Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned guys

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have a few friends who aren't on here, don't wear suits and fedoras, but yet they open doors for a lady, they are there when you need them, polite and honest, sincere and forgiving, and have a lot of humor.

I've seen and met many who are also traditional as far as mannerisms go. I've seen them on the bus and trains, in cars, walking and talking, there are a lot more than you think.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by PA Dancer
Opening a door. Have you ever had a woman just sit or stand there waiting for you to open the door?

Yes I have. :)

She's my eleven year old daughter. I do it so she expects it. I'm glad she does. Keeps me on my toes. :D

BTW, my soon-to-be eighty-five year old Mom expects it to. She really keeps me on my toes. :D

Miss Brill

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Seems to me he's acting for his friends but showing you his true self. [huh]

Lee

Yea, that is what I think when he does it. I can count the times men haven't held my door on one hand & have a couple fingers left over, so it is easy to notice & remember. He isn't a guy I date, or am interested in, even if he wasn't married, but I still expect to be treated well by him. :)

KL15

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
Could someone tell me why a man I know will let the door slam in my face, unless other men are around & then he holds it for me? [huh]

Mam, this is easy. The man you know doesn't want the rest of the world to see him as a jerk. If many see him not being gentlemanly, they will tell everyone they know. Imparatively, this will get around to some girlfriends and girl friends. That word gets around. He's not going to ruin himself. If you, not that your word is bad, say he did this then what? All they can do is go to him and ask if he did this. All he has to say is "no" and there is nothing more that can be done. I agree with the earlier post, he's acting so long as it's to his benifit.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I wanted to chime in - one of my most favorite moments in dating is when a fellow helped me into my coat and lightly moved my hair from beneath the collar. I hate to admit that this gentlemanly act was so darn sexy at the same time.
We notice. It may seem like we do not - but we notice these small things. Of course we will say thank you at an opened door, but the hand on the small of the back, walking on the street side, and pulling out our chairs makes us giddy inside. Or at least it makes me giddy inside!
It unfortunately seems few and far between to find a fellow with wonderful manners, however I suspect we are preaching to the choir here.;)

ShortClara

One Too Many
My hubby made my day first thing this morning. I had rather a rough, sleepless night last night, and he knew. This morning I was not getting up like a good girl, so he brought in a cup of coffee and set it down, then coaxed me out of bed with hugs so I could get my day started. Instead of thinking about how tired I was, I spent the whole morning thinking about him :)

Midwestern boys know how to take care of a lady!

Nashoba

One Too Many
I had a rather annoying thing happen about a couple of weeks ago that reminded me of this thread. I had just pulled up to my husband's unit and was dragging my stuff in to my office (as I've said before, I work for the unit as a full time volunteer..*sigh*). We share the building with another unit and there were 4 of their Marines standing out front BS'ing with each other. My arms were clearly full, and while I wasn't quite struggling, I was a bit burdened as I approached the door. Not a single one of them even so much as moved towards it to open it or offered me any assistance. These guys do know me, my office is up front where theirs are and I'm there alot. One of our Marines (who was INSIDE the building) happened to walk down the hall and saw me approaching. He quickly jogged down the hallway opened the door from the inside, came out to greet me and took some of the things I was carrying, held open the door, and brought them to my office for me. The other 4 never even budged. I was thouroughly annoyed. It would have been a simple gesture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24