Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old fashioned packages

Sharon

New in Town
I thought Moxie was renamed Coca Cola? We still have Coke in some places here in glass bottles. They did take away the Tin Bandaid Box...good thing I saved mine by accident...will be a Collectable. I buy Johnsons and Johnsons Baby Soap for the packaging mainly though the scent is real nice too. I don't think it's ever changed it's looks and is so precious. I will admit that I buy things for the packaging alone sometimes and use it as decor in my home.

Trickeration

Practically Family

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Moxie is a uniquely New England (and primarily Maine) drink. It tastes like a kind of bitter root beer. I love it myself, and whenever I drink soda up in Maine it's primarily Moxie. A fun thing to do if and when you're up that way is to take a tour of the Moxie brewery.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
You can get Moxie and Moxie Cherry Cola at The Refresher over in The Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax here in Los Angeles. I tried the Cherry Cola last week while I was buying my groceries, and it's pretty good! The bottle was cute, too.

Milk Bottles

Milkbottles.png

Here are some milk bottles that I have collected, from Half Pints to pints to Quarts. The square bottle is a later style, more efficient use of space for delivery. the round bottle is earlier. I would like to get some of the cream top bottles. Anyway, milk bottles make me happy and remind me of a wonderful childhood.

Our local LA dairy that still uses bottles is:
Broguiere's Dairy 505 S. Maple Ave. MONTEBELLO, CA 323/726-0524
Fourth-generation family owned dairy (since 1920) on the outskirts of L.A.; pasteurizes, homogenizes, and bottles 20,000 gallons of milk each month. Chocolate milk is hand stirred and made with chocolate syrup and a little cream. "You pay for a Cadillac, you get a Cadillac," says Ray Broguiere.

You can find them in Bristol Farms and some Stator Brothers. The Chocolate milk is absolutely fabulous!

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
matei said:
I think getting a parcel wrapped in twine and heavy brown paper is the coolest thing. Sadly enough I don't often have the opportunity to send them!

I got a package from Russia (a very heavy 16mm movie camera) wrapped in muslin and sealed with red wax postal seals. I thought that was the coolest thing.

K by the bay

Familiar Face
My uncle told me about how his grandmother used to send packages to her relatives who were still in East Germany after WW2. She would smuggle things like cigarettes and steel and flint inside the smaller storebought boxes within the main package. To wrap the main package she used many layers of fabric sewn together to make a covering. When the relatives received the package they wouldn't cut the thread but carefully unravelled the whole thing and used it and the fabric to make clothing.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
IndianaGuybrush said:
Moxie is a uniquely New England (and primarily Maine) drink. It tastes like a kind of bitter root beer. I love it myself, and whenever I drink soda up in Maine it's primarily Moxie. A fun thing to do if and when you're up that way is to take a tour of the Moxie brewery.

I live about 15 miles from Union, the town where the inventor of Moxie was born -- and it's home to the world-famous Moxie Museum, a little building on the Union Fairgrounds, where they have every kind of Moxiemobilia you can think of. Free samples of the drink itself, too!

We sell it at the concession stand in the theatre where I work, and it's *very* interesting to watch the reactions from people who've never had it before....

Brooksie

One Too Many
Bag Balm has been around since 1899 (of course this is pre-golden era) they are still using the original formula and I believe that the green tin with the red roses is the original packaging also, so it would be considered old fashioned packaging. I was over at Fred Meyers yestarday and they had two different sizes and the tiny size one was really cute and I almost bought it just because I liked how it looked but I decided not because I do not use it and it would just go to waste.

Brooksie

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
Bag Balm has been around since 1899 (of course this is pre-golden era) they are still using the original formula and I believe that the green tin with the red roses is the original packaging also, so it would be considered old fashioned packaging. I was over at Fred Meyers yestarday and they had two different sizes and the tiny size one was really cute and I almost bought it just because I liked how it looked but I decided not because I do not use it and it would just go to waste.

Brooksie

I know I'm :eek:fftopic: , but.... Bag Balm seriously is the cure all for everything.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Gum & Candy: Beeman's, Black Jack, and Clove are all still old-style packaging. Central Market and World Market/Cost Plus sell both of those around here. Necco wafers are another good one, as are Choward's Violet mints. If you have Cracker Barrel restaurants around, check those as they always sell a lot of old products.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/index.html

Central Market used to sell Moxie, but I haven't seen it in a while. I really like Stewart's sodas. 1924 brand and still in nice, old-style glass bottles. The awesome flavor selection doesn't hurt either. I believe it is primarily a southern product.

http://www.drinkstewarts.com/index.html

Underwood deviled ham in the little can with the white paper wrapper with the red devil on the label is an old product (I believe even pre-golden era) that still uses practically the same label.

I'm a big fan of golden era beers. Miller High Life beer in bottles is pretty close to the same, they still use the "girl in the moon" label from the 1930s. Other old beer brands that still retain their old style logos are Pabst Blue Ribbon (we also find this in bottles), Schlitz, Schaefer, Hamm's, and Olympia. I've drank nearly every one of those and quite honestly, they aren't bad at all - equivalent to a Budweiser or Coors. Schlitz was *extremely* popular during WWII, and in several books I've read accounts of GIs and Airborne troops drinking it. Pearl is an old brand also, but take my advice and avoid it! I have seen some "golden era" whiskeys and liquors about - such as Vat 69 and Four Roses, but I haven't been brave enough to try them yet.

Of course Coty Airspun powder. A lot of Watkins products have nice vintage-type packaging as well.

I've got some PDF files of homefront type 1940s items if anyone is interested. I've got some stationery & envelopes, and some fruit cans, maybe a beer or vodka label, not sure what else.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I'm putting in an order with Realsoda.com. They carry about 1400 different types of glass bottled soft drinks, many of which are very old timey and many which use cane sugar rather than the syrups todays sodas have. They ship any quantity and combination (so you can mix & match) and they ship all over the US and Canada.

I had some Boylen's Birch Beer last weekend, and Ms. Parriss had their Root Beer. Quite good! It has a very old fashioned label, but I don't know the history of the line.

I plan to order some Moxie to see what the hubbub is all about.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Sable said:
I'm putting in an order with Realsoda.com. They carry about 1400 different types of glass bottled soft drinks, many of which are very old timey and many which use cane sugar rather than the syrups todays sodas have.

Now, speaking of cane sugar, how could I forget Dublin Dr. Pepper? It is made and sold relatively locally, we always pick stop at the bottling plant when passing through Dublin.

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

epr25

Practically Family
My boyfriend just recieved the PF Flyers he had ordered and the shoe box looks like it hasn't been changed. I couldn't find any photos of thier old boxes but I think they still are pretty original.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kaela said:
I clicked on this thread thinking you were mentioning mailing packages. I wanted to send something out in brown paper and twine, but the USPS no longer accepts twine as legitimate packaging! *scoff*

I work for another shipping company (the "other" one), and I am pretty sure the reasoning behind no twine is that it might get caught in all of the machinery/conveyors used these days for the sorting process. Getting some twine stuck in a gear or belt could really slow things down!

Staggerly

New in Town
Mexican Coca-Cola still comes in the big glass bottles (I've only seen it bottled domestically in much smaller bottles lately). And while I'm not sure, the Jarritos bottle looks unchanged.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I get Coke and Sprite in bottles here at the local burger joint (Mary's Hamburgers). Pretty neat for Taiwan. I hear in Japan they do a lot of vintage-esque packaging. I just bought a reproduction WWII black crackle Zippo that came in replica brown cardboard (probably due to rationing).
Stewart's cream soda is the best with a big slice of NY pizza. Man I miss NY...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy