Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Color shots.
75ff154026a856a73054cb7a5ecb95fe.jpg

Rob
That's Pier 45 at San Francisco! I had the freshest, and most flavorful crab I've ever eaten at Fisherman's Grotto. Had no idea there used to be a gas station like that there. The whole area is one big touristy event now with food, vendors, and entertainment.
ubR1tdg.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Marathon Station.jpg

This one is interesting. Looks like it might have started life as a car barn for streetcars? Also check out the hot rod or jalopy racer framed between the tow truck and the corner of the building.

I'm not an expert on petroliana, but the mix of cars plus that vending machine and the sign by the road are making me think this is the early to mid-1960s, despite the mix of cars looking very '50s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Texaco had a procedure called "Circle Service," which required the attendant to greet the customer, take their order, hook up the pump, and then proceed around the car in a circle, doing the front windshield, checking the oil, around to the back windshield, and then back to the pump. It did not, however, use four attendants.

Most companies had some variation of this. Shell's "Ground Crew Service" -- "based on Army Air Corps standards!" -- and Atlantic's "Red Ball Service" -- "if we don't check your oil and clean your windshield, weather permitting, your purchase is free" -- were the most famous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot