Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
2b150fea3f4adf3ce50d3dde2fc77752.jpg

19cba3b65203611f3a72ed81449bbfbe.jpg

3c82615fdc3cd7ebff467360a5e47bc1.jpg

Rob

seres

A-List Customer
....Troubles with the gazillion electric motors, relays, hydraulic pumps, etc. would cause it to not give up its convertible top on occasion once the truck "ate" it....

Same with my parents '62 Lincoln. Pull the T-handle to raise the top, and all those motors started clicking and whirling in unison. But one motor always seemed to be out of adjustment, and someone would have to "help" the trunk lid (or that little flap, or the top, or...) to get things to work in sync.

Same with my parents '62 Lincoln. Pull the T-handle to raise the top, and all those motors started clicking and whirling in unison. But one motor always seemed to be out of adjustment, and someone would have to "help" the trunk lid (or that little flap, or the top, or...) to get things to work in sync.

A friend's dad had a '70s Lincoln Towncar - it was about a block-and-a-half long (oddly, the last thing you'd want to drive "in town," but I get that wasn't what it really meant) - that, almost from the time it was new, the driver's side power window never worked right. You had to "help" it by pushing your hand flat on the glass and pressuring it up - assuming it wasn't stuck in the fully down position.

For a period of time, they had to ride with the inside door panel cover off as - and I don't remember why - that helped until they got a new motor put in. Even then, it gave them trouble the entire time they owned the car. There were other issues with that car as it was - which was common in the '70s for American cars - a lemon.

All this just emphasized my dad's view that "all that power stuff is just something else to break."

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I spent a full day in the emergency room in '16 with a kidney stone (felt like a bomb was continually exploding inside my lower back) - cost over $4000 (none of it covered by my Obamacare policy - grrr) and at no point did I have three medical professionals working on me at the same time (two, yes, never three).

Here’s hoping you are feeling much better! :)
full-service-gas-station.jpg

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
A friend's dad had a '70s Lincoln Towncar - it was about a block-and-a-half long (oddly, the last thing you'd want to drive "in town," but I get that wasn't what it really meant) - that, almost from the time it was new, the driver's side power window never worked right. You had to "help" it by pushing your hand flat on the glass and pressuring it up - assuming it wasn't stuck in the fully down position.

For a period of time, they had to ride with the inside door panel cover off as - and I don't remember why - that helped until they got a new motor put in. Even then, it gave them trouble the entire time they owned the car. There were other issues with that car as it was - which was common in the '70s for American cars - a lemon.

All this just emphasized my dad's view that "all that power stuff is just something else to break."
My uncle told a story of one of his coworkers who bought a new Mercury Marquis in that time frame. It had every available option and he was very proud of it except for a realy annoying rattle in the drivers door. It rattled while driving and when you raised and lowered the window. He took it in to find out what was wrong and they found a pint whiskey bottle tied to the window regulator. It had a note inside hat said "made you mad didn't it?"

Your father and I are in agreement on this. Give me manual/mechanical everything.

me too

My uncle told a story of one of his coworkers who bought a new Mercury Marquis in that time frame. It had every available option and he was very proud of it except for a realy annoying rattle in the drivers door. It rattled while driving and when you raised and lowered the window. He took it in to find out what was wrong and they found a pint whiskey bottle tied to the window regulator. It had a note inside hat said "made you mad didn't it?"

You jarred my memory - it had a horrible rattle form the back seat that never really got corrected. That was a terrible car, especially considering it was a very high-end one - like the fully loaded Marquis - for its day.

I spent a full day in the emergency room in '16 with a kidney stone (felt like a bomb was continually exploding inside my lower back) - cost over $4000 (none of it covered by my Obamacare policy - grrr) and at no point did I have three medical professionals working on me at the same time (two, yes, never three).
Thats irritating. Hope the stones don't return. I hear that's a mother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Post war, about 1946/1950. Female pump attendants were a common sight. In the 60's I remember that the big national oil companies and early supermarkets starting to introduce the self-service pump, it was the final nail in the coffin for independent garages. No more service with a smile:
petrol-pump-attendant.jpg

The recent snowfall ground our country to a halt, but there was a time when we just got on with it, as this photo clearly proves:
petrol pump.jpg

seres

A-List Customer
I’ve seen truck-mounted snowplows from the 1930’s, but how widespread was their use?

My Mom told me that a very heavy snowfall (somewhere around 36-inches) fell in West Virginia around Thanksgiving in 1950. Due to the lack of snow removal equipment, the local mining companies (my Mom was a coal company bookkeeper) were requested to put their bulldozers on the roads to clear snow (many roads were still gravel at the time). So apparently there was not much road department snow removal equipment.

3fingers

One Too Many
I’ve seen truck-mounted snowplows from the 1930’s, but how widespread was their use?

My Mom told me that a very heavy snowfall (somewhere around 36-inches) fell in West Virginia around Thanksgiving in 1950. Due to the lack of snow removal equipment, the local mining companies (my Mom was a coal company bookkeeper) were requested to put their bulldozers on the roads to clear snow (many roads were still gravel at the time). So apparently there was not much road department snow removal equipment.
There were plows around then, but very little that could handle a snow like that. Motor graders, bulldozers and anything else available would have been called in to help. Actually still are in rural areas in severe storms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points