Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Cheers Paddy, I reckon this bike will go on forever! Looking forward to a ride out to where my uncle lives on the edge of the South Downs about 20 miles away when next I have a free weekend. Be good to show him how it looks now. Doesn't feel right just using it as a commuter ...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Looks good Mike, if you want to keep it with the 70's 80's equipment you could do a lot worse than Suntour stuff, it's very reliable pretty lightweight and is far cheaper than the heavier and dearer Simano, Campagnolo,Simplex equivalents....go for the Vx range or the Cyclone...brake wise Mafac Centre pulls are fairly cheap and easily available...good job on the tape BTW, the GB stems I think were made by SR and are very good and fairly lightweight....if you can get them SR Royal groupset/bits are VERY good and seriously underated and cheap-ish.
Lugs look like EKLA?

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Thanks guys. Yep, lovely bike to ride as well, goes as good as it looks.

Esteban, all the component parts of the machine work well so I'm just going to keep them. Campy chainset, Shim rear mech ... If they needed changing, then I might consider going back to a '50's spec machine, but for now, enjoying it as is.

As for the frame, I know very little. Cliff Peters used to race, and set up his own shop in Aston, Birmingham. I do not know if he made the frames, or he had other people make them for him. I do know it was built for my uncle though. Internet searches throw very little light on Cliff Peters Cycle Shop.

mikepara

Practically Family
Wow! I've just read this whole thread, it is awesome. There are some lovely bikes. My wife Cycles most days but she's a mass of backside pads and dayglo. I can't think a long ride on those gorgeous machines in that old clobber can be as much fun as it looks. So there's a vintage cycling club out and about in the Scottish Borders and I haven't managed to see them at least once, Gutted.
Don't ride anything very often and when I do it's certainly not vintage, but I can see myself looking in the junk shops for one to do up...

dmar836

New in Town
I have a modern ride for the team-kit wanna be group rides but I really fancy older bikes. None earlier than the 60s though I'm afraid. Still, I have had no problem keeping up with the posers using downtube shifters and the like. It's a badge of honor to dust someone on a climb on a 40 yr old bike - they don't like that much either! Very little has changed in frame geometry in the last 100 yrs so take your pick!
Great bikes and a great thread!
Dave
http://retrobikerestorations.blogspot.com/

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whilst browsing an old copy of THE CAPTAIN (a turn of the Century magazine for Boys), I took a few snaps of The Cycling Corner which was a part of the sporting section of the magazine. Thought you all might be interested in this for reference purposes. I'm particularly keen on the cycling jackets. Enjoy!!

(The Lady's Book is to interest 'any' ladies that might come into this thread, as I'm sure there are some keen vintage cyclists among the girls on TFL).

15cdaec3.jpg

e8bf29e4.jpg

65a98d8b.jpg

24901ea5.jpg

7e5ed4f4.jpg

175a0064.jpg

f78e7047.jpg

92ca3bf8.jpg

botty

Familiar Face
I can't think a long ride on those gorgeous machines in that old clobber can be as much fun as it looks.

Oh yes it can. Just finished 200 miles+ through France to the velo Anjou vintage rally with everything 1930/40 original or repo, including clothes and camping gear (sadly on a Velorbis 'modern' vintage bike as my earlier posted bike had bottom bracket/gearing problems). Everything worked great.

Don't forget to check out Carradice stuff. I used their waxed cotton cape (made as per 1930 onward) and it worked a treat in the rain/

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
I was just given my uncles Raleigh bicycle, though it is much more recent than some pictured here, it weighs quite a bit and is pretty solid. My uncle always took care of the bicycle as he did not drive this was his transportation around town.

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

Now I need to pick up a lock, you never know if someone wants your bike more than you do.

botty

Familiar Face
I will try to get photos up this weekend. I didn't take many but my riding partner took some.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I was just given my uncles Raleigh bicycle, though it is much more recent than some pictured here, it weighs quite a bit and is pretty solid. My uncle always took care of the bicycle as he did not drive this was his transportation around town.

Now I need to pick up a lock, you never know if someone wants your bike more than you do.

Unless I miss my guess, you have a late 50's to early 60's vintage Raleigh Sport there in the 3 speed version. A wonderful bicycle to ride, and very lovely.

My wife has the exact same bicycle, only re-branded as Eaton's Truline Glider. The Eaton's department store, which became a Canadian Institution which is sadly gone now, made most of its success out of mail-order in the early days because of Canada's enormous territory and sparse infrastructure. They needed a sturdy, well built, reliable bicycle that would need little to no service or repair because it would have been ruinously expensive for them to deal with returns. They turned to Raleigh and had them re-badge and re-colour their excellent Raleigh Sport as the Truline Glider. The Truline's came in the 3 speed Sturmey Archer version or the 5 speed with Hurett Alvit derailleur.

I should really post some pics of the wifey's bike one of these days.

alsendk

A-List Customer
It is amazing with all you wonderful loungers here.....we seem to met at the most unexpected places here at Fedora Lounge.
From the interest for Irving Flying Jackets, passing through whiskies, music and so many other great things to do - and now I found this lovely site about so many interesting bicyckles, mostly vintage I see.
My Bicyckle - or is it called recumbent in english? sofa bike perhaps?:D
well, it is not vintage in any way,but it is indeed very joyful to lay down on the back, in a fairly laid back position, and take a journey out in the beautiful green landscape.
In the beginning it was a bit tricky to maintain the balance on the bike, and I have taken it to the ground on several ocassions, mostly in the turnings, but sitting low, no harm has been made so far...not on me, and not to the bike.
Greetings
Allan

fjllby.jpg
[/IMG]

Liggecykler.jpg
[/IMG]

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
G&T Thanks for the information, if it indeed of that vintage he kept it in great shape, I should ask my aunt about it the next time I see her. It really would not surprise me as I also have a chroma lithograph that was my uncles from about 1850 or so of Robert Burns that he brought over from Scotland in the 1950's (We took it to the Antiques Roadshow to get an idea of the date)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana