Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Vintage Hat Bands (PSA: Salvage Them If Ever Tossing Out a Hat!)

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I've been raving about my newfound hat here lately, and it just got better! I dated it via some internet research, and it turns out it is older than I suspected.

One thing I intend to do is swap out the current band - a braided leather one - and replace it with a proper ribbon. I have made bands before (sewn the bow from scratch using some store-bought grosgrain), but due to my hat being vintage, I think I may go with a vintage band to match, if I can find one. I currently have an old homburg with a great band, but I'd rather leave it intact, as I plan to sell it.

It is pretty difficult to find plain black ribbon in anything but 1.5" and 2". And oftentimes it is the widths in between that look really nice on fedoras.

Hopefully any hats that get thrown away due to having holes in them or being otherwise damaged have their bands salvaged!

Any tips for where to find them? Any information from sagacious fedora aficionados on how vintage ribbon was different (rayon versus cotton, pertersham versus grosgrain, or something like that?)

I've been raving about my newfound hat here lately, and it just got better! I dated it via some internet research, and it turns out it is older than I suspected.

One thing I intend to do is swap out the current band - a braided leather one - and replace it with a proper ribbon. I have made bands before (sewn the bow from scratch using some store-bought grosgrain), but due to my hat being vintage, I think I may go with a vintage band to match, if I can find one. I currently have an old homburg with a great band, but I'd rather leave it intact, as I plan to sell it.

It is pretty difficult to find plain black ribbon in anything but 1.5" and 2". And oftentimes it is the widths in between that look really nice on fedoras.

Hopefully any hats that get thrown away due to having holes in them or being otherwise damaged have their bands salvaged!

Any tips for where to find them? Any information from sagacious fedora aficionados on how vintage ribbon was different (rayon versus cotton, pertersham versus grosgrain, or something like that?)
Go to Etsy.com and search for vintage grosgrain. There are a great many suppliers of vintage grosgrain (from the 1940's & 50's). They sell by the yard, multiple colours usually in 50/50 mix rayon (acetate) & cotton although some offer silk. Be careful as many of them supply to the millinery market and don't specify that their grosgrain is Petersham. I use FiniRibbon but don't think they have black right now. But there are others. I have a vintage on my desk ( 1 1/8") that you can have if you send me $5 for the postage. I do many old hat refurbs and keep all the ribbons/bows but I am accumulating a lot of them. I live in Canada so it will take upwards of two weeks.

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I have a vintage on my desk ( 1 1/8") that you can have if you send me $5 for the postage.

Thank you, that sounds lovely, but I feel like a thicker band would go better with what I have in mind. I want a film noir aspect to the hat, but in a less rumpled, disheveled way from what you often see in those movies. (I'm also hesitant to go with the tight front pinch, as it makes the hat look odd from a certain angle.)

I digress. I am trying to resist the temptation of detaching this 1 3/4" band from this '50s Stetson St. Regis homburg, as I don't want to devalue the hat. It is labeled a 7 3/8, but it feels a good amount tighter, likely due to the sweatband shrinking. But that should still mean the ribbon would be large enough. But I'd probably be unable to sell the hat after. Hmm.

I did learn to sew specifically so I could create the bow for a band (and I ended up getting a good result , seen below), so that would probably be the smartest choice.

Attachments

• 20210213_032706.jpg
    20210213_032706.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 148

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I think I'm going to buy some cotton/rayon grosgrain, before I'm overcome with the urge to cut the ribbon off of the old homburg. Its ribbon is 1 15/16" anyway, which may be slightly too wide.

What width would seem most authentic to the 1940s film noir look, on a 7 1/4, 4.5"-5"crown, 2.5" brim hat? 1 1/2" is pretty universal, but I also could get 1 3/8" or 1 3/4". But if this 1 15/16" I already have would look good, I'd prefer to do that. Too bad I can't fully know till I remove it.

I really appreciate any help here. Thank you!

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
Just an update, in case anyone cares, has cared, or will care in the future.

I took the leap of faith and removed the ribbon from the old Stetson homburg. It hugs my hat like it was made for it. Virtually no gap whatsoever. The ribbon comprises a little less than half of the very frontal height (right where the pinch is- the lowest part of the front, basically), and it just balances the hat perfectly! A slightly wider brim does well with the slightly wider ribbon.

It is now fully '40s film noir, fully badass. And honestly it's pretty cool that it's one of a kind (can't be replicated without the secret recipe), made up of parts from two different longtime American hat companies, and has my own personal craftsmanship involved in it.

Happy Valentine's Day, all. ♡

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21