts dark ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú very much seal brown ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú and aged easily and very distinctively.

Maybe this belongs on COW, but I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve been stalked via email by some of the remaining denizens over there (grin) and have no desire to debate stitch counts with Junior. Anyway, I hope to have something to share with the class over some cold ones at BA some night in the next few weeks. Also, I have a c-note set aside for a certain black bird.

Regards,

Patterson, aka ?¢‚Ǩ?ìstranger?¢‚Ǩ¬¶?¢‚Ǩ?

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Wow, look who finally poked his head up! Nice to see you around here Patterson. Your new jacket sounds very intriquing. I'm looking forwar to seeing it.
BTW, I still have your WPG crusher cap to return to you so don't disappear agiain.
PBG

patterson

One of the Regulars
Hey PBG! Yep, work seems to be driving out a lot of the hobbies these days. Then I roll back in only to find out about Fritz... very nice man...

But, I am looking forward to tilting a few with the boys at the pub. I'm off one rollercoaster here at work, and will be heading to AZ on Thursday for some much needed R&R and to see a college buddy FINALLY tie the knot. I'd sure like to schedule something late next week or the following week.

Regards,

Patterson

Sergei

Gone Home
Hey Patterson, you just missed a session at Buchanon's last Friday.

Interesting that Junior posted something at COW that I couldn't decipher. He received some samples from FS that were real similar to the "oil-based" HH samples from Aero. It was in the context of FS's new historical A2, Mark 31 jacket. Anyway, there is a crew of us going to FS tomorrow to check things out. I wonder if the "oil-based" sample and "oil pulled" cowhide you are talking about is similar?

Take Care...
-Sergei

Michaelson

One Too Many
Howdy stranger! An yes, the infamous 'oily cow' mystery. You told the story correctly, and I will be VERY interested in hearing about your new jacket myself! Be sure to post something, as I won't be there to toss down those 'cold ones' you mentioned above. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
You're just going to have to 'bulk down' for the next get together, though. How do you expect me to sneak off with one of your A-2's when you wear a size 48, and me a 42? It's hard enough as it is to go unnoticed when swiping stuff without that being the problem! (grins) Regards. Michaelson

patterson

One of the Regulars
Well, there are a LOT of reasons I need to be bulking down - but that is a new one! :eek:

I saw your PM over on COW - thanks for the friendly wave. I suppose I'll take a gander at the topics this afternoon to see what the hot topics are. I have to say I'm feeling like a fish out of water - actually having some quite time to spend out here. All that's missing is a glass or bourbon...

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Hey, Patterson, what's your current tally on military jackets? Over at COW about a year or so ago, you seemed to be buying them left and right; what have you finally ended up with?

Will this be your first Aero? I haven't heard much about their jackets; what can you tell us about them? One of these days I want to get one of their B-10 jackets, so I'm curious to see what you think.

patterson

One of the Regulars
Well, I accumulate them and then decide what I really want. Then I'll gradually sell the excess off - or make a few nice Christmas / Birthday presents out of them.

Right now I'm down to just a few - a FS russet horsehide w/OD thread, and a Real McCoy's Werber pattern A2. I also have 2 navy jackets - an Eastman 55J14 G1 and a Real McCoy's M422a. Of course I also have my FS Expo in seal veg goatskin. This would be my 4th Aero A2. I had an Anniversary pattern in seal horse w/silk lining and triple marked Talon, a 23rd FG (fyling tigers) russet horsehide w/ silk and triple marked talon, a 38-1711 pattern in seal HH - and now the '40 Beacon NY pattern coming in the next week or so. This new one is exciting in that the dead-stock Crown w/chevron teeth is quite a rare zip and highly desirable.

My acquisition efforts have been focused elsewhere over the last several months - I've been working on my car. MK would laugh - I'm doing the same thing here, i.e. buying a vew versions of the same component and deciding which one I like the best. I am now on my third exhaust system, and will be installing the final few components of it in the next few weeks. I have a VERY patient wife!

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Thanks for the update. That's still a lot of jackets you've got! I think this final FS A-2 that I'll be getting this week will be my last leather jacket. With two A-2s, a G-1, and an Expedition, I don't see the need for any more. Plus, I don't get to wear them as much as I would like (Huntington Beach just ain't cold enough). I could see perhaps getting a contract-specific jacket from one of the other manufacturers down the road, like you've done, but for right now, the cachet of having one isn't a strong enough reason yet.

As for focusing your attention on the car, I can understand that! I got a new 'vette this year, and tweaking it to what I wanted took a lot of focus. So what are you driving?

Michaelson

One Too Many
Oh, come now Patterson! Nothing equals the thrill of my 95 hp flathead six, with it's occasional backfire when grunting up hills! Who NEEDS horsepower when you have 1950 Plymouth 'style'? (grins) Well, sounded good when I first said it.:( ;) Regards. Michaelson

patterson

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Michaelson
Oh, come now Patterson! Nothing equals the thrill of my 195 hp flathead six, with it's occasional backfire when grunting up hills! Who NEEDS horsepower when you have 1950 Plymouth 'style'? (grins) Well, sounded good when I first said it.:( ;) Regards. Michaelson

LOL! 195 ponies from 1950 ain't nothing to spit at! While I may be sporting a few more, I've become attached to the lines on this particular vintage Mustang. She has enough "retro" to remind one of the '68 that McQueen used to spank a Charger with in Bullitt.

I have to say, though - there is a 1969 fastback sitting in the garage next to our house that I might have to make an offer on!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Bullet's muscle car is the only Mustang that I have ever lusted after. Period. Hope you make the offer to your neighbor. Only problem I have with them is the roofline is to low, and I can't wear a fedora in there. Hummm. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
So powerful it won't register, eh? ;) Regards. Michaelson
p.s. by the way, any word on your oil pulled jacket yet? Are you planning on 'dumping' any A-2's anytime soon. I have a friend who would REALLY like one for Christmas.:rolleyes: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran