Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Rodgers Peet Montecristi
R0016246.jpg

ibchipster

New in Town
My Dobbs Boater from the first quarter of the last century. From Ferron's Society Brand Clothes in Appleton Wisconsin.

20130115_232208-1.jpg

20130115_232240-1.jpg

Last edited:

HatsWV

New in Town
The oldest hat I own is a kangol "dazzle" herringbone 504.

While ive only had it for about five years the fact that it still gets plenty of wear now that I only buy handmade to order hats is a testament to how nice it is.

John Galt

Vendor
I posted this Higson & Collings bowler in another thread. It is firmly dated 1894/5 (some conflicting reports) to no later than early February of 1900, when the company was clearly defunct.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370366541.941464.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370366572.744551.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370366608.661364.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had my Dad's '50's Penny's 'Marathon' around since I was a kid. I officially took possession in 1966. But, my oldest hat of my own in my felt Indy...I think it's a Dorfman, but the lining came out years ago. I bought in 1983 and still wear it regularly. I have a couple of 1940's Borsalinos that I bought second-hand, so I don't count those as "my" oldest hats. Here's a couple of pics. -dixon cannon

DadsHat1.jpg
and
6eb2ba7b.jpg

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
A question that has maybe not been asked here yet? What is your oldest hat?

What is your oldest hat in your collection and what is it's history? Mine is just a common garden variety Stetson Open Road from the 1950s I think. But surely some of you have some downright historic toppers with a story perhaps?

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
My oldest hat is this Disney Fifteen; it's pre-Mr. Disney, a label change that occured in 1943, if I understand correctly.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I somewhat recently came upon a 40's Stetson "Supper Club" Homburg which is with Mr. Jesse at Black Sheep Hatworks for a renovation. He tells me it's a mercury processed felt as well.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

tommyK

One Too Many
I stand corrected! Serves me right for chiming in.

I read the New Jersey report on the hazards of the hatting industry (from about 100 years ago) and they seemed more concerned about dust than the nitrate-mercury solution used to prep the fur for felting. I believe it raised the scales on the fur/hair shaft to make it "felt" better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo