Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Time Radio Shows

Txmason

Familiar Face
Are there any old time radio shows or formats for classic radio shows in the Houston, Texas market?
I know that 102.9 KLDE was like that that played 40s and 50s music. I remember listening to it with my dad on the way home from work. Sadly it is a different station now.

The only other station I know of, 88.7 KUHF that broadcasts a prairie home companion with Garrison Keillor Saturdays at 12:00 noon and rebroadcast at 12:00 noon on Sundays.

Best,
Jerry

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Sadly, OTR is almost gone from over the air broadcasting. There may be stations that run classic radio programs, but the best source is now the internet. Check out archive.org; there's lots of OTR for free. Certainly, someone somewhere has a list of radio stations that program the classic shows.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Your best bet nowadays is Radio Classics on Sirius, channel 82. Lots of old radio dramas and other shows from the golden age. This channel along is worth the cost of Sirius radio, at least to me. But they also have channels that play nothing but 30s, 40s and 50s music too. I rarely ever listen to traditional radio anymore. No need to.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
Same here! I have the satellite radio programmed to the '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s and Radio Classics channels. :) Also, Channel 71 plays '40s and '50s music too.

-Kristi

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Your best bet nowadays is Radio Classics on Sirius, channel 82. Lots of old radio dramas and other shows from the golden age. This channel along is worth the cost of Sirius radio, at least to me. But they also have channels that play nothing but 30s, 40s and 50s music too. I rarely ever listen to traditional radio anymore. No need to.

I know they have a 1940s station but I've never found a '30s one.

phantom dancer

A-List Customer
Or, if you happen to be online, click on http://www.2ser.com/on-air/streaming for the live stream of The Phantom Dancer

The Phantom Dancer goes to air at 0200 UTC Tuesday, which I'm guessing is 7pm Mon evening where you are, and 0800 UTC Saturday which might be 0000 MST Friday/Saturday. I post the play list every week. Here's the blurb and link for this week's if you're interested...

G'day Phantom Dancers,

By request on this week's Phantom Dancer, you get to enjoy once more an Alvino Rey set from a 1942 Spotlight Bands Blue Network broadcast which I played just over a year ago. In particular, the requester asked for the song 'Cash for Your Trash'

The requests email address is phantomdancer@2ser.com

Alvino Rey, born Alvin McBurney, was a bandleader and pioneer electric guitarist. He built his first amplified guitar pickup in 1923 at the age of 15, but didn't patent it. Gibson had him help design a pickup for their first electric guitar, the ES-150 in 1935

Quoting Wiki, "Starting in 1939, Rey used a carbon throat microphone to modulate his electric guitar sound. The mike, developed for military pilots, was worn by Rey's wife Luise, who stood behind a curtain and sang along with the guitar lines. The novel combination was called "Singing Guitar", and later became known as the Sonovox. Along with early Vocoders (initially called Voders), which were initially developed to scramble messages between the Pentagon and field commanders during WWII, the Sonovox innovation was one the first known talk box experiments. A Soundie film of Rey using the Sonovox is posted on YouTube and further info about Rey and the Sonovox can be found in the Dave Tomkin's book, "How To Wreak A Nice Beach" (How to Recognize Speech)"

This week, see two Phantom Dancer Videos of the Week! Both demonstrate the Sonovox. The first is a brief explanation from the Disney studios. Is the chappie asking the questions the voice of Bugs Bunny, Mel Blanc?

The second video is the Alvino Rey Sonovox clip with 'Stringy The Guitar'. All Stringy's voices are done through Alvino Rey's pedal steel.

See his week's play list and both video clips on the Phantom Dancer Blog - Greg Poppleton's Radio Lounge: http://gregpoppleton.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/alvino-rey-sonovox-stringy-the-guitar-by-request/

rgodridge

New in Town
you should try
20th century radio
the 1920s radio network
and, best for otr, goldradionetwork.net
googling any of these will bring them straight up
the 20s radio network has an old time radio station as well, it's great!

Orlando

New in Town
the old time radio Show's was very great and best and also have a message for every body in their
Show's i like to listen old time radio show because the old music was also good and also very informative and also Old is Gols...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I would imagine the 40's channel plays some 30's songs too.
My wife listens to the Radio Classics channel all day (at work and in the car).
I do enjoy hearing it when we go on trips, especially Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, X Minus 1, and Lights Out.
Others, especially the westerns, just don't click with me. I know...Gunsmoke and Six Shooter are popular but I just don't get them. :)

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face

Espee

Practically Family
Chuck Cecil's The Swingin' Years was, for about a decade I guess, carried on the Dodgers Radio Network. He could fill-in those odd-time segments before and after a game, and during rain delays. Less hassle for the local stations...
In the early 70s I was hearing him "around" Dodger games on KFI. Now I hear the replays on a station around 88 or 89 FM from Riverside, perhaps? California that is...
However it's not what many would think of as OTR-- it's mostly records, with a few (re-edited) radio band remotes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider