Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Great jersey collection! I won this example yesterday, I thought it could be 1950's, but it harks back to an earlier style with that lovely collar. If it had front pockets it would be perfect!

$%28KGrHqZ,!hQFBp-42toIBQit8t0Trw~~60_58.JPG

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Well, I was starting to get fed up with how I use the space in our little single garage. The bikes and kombi all fit in fine, but then there's no room to do anything at all in there, not even to walk from one end to the other! You have to cart everything out to use the space as a workshop. All the bikes get wheeled into the garden or the kombi goes in the back lane. Usually this is the cue for it to start raining and everything gets soaked.

There must be a better way of using the space I have, and after some internet surfing and a cup of tea I found the easiest solution would be simple hooks in the rafters. So out came the bikes, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to photograph the fleet together. This isn't all of them, I've got a couple of projects in the rafters of the garage, and the trusty MkIV Army Cycle; but these are now the bikes I ride regularly.

The fleet lined up by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Hooks were only a few quid, and hanging the machines vertically means I can get the most of the space. Now I don't have to navigate around them to get the kombi in and out of the garage. And easier to get to any of them, rather than the one out all out situation before.

That's tidier by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

The Raleigh Flyer isn't vintage of course, but a recent hand-me-down some good camping buddies gave to my nipper Harry. He's only a little fella, and the 24" wheels suit him down to a tee, and now I can't keep him off it!

Last edited:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Renovation of CZ bicycle stopped, but I found in the scrapyard nice prewar ladies bicycle with original rear rim and fender paint (black base with white, red and golden links) Frame has original paint too, but it's a bit rusty.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Thanks James! The saddle of your Schwinn looks very comfortable. This kind of rear suspension was quite common on bicycles before 2nd war here.

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
Yes, the fender has a white stripe. That is typical for Raleigh and Phillips bikes in America, and I only learned recently that the white stripe was originally for visibility during wartime blackouts. My childhood Raleigh bicycles had these stripes in the 1970s.

There are lots of pictures of US postwar bikes at the website for the shop where I got my bike, if you're interested. http://oldroads.com/bicycles_for_sale.asp

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I don't think they get much nicer then that V.C.! I just noticed the cross bar, or as we call them in the motorcycle world, Hollywood Bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm