Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On journaling

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I’m a newcomer to this bar

I have always wanted to journal. There are thoughts, million of them, in my head on a regular basis. I just never know where and how to put them down. So I learned to channel them after more than a decade of journalism.

Yet, I would love to take up journaling. But that’s also a source of thoughts and questions. Should I use a paper notebook or should I go digital ?

Digital , combining smartphone, tablet and computer, is ubiquitous. But can it really go « private » relying on a third party web based software ? I went through all the offering and can’t decide.

Paper notebook ? Why not. But will it always be available ? What notebook should I use ?

What are your thoughts on journaling ? Is if a habit of yours ? If so, how do you do it, and why ?

Thanks for your inputs

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I don't consistently journal. Never about daily life. However I do have an "adventure" journal. I keep a notebook that I document any trips or unusual things I do. I'll add pictures as I can but otherwise I write down what I did. To supplement this I carry a rite in the rain small notebook and pen with me to write things down as I do them including directions or addresses as to where I was or am going. At the end of the day I compile those notes into a more coherent entry. I destroy my daily notes when I fill up that small notepad. When I fill the actual journal I notate the dates on the cover and add it to the bookcase.
I don't always have power so I don't rely on digital notes or journals but paper always works especially rite in the rain.

Vito2390

New in Town
Hello. I prefer the paper version. However, sometimes I forget to complete my diary at the end of the day. Although, to be honest, the writing process itself is not very easy for me. Maybe I don't have writing ability. That's why, when I was in college, I used nursing essays online service to order finished articles. This allowed me to get good grades and not waste time. The teachers didn't even know it wasn't me. After all, these services are completely anonymous.

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I began journaling when I was diagnosed with cancer.
For keeping my thoughts during this freaky time, took about a year from diagnosis to reintegration process into daily work.
For keeping all those medical details, schedules, screenings, results, chemo details, rehab….that come up such massively, almost overwhelming.
I keep journaling but not on a daily base anymore. I usually used and still use A6 and A5 paper notebooks and three Kaweco fountain pens of different colors. Two Sport models and one Liliput.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I do like using my fountain pen while filling out my master journal. Scrivener or something like that. I keep a small sealed vial of ink that I pipette from the main bottle. Smaller and less likely to break.
My master journal is a black hard backed book of lines pages. I have tissue paper sheets between the pages to act as blotter/page protection.

Vito2390

New in Town
I do like using my fountain pen while filling out my master journal. Scrivener or something like that. I keep a small sealed vial of ink that I pipette from the main bottle. Smaller and less likely to break.
My master journal is a black hard backed book of lines pages. I have tissue paper sheets between the pages to act as blotter/page protection.
Cool, this can be called a ritual and psychological therapy.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Cool, this can be called a ritual and psychological therapy.
It'd be better if I had better handwriting. But it is a bit therapeutic in that I'm able to slow down at the end of the day and reflect on what I did and the thoughts I had at the time. Usually has me scratching my head and wondering when I became such a horrible but delightful person.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
moleskin note books have always worked well for me. a bit pricey but there is a nice tactile feel to both the cover and the pages

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On a daily, professional base I journaled during those 15 years I worked as a line manager. Daily, weekly…meeting notes and all kind of process related input as well as disciplinary and other staff related notes. A6 paper notebooks with hard cover and Kaweco Liliput Transferred all staff related notes into digital form what has not at least been important for the staff’s yearly feedback round. Working as a production planner meanwhile that’s fortunately all not necessary anymore.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner