Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old-fashioned May Day / Beltane

Shimmy Sally

How many of you used to make May baskets when you were little? I grew up in the MidWest USA where we would make little cone baskets out of construction paper and doilies, fill them with flowers from our garden, hang them on the door knobs of elderly neighbors or friends, then ding-dong ditch.
When I mention baskets, maypole, bonfire type stuff now, nobody here in the desert seems to know what I'm talking about. So is it something that just isn't dome anymore, or a regional thing? I know they still do it back in my home town. Maybe it's just a bit too thoughtful for this day and age?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh yeah! I remember doing that when I was a kid, growing up in Oregon. I loved doing it, and I have to admit that I wished this morning there was a pretty little May Day basket waiting for me at my front door. My mom and her sisters grew up doing that back in the 50s; they actually made the baskets in school.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I think its actually where your folks grew up. My moms formative years were split between Michigain and Cali. and when we were younger we did May baskets for the house. Hmm. Maybe thats something we will do this May Day. We don't have much flowers in bloom but both houses to the sides of us do and they are vacant........hmmmmmm

Lonn

Familiar Face
May Day alive and well in Seattle

Hi,
I don't remember making May baskets but every year I attend a real May Day Celebration. The Fremont Arts Council in Seattle does it right.
We have a large May Pole dance; everyone dressed in white and adorned with flowers. We elect a Green Man and May Queen to dance around the pole.
I remember we had some technical difficulties with the pole the first few years. come to think of it, I cannot remember a year we did not. Organizing that many people presents a challenge.
We have a Bon Fire every year. And more than one marriage has resulted as a direct consequence of these gatherings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner