Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Gas Station bookcovers
FCC9F848-77BB-4EF8-9177-070699A08479.jpeg

Gas Station Memories ~ M. Witzel

A0FC0809-2B70-4AF5-AB57-02E3A16CA03E.jpeg

Pump & Circumstance. John Margolies

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Nice display of three different ways to two-tone a car's paint scheme. Anyone able to identify the car farthest to the right - I don't recognize at all?
This is another model and not the one you are asking about but the size reminds me of this one:
72714FEC-9783-45CF-8BB8-89FFB9BEEBE0.jpeg

My friend at work used to drive one. A white convertible which I
called "dino".
Huge with big fins at the rear.
One time he had it repainted the same white color.
Paid mucho bucks to have it done.
The car was nice before it was painted.

I really couldn't tell the difference and
I would ask him everytime we went for a spin to nearby towns hunting for antique
stuff..... "Hey Andy, how do you know if they just applied a good coat of wax instead of repainting it?" :D

He's a good pal to put up with my kidding all the time! :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Big cars...oh my! :(

EssexVT1965_01_3000-700x465.jpg

Essex1965_2500-700x416.jpg

I drove a used all black Buick Riviera in early seventies.
85type.jpg

Power windows failed with all the windows shut.
Summer was in the 100s everyday.
Luckily the top roof vent opening did not shut completely and I had room to stick my hand out
with a 5x7 index card to vent the wind inside towards me.
A bigger card board would’ve been better, but too embarrass to do it.
The wind hitting my perspiring body kept me cool.
Did this all summer until I had saved enough $$ to get it fixed.
This was the first and only time I ever have owned a big automobile.
Afterwards it was mostly beetles with side vent windows convertibles.
Back then, these beetles were available on almost every block.

Meet Shamu, my 1967 VW convertible.:)
IMG_3430.JPG

Last edited:

Big cars...oh my! :(

View attachment 113965
View attachment 113966
I drove a used all black Buick Riviera in early seventies.
View attachment 113967
Power windows failed with all the windows shut.
Summer was in the 100s everyday.
Luckily the top roof vent opening did not shut completely and I had room to stick my hand out
with a 5x7 index card to vent the wind inside towards me.
A bigger card board would’ve been better, but too embarrass to do it.
The wind hitting my perspiring body kept me cool.
Did this all summer until I had saved enough $$ to get it fixed.
This was the first and only time I ever have owned a big automobile.
Afterwards it was mostly beetles with side vent windows convertibles.
Back then, these buggies were available on every block, no kidding!

Meet Shamu, my 1967 VW convertible.:)
View attachment 113974
Great looking bug!

EXACT same thing happened to me in the Oldsmobile version of your Riviera (the Toronado). That car was nothing but trouble. Good riddance.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Pretty much all the porcelain-sided icebox stations were riffs off the Teague Texaco design -- the Gulf was the closest copy, right down to the three "speed lines" on the facade, and Cities Service also used a design that very closely duplicated the Teague. The Sinclair above is very close to the designs used by Esso and Socony-Vacuum during the 1950s, with only the color of the striping changing to reflect the colors of the particular company.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Pretty much all the porcelain-sided icebox stations were riffs off the Teague Texaco design -- the Gulf was the closest copy, right down to the three "speed lines" on the facade, and Cities Service also used a design that very closely duplicated the Teague. The Sinclair above is very close to the designs used by Esso and Socony-Vacuum during the 1950s, with only the color of the striping changing to reflect the colors of the particular company.

Lizzie you are amazing!

Last edited:
Fantastic information. Things I've thougt about but never put together. Thanks Lizzie!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Walter Dorwin Teague's book "Design This Day," published in 1940, is fascinating background reading for anyone interested in gas station design. While he doesn't specifically talk about the Texaco project in any great depth, there is extensive discussion of his personal design philosophy that informed the project. He had a mystic fascination with rectangles and the figure of the five-pointed star, both of which figured in the Texaco design. He was a man who had considerable influence on industrial design in the Era, and it's rather unfortunate that he's primarily remembered today as the man who revolutionized the American gas station.

There are remarkably few unmolested Teague Texacos still standing today -- those that survived the unfortunate "Mattawan" design of the late 1960s usually had their siding removed for the eye-burningly-ugly black-grey-and-red design Texaco rolled out in the early 1980s. Those that do survive are often subjected to sloppy, distasteful paint jobs that obscure their origin. There's a good example just down the street from where I live -- a two-bay Teague built in the early 1950s, and operated as a gas station until about ten years ago. Somewhere along the line the porcelain was painted over with Mobil colors, and then when it was converted to a marine-electronics shop around 2010, it acquired a coating of two-tone blue latex house paint that really uglied it up. That shop closed a few weeks ago, and the building is now slated for demolition in favor of an "office complex."

The building itself is cinder blocks, and is probably not worth dismantling, but all of the porcelain panels are intact under the paint, and they'll be headed for the scrap-metal yard soon as one more Teague bites the dust.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I'll have to see if I can find that book, Lizzie; it sounds like interesting reading.

On the subject of gas station design, are there any reference tomes that specifically detail the design and construction of those lovely pseudo-Tudor/Storybook styles, like my beloved 20s-era Pure stations?

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Walter Dorwin Teague's book "Design This Day," published in 1940, is fascinating background reading for anyone interested in gas station design. While he doesn't specifically talk about the Texaco project in any great depth, there is extensive discussion of his personal design philosophy that informed the project. He had a mystic fascination with rectangles and the figure of the five-pointed star, both of which figured in the Texaco design. He was a man who had considerable influence on industrial design in the Era, and it's rather unfortunate that he's primarily remembered today as the man who revolutionized the American gas station.

There are remarkably few unmolested Teague Texacos still standing today -- those that survived the unfortunate "Mattawan" design of the late 1960s usually had their siding removed for the eye-burningly-ugly black-grey-and-red design Texaco rolled out in the early 1980s. Those that do survive are often subjected to sloppy, distasteful paint jobs that obscure their origin. There's a good example just down the street from where I live -- a two-bay Teague built in the early 1950s, and operated as a gas station until about ten years ago. Somewhere along the line the porcelain was painted over with Mobil colors, and then when it was converted to a marine-electronics shop around 2010, it acquired a coating of two-tone blue latex house paint that really uglied it up. That shop closed a few weeks ago, and the building is now slated for demolition in favor of an "office complex."

The building itself is cinder blocks, and is probably not worth dismantling, but all of the porcelain panels are intact under the paint, and they'll be headed for the scrap-metal yard soon as one more Teague bites the dust.

I'm like a school boy...
I never will tire of praising you.
We are fortunate indeed to have you here to share with us.
Thank you Lizzie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner