Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On this day...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
On this day, September 1....

1939 - Germany launched the Polish Campaign and attacked Poland at Wielu? and Westerplatte, starting World War II.

Europe
The war started in Europe on September 1, 1939 when Nazi-controlled Germany led by Adolf Hitler invaded Poland. Britain and France responded by declaring war on Germany. The Soviet Union, acting in cooperation with Germany, invaded Eastern Poland, attacked Finland in the Winter War, and seized the Baltic states.
Vast areas of Europe and North Africa, as well as the oceans, became battlefields. The German Blitzkrieg rapidly overwhelmed Poland in 1939, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium and France in 1940, and Yugoslavia and Greece in 1941. By summer 1941, Germany had conquered France and most of Western Europe, but it had failed to subdue Britain.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Follow along, day by day

http://www.onwar.com/chrono/1939/sep39/05sep39.htm

I wonder, did folks living in that time when the dark shadows of Fascism were spreading across the planet want to be there - or would they rather have been living in some future world, of lightning fast computers and man on the threshhold of space? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart