1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Old gas stations

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by hatguy1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I don't have any problem with flat spots, maybe because my garage has a wooden floor instead of concrete. The wood seems to have just enough give that the tires don't flat. Also, I think bias-ply tires are less susceptible to flatting than radials.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

At this point, I've got three cars sitting in storage. Two are classics on reproduction bias plys and one is my modern daily driver with cheap radials — the car with radials hasn't been driven 100 miles in the past three years, it may have gone 50 miles in all that time. I've never had a problem with flat spots, but the classics do get driven during nice weather. It's not uncommon for them to sit 6 months without moving, though.

That said, my dad was convinced that if a car didn't get driven at least a mile or two every few weeks, the tires would develop flat spots. Maybe it was more prevalent with older technology?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Being that it has mechanical parts on
    my 235 engine.
    If I don't drive it daily, the truck will
    not start on the first try.
    I have to "coax" it! :D

Zombie_61 and William G. like this.
  4. William G.

The '57 Chevy I've got needs coaxing if it sits longer than 2 hours. No kidding, I've driven it to work and had to re-time it in the parking lot just to go to lunch. I had to adjust the timing to leave a car show that I drove to back in September, too. No idea why it's so finicky, but it is.

The '56 has a 265 engine with a 2-barrel carb, as long as the battery is charged it will crank on the first time no matter how long it's been sitting, just pump the gas once and hit the key. Just change the oil, top off the antifreeze, and make sure the Powerglide has fluid — that's all it ever needs. Crazy how different those two cars are.

Side note, I really want an early '50s Chevy with a 235 someday. I love those engines, always have.

Zombie_61 and 2jakes like this.
  5. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

You probably know that you will have
    to "tinker" more with the 235.

I also have the 265 which is great
    little engine, very reliable!

The '57 Chevy should crank after
    two hours.
    I would check it out!

Zombie_61 and William G. like this.
  6. William G.

You’re right, it should. Something is definitely out of spec. Several mechanics have looked it over and it’s still as temperamental as ever.

It’s a fairly fresh rebuild at 12k miles, though, and I know its quirks well enough to get it running again when it throws a fit. It’s a 350 and not a 283, although I have a partially rebuilt 283 that will go in the car someday.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Never had any trouble starting the Plodge. Pull the choke out when starting cold in the morning, and it usually catches in a couple of turns. It likes to warm up a little, but then, who wouldn't?

Sometimes it gets a little balky when restarting on a hot day, but I call it a flat-headed SOB, and it immediately falls right into line.

8. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

My mother insisted on mowing her own yard until she just couldn't do it anymore. Nobody else could do it properly.
    She was a fairly small woman and sometimes had trouble getting her mower to start. She would threaten it with "you hateful SOB, either start or I will throw you in the scrap pile." and it would always start right up.
    I suggested once that it was because she got mad and pulled the rope harder.
    She wouldn't hear any of that. A good cussing would do it every time.

9. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

On the '46 Chev. truck.
    After 30 days, the plugs get black.
    Been told that the carb fluid is too rich.
    I'm not a mechanic but kind have an
    idea.
    I addressed the issue with no luck.
    That's when the guy told me I need
    to use "gasoline" from the airport.
    Another guy said to use "additives"
    on an engine from the 40s.
    Other than that the engine runs
    like clock work.
    I like that I can open the hood and see
    all the things to make it run.
    Somebody adjusted so that the battery
    is now inside the hood compament.
    Originally the batt was under the
    passenger side inside the cabin. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier One Too Many

Samuel Langhorne Clemens would have agreed with her.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Have you had the valve seats hardened? Unleaded fuel will burn in an old engine, but in time the valves will burn out. It's a relatively simple job but not one for the home mechanic. Sorry I can only give you UK estimates, but over here it would cost around three hundred pounds.

Zombie_61, William G. and 2jakes like this.
  12. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

• Browning, Montana circa 1940
    • 01BD5B96-3190-4298-BDA8-1E61345C42EC.jpeg

(Need to check the valves, thanks)

13. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kramer's Wigwam was built as a gas station and café in the 1930s. There was an apartment on the second floor. It was a Conoco station and later a Standard Oil station. The business was later named the Wigwam Café. It operated until the 1960s. In 1973, the building was moved during highway expansion. In 1988, it reopened as an art gallery. Since 1998, it has housed Big Lodge Espresso.

dh66, Zombie_61, William G. and 2 others like this.
  14. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

Novelty buildings constructed to appear like an airplane were popular for service stations in the days before World War II. This aircraft structure was built circa 1929 at a Vico Motor Oil Service station, and photographed on October 1, 1929, at the corner of South and State Streets in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    13FE0053-7365-4722-8043-F8764E88E29A.jpeg

dh66, Zombie_61, 3fingers and 3 others like this.
  15. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier One Too Many

Various.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Service all night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob

dh66, Zombie_61, 3fingers and 2 others like this.
  16. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Yes, I could go for a Giant Hamburg and a root beer right now.

17. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

• I'll have a double cheese burger with bacon, no mayo only mustard, lettuce,pickles and tomato. Basket of fried onion rings and fried potatos. Chilled bottle of Coke or Dr. Pepper.
    • For desert a bowl of peach cobbler and coffee or the "homemade apple pie"!
    0CFF7B84-55AC-42E2-8689-1E033FEE6581.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    dh66, Zombie_61, 3fingers and 3 others like this.
  18. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

As far as flat spots go, it takes along time to get them. My Model A will sit for about four months before I drive her again and I don't get them. Right now her front end is torn apart to replace the spindles. Then I get to tear into her engine to replace some parts and then back on the road!

Mike

2jakes, Zombie_61, 3fingers and 3 others like this.
  19. BobHufford

BobHufford I'll Lock Up

Wasn't this from the episode of Andy Griffith where they station hired a female pump jockey?

Red's was on Rt. 66 here in Springfield. Famous for "inventing" the drive-through window. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red's_Giant_Hamburg

20. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

All Night Service
    9409EDC6-5613-489B-9E9B-CD6B4F319F42.jpeg

Self Service!
    B403461E-FF3E-4B33-9C3C-2301575BA04A.jpeg