Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

HatsEnough

Banned
I forgot to add my 1860s era topper to this "oldest hat" thread. So, here ya go...

scaled.php

1860s era stove pipe top hat.

scaled.php

Compared to a late 1800s or early 1900s era topper... stovepipe on the right.

scaled.php

Maker's mark in the crown.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Whoa, Hats Enough! Love those old toppers.

I just posted this exact message in "New Hats," and it has been suggested to include it here. This is my oldest hat:

I'm stoked about this baby from the bay! It's in pristine condition, save for a smudge or two on the liner, and though it's labeled as a 7 1/4, it seems to have been made exactly for my 7 1/8 long oval head-- sometime around 1923-1934 (the original box included from Southcomb Hats, Baltimore, had an eight cent Grant stamp as postage), making this the oldest in my collection as well.
I particularly enjoy the tassel attached to the sweatband's bow.
kaufmannderby0202.jpg

kaufmannderby0172.jpg

kaufmannderby01322.jpg

kaufmannderby0142.jpg

kaufmannderby0152.jpg

kaufmannderby0212.jpg

jaco

Suspended
Hi all dear lungers.

You cannot know how this tread greatly emotioned me.
I'm Italian so I have a different mind whit respect to American people can consider old or vintage so I apologize if I'll do a little OT.

My wife and I live in a 91 year old house and have collected antiques for 27 years, we love all the old stuff.

fedoralover...my parent's house is more than twice the age of your: my great-great-grandfather built it in the 1820 after retiring from his work as minerary engineer...Do you imagine how many really old things were collected during four generations of people living it...people that did many travels around the world (for example I have an original japanese satsuma teapot that my great-grandfather brought from Japan in the second half of 19th century...).
Reading "old" near "91 years" make me laught (without any lack of respect, that's clear). Is a matter of fact that New and Old world have such kind of differencies in point of view: from mine "old" means at least 2 centuries.
Now, returning IT: the real reason taht make me cry is the memory of something that my grandma told me when I was a kid (and the relate old photo album).
Her father and her granpa (as any gentlemen during that timeframe) were fond of hats and have many kind of bowler, top hat, homburg and dress hat, and since they travel a lot (inside Europe and in the far east) they collected a huge quantity of them.
What a lucky guy (you think): wrong! my great-grandmother didn't give the right value to all this "ancient" beauties so during her life (after his Husband died) she give away the major part of this hats or she, simply, destroyed them ("All these old awful felts are uneuseful", she was used to say).
Some years ago in a very old and big blanket, during a rearrangement, I found some hats and I was one of the saddest guy in the world: some very old Barbisios, Borsalinos, Lock&Cos and other unknown hats all ruined by moths and by humid conditions in which they were stored for such a long time (even a specilised restore hat factory in Milan cannot do anything to restore).
Consider that this was a small part of the whole collection...and are something like 30 hats....
By the way...regards.

Beautiful bowler. 80-year-old hats hold up better than 80-year-old humans, and tassels look better on the former, too.

Quote.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What's the oldest hat you wear?

Out of all your hats, what's the oldest hat you actively wear? And how did you determine it's age (that's something I want to learn about hats in general--how to place a date on them...)

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I have 4 fur felt hats a modest collection for a Lounger. All of them have been dated by fellow Loungers as being from the 1950's. One was a homburg until last week, I converted it to a fedora. Pics are in the Conversion Corral thread. I have a Borsalino milan of unknown vintage. All of my hats get warn. I also have a modern flat cap made by http://www.mizenhead.com/ that I wear to work everyday. My job is too filthy to wear a vintage fedora to.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I've got a couple more real old ones in the last couple of months.

1890's Howard (Freeman Bros.) Derby

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05834.jpg

DSC05822.jpg

1897HowardHats.jpg

1890's Star Straw Boater

DSC06299.jpg

DSC06297.jpg

DSC06295.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Groovy bowler, Josh. Does it fit you?

It fits pretty snug, but then again people used to wear their hats higher on their heads in those days, so If I wear it like it "should" be worn, then yes it fits. This one is for display purposes though. It would be a shame if I lost the sweatband to sweat damage.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My oldest hat is from the '50s. Its a Royal Stetson with a 2 1/2" bound brim. Definite difference in feel from modern mass-produced hats from even ten years later, at least the ones I have.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Until recently my Zephyr Weight Stetson from late 30s/early 40s was my oldest hat

D328156-L.jpg

D328162-L.jpg

It is a joy to wear and I wear it often.

I've since acquired another Stetson a couple of decades older - no pics yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points