Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

billyspew

One Too Many
Question about the BSA delivery bike in this thread

Hi I'm new to your site and i'm just wondering if you still have this bike in your collection as i'm restoring one at the moment but the front rack has been removed sometime in the past and i noticed that your bike the carry basket tubes run through the frame at the front just like mine.So i'm asking if i could get some extra pic's of your bike and diemensions of the rack and foldout stand so i can copy them for my 2 star malvern star,thankyou peter.

Couldn't see a BSA delivery bike in the thread, there's Binkie's 1938 Malvern star and there's an old Junkers but no BSA that I could see.

This is it?
4537796404_09df288189.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cuddles6677

New in Town
Hi thanks for helping me out and i was reading the thread when he recieved the bakers/butchers bike and he thought it was a malvern star but he said that the other riders were questioning him about it and they thought it might of been a BSA but not to worry as both bikes were very similar or just the same but without the 2 stars on the front gusset.And if anyone on here is after vintage bike stuff just give me a burl as i've been collecting nos and good secondhand parts for vintage bikes since 1998 and i'm always wheeling & dealing in them cya cuddles.

casper

New in Town
My hybrid Kona Dew De Luxe has a great British saddle the legendary Brooks saddle.....

Konahybriddewdeluxe001.jpg

A real working 'retro' brand, with traditional quality, the only thing they take a while to wear in but once they are reputed to be very comfortable!

Casper

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hard to beat a BROOKS saddle. My 1920's saddle was made by LYCETT who were bought over by BROOKS in the mid 20's (as were a number of small companies). The likes of Lycett, Wrights, Dunlop, Middlemores, Saxon and many more are long gone for making leather saddles, Brooks is that last of them now). Hope the break in isn't too painful..!

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
My hybrid Kona Dew De Luxe has a great British saddle the legendary Brooks saddle.....

Konahybriddewdeluxe001.jpg

A real working 'retro' brand, with traditional quality, the only thing they take a while to wear in but once they are reputed to be very comfortable!

Casper

Very nice, like that honey colour a lot. Looks like the Flyer.

I've got Brooks saddle on all my bikes, a B66 (brown) on the Roadster, a Flyer on the tourer and a Conquest on the racer (both black).

I found the B66 and flyer easy to break in, but the Conquest more painful.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Got up and out early at 0630 this Sunday morning for a 25 miler before heading to work. After the last few beautiful springtime days, sadly today's weather was bracing with sleet & biting Arctic winds coming off-shore along the coast.
A mixed bag of weather actually, as there were some breaks in the sleet but I'd totally screwed up in not wearing warm enough kit! Lulled into a sense of false planning by the past few beautiful days!
Starting with the sunrise over a deserted bay...
302d6a22.jpg

b0ac4954.jpg

01cb5752.jpg

429eb00f.jpg

21751e7f.jpg

7967b1c8.jpg

6ecaa88d.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hard to beat a BROOKS saddle. My 1920's saddle was made by LYCETT who were bought over by BROOKS in the mid 20's (as were a number of small companies). The likes of Lycett, Wrights, Dunlop and many more are long gone for making leather saddles, Brooks is that last of them now). Hope the break in isn't too painful..!
Not sure Dunlop ever made leather saddles, they did however make leather look 'rubber' type saddles that needed no care however they were nowhere near as comfortable as a well broken in Brooks!
The sadddle on my Raleigh rod braked 'racer' earlier in this thread is a Dunlop hard rubber jobbie.http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Dunlop/saddle.htm

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Been out with the Veteren Cycling Club

Had my first cycle with the VCC (Veteren Cycling Club) in County Durham at the weekend. Some very nice post war and pre-war bicycles and a few of the guys dressed in tweeds..etc.

I'm going to have a look at a late 1930's lightweight bicycle (Saxon) over the next few days that I can 'restore' to roadworthy condition - can't wait..!!

Happy pedalling!!:eusa_clap

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Had my first cycle with the VCC (Veteren Cycling Club) in County Durham at the weekend. Some very nice post war and pre-war bicycles and a few of the guys dressed in tweeds..etc.

I'm going to have a look at a late 1930's lightweight bicycle (Saxon) over the next few days that I can 'restore' to roadworthy condition - can't wait..!!

Happy pedalling!!:eusa_clap

Well done Paddy, I've been in the VCC for around 8 years now and possibly one of the best things I ever did, it gets you involved socially, mechanically and historically...not been on many runs of late due to family and work commitment problems though hoping to get out for a few rides this year.......Saxon are/were a very good maker and anything from the 30's is usually well made if a little heavy(most cycle parts at that time were made from steel as aluminium was still viewed suspiciously due to high faliure rates of stems, cranks etc)....parts can be difficult to obtain whereas 50's parts are still relatively easy to find.....get in touch Paddy if you need help on anything cycle related, I have 'restored' several machines over the years and have quite a decent knowledge on the subject though I am sure you'll soon build up your own!
One thing though...........you do realise you'll end up with full sheds and empty pockets?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Appreciate the offer - thanks! :) Yes, the little Club seems to be a mine of information and knowledge and helpful folks. A couple of them, when I asked how many bikes they had were saying things like, "Currently 20, but it was up to 30 in the garage a while back..!!!" and, "You've got to be careful, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you have more bikes than you could ever ride!"
Mmmm - that's when a hobby morphs into a medical condition - perhaps!! We shall see...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ah a Saxon 'twintube' now thats a nice machine Paddy, it looks to have been restored nicely, the front brake caliper and lever aren't really period and are a bit 'heavy' for a sporting lightweight but should be fairly easy to replace especially if you intend to run it fixed with just a front brake setup.
I could go into allsorts of spiel about it but Hilary Stone does it way better here http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/designs/hs-saxon.html

The important bits are there like the headclip and the stem which looks to be a twin bolt Reynolds(though the stem shouldn't really have a bolt in the top as the headclip should hold it in place), the cranks seem to be Williams C34's which are reliable if a little heavy but are of a type used from the 30's to the 60's and spare rings etc are easy-ish to get.

Oh and yes it's VERY addictive...currently I have 14 rideable machines and several more in bits plus god knows how many spares etc!

billyspew

One Too Many
Ah a Saxon 'twintube' now thats a nice machine Paddy, it looks to have been restored nicely, the front brake caliper and lever aren't really period and are a bit 'heavy' for a sporting lightweight but should be fairly easy to replace especially if you intend to run it fixed with just a front brake setup.
I could go into allsorts of spiel about it but Hilary Stone does it way better here http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/designs/hs-saxon.html

The important bits are there like the headclip and the stem which looks to be a twin bolt Reynolds(though the stem shouldn't really have a bolt in the top as the headclip should hold it in place), the cranks seem to be Williams C34's which are reliable if a little heavy but are of a type used from the 30's to the 60's and spare rings etc are easy-ish to get.

Oh and yes it's VERY addictive...currently I have 14 rideable machines and several more in bits plus god knows how many spares etc!

That's a lot of knowledge right there! Very impressed.

14 bikes? Wow and I thought I was bad with 3 and a recumbent (Also looking for a trike).
Bearing in mind I love in a first floor flat with no outside space, imagine what I'd have if I were to have a shed.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Right Chaps - This is what I've got (took collection today).

1939 Saxon "Popular" 3 speed Lightweight (British).

The other pics were an example of "a" Saxon Lightweight, the one 'I've got' is 'a wee bit different' and is the "Popular" model with 3 speed Sturmey Archer gearing (needs fixing as stuck in third).

A DIY paint job (Hammerite paint?) needs to be stripped back and repainted :( and not damage the original transfers (??) - nigh impossible.

The lovely patina'd original celluloid handlebar grips 'AND' (I know - amazing huh!) mud-guards are all there and pretty much intact! A lovely 'ivory' colour has developed over the years.

The SAXON marked saddle...well...the leather is basically perished and needs to be binned - sad, I know! So need to find a replacement for that. Also, the original 1930's Lucas "King of the Road" bell was stolen off this bike *sigh*. I've been scouring junk yards for years now trying to find one anyway, but..no joy (and Ebay is just talking 'silly' prices). So, the Lucas Bell is another thing to look out for.
But, I'm truly chuffed to have found it (in the same county as me too! so not far to travel).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points