Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

Salv

One Too Many
More Bianchi pics...

Road-legal Bianchi Pista - with new 'bars, front brake, brake levers, computer, clip-on mudguards, pump, saddle pouch with spare tubes and essential tools:

DSCF0444.jpg

The front wheel was slightly out of true and while adjusting the spokes I noticed this for the first time:

DSCF0450.jpg

...Bianchi etched hubs!

And here's my Bianchi Mega-pro road bike, with Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campag Scirocco wheels, Cinelli stem and bars, colour matched Look pedals, and Selle Italia Flite saddle - my favourite bike:

DSCF0452.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some cycling in the Emerald Isle. (Beware of red Ron Hills).

(Non Vintage wear warning!!!!!)

Just back from Ireland, so getting myself together here again.

Met a few friends who happened to be over at the same time and took them for a wee spin around Belfast Lough and down to North Down to see The Old Inn for a Guinness and a bite to eat.

I really must get a racer, the MB even with 'slicks' on, is hard work at times. Plus I don't help matterw with paniers that have everything 'bar' the kitchen sink!![huh] You just 'never' know!!!!

Beware men in red pants!!;)

WeddingofCarrieMichaelAugust07096.jpg

WeddingofCarrieMichaelAugust07098.jpg

Speedster

Practically Family
Salv said:
Road-legal Bianchi Pista - with new 'bars, front brake, brake levers, computer, clip-on mudguards, pump, saddle pouch with spare tubes and essential tools:

DSCF0444.jpg

The front wheel was slightly out of true and while adjusting the spokes I noticed this for the first time:

DSCF0450.jpg

...Bianchi etched hubs!

And here's my Bianchi Mega-pro road bike, with Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campag Scirocco wheels, Cinelli stem and bars, colour matched Look pedals, and Selle Italia Flite saddle - my favourite bike:

DSCF0452.jpg

Salv, your Bianchi bikes are truly magnificent looking. I see that you have put
two brake levers on the fixie. Take it that one of them is only there for the looks?

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:
(Non Vintage wear warning!!!!!)

Just back from Ireland, so getting myself together here again.

Met a few friends who happened to be over at the same time and took them for a wee spin around Belfast Lough and down to North Down to see The Old Inn for a Guinness and a bite to eat.

I really must get a racer, the MB even with 'slicks' on, is hard work at times. Plus I don't help matterw with paniers that have everything 'bar' the kitchen sink!![huh] You just 'never' know!!!!

Beware men in red pants!!;)

Looking good Paddy!

If you want any help choosing a road bike feel free to ask. We should be able to sort you out.

Speedster said:
Salv, your Bianchi bikes are truly magnificent looking. I see that you have put two brake levers on the fixie. Take it that one of them is only there for the looks?
Thanks Speedster; they're a joy to ride too. Well spotted with the dummy brake lever - it's there partly for the looks, so the front wouldn't appear unbalanced, but I spend most of my time riding with my hands resting on the tops of the brake lever bodies, so I need somewhere to put my left hand. Also when I'm climbing (luckily there are only a few short but steep bridges to cross on my commute) I like to wrap my hands around the lever bodies so I can pull up on them.

I recently bought a Carradice Nelson Longflap saddle bag for the fixie as I really feel uncomfortable carrying a bag on my back for my commute. I hate the hot sweaty patch that appears after a couple of miles.

I think this will look just right hanging over my back wheel
nelson-black.jpg

dostacos

Practically Family
Mike1973 said:
We didn't let the weather put us off! 22 members of the Veteran Cycle Club turned up for the ride Sunday, but most are more interested in old bikes than wearing period cycling gear.
We started in Fareham, and took in a lot of the historic Naval establishments and Palmerston Forts down through Gosport and then back again. Easy 25 miles, rained pretty much all day. [huh]

David and I with our plus fours acting as sails on Lee-on-Solent seafront!
David is riding a splendid '37 Claud Butler, me on a rather more humble '33 BSA Sports.

Farehamride024.jpg

And we are stood facing these monsters!
http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/museum.html

Farehamride022.jpg

A few brave souls riding along Stokes Bay to the cafe stop.

Farehamride015.jpg

My faithful BSA and Lucas acetylene lamp. (Works a treat, when I can get carbide for it.)

Farehamride030.jpg

Soaked but happy! Last ride I did with the club was July, and it was so hot the tarmac was melting :eusa_doh:

Farehamride031.jpg

is this where we make the comment about "mad dogs and Englishman"?:D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by dostacos
is this where we make the comment about "mad dogs and Englishman"?

But, where's the noonday sun? lol

I really like the look and safety of riding in plus fours.
No chain-grab to worry about and no need for clips. :D

Mike1973

A-List Customer
vintage kiddie seat...

My nippers had outgrown this so just sold it on OFAS...

vintagecrossbarseat001.jpg

'30's? Great fun but the stirrups used to flap around. Hopefully it's new owners wil have as much fun with it! ;)

Looking for pictures of it in action I found these...

SusieWilfWindsor2004.jpg

And even better, this wicker contraption :cool: (Same ride, a year earlier)

SusieWilfWindsor.jpg

I know next to nothing about it though... The seller assured me it should be mounted on the front of the bike, but I just couldn't see how that would work, so fabbed up a carrier for the rear.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Cute baby! : )

I gather that you and yours are part of a vintage bike club. ? Does it have a website---maybe you posted it earlier in this huge, old thread. Can you post it again? Very cool bike scene and bike fashion! --JP

Mike1973

A-List Customer
JeffOYB said:
Cute baby! : )

I gather that you and yours are part of a vintage bike club. ? Does it have a website---maybe you posted it earlier in this huge, old thread. Can you post it again? Very cool bike scene and bike fashion! --JP

I've been a member for several years, but since I got my VW Kombi on the road I've taken much more of a back seat with it. I only manage to do a couple of rides a year now with my local Hampshire section.

http://www.v-cc.org.uk/

Boys growing up so fast... 'Cute baby' now progressed from bicycles to motorbikes...:eek:

GoodwoodRev07040.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
Love the side car for cycle, if only I could find one.

Anyway as the war clouds turn dark over Europe, the cycle is pushed into military (well Home Guard) service.

DSCF1731.jpg

Harry

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Out on the bike today (beautiful Blighty weather) pics

I was trying to find an 'appropriate' place for this one, as 'although' I am cycling, the attire is modern (mountain bike with slick tyres for road work..etc). Gents, if you feel this dilutes the thread, just PM me and I'll take it off (okay?;) ), but just couldn't find any other 'bike' thread for it.

Absolutely corker of a day so I grabbed the bull by the horns (well, at least the bike by the handle bars!!) and took my little beauty out for a spin down the country lanes.

I'm sitting here typing (with an Aviation 1916 freshly made and by my side in the cocktail glass) and life feel's good after a hard cycle ride in such glorious weather. So if you haven't already, start getting those bikes dusted off, re-serviced for another season on or off road (whatever you prefer) and have a wonderful season exploring the countryside from the saddle of your bicycle (vintage or modern), as it's a rather classic and vintage way of keeping fit and seeing the world from a rather different and most civilized perspective (albeit more dangerous these days on roads - hence the hi-viz vest).

cycling003.jpg

cycling001.jpg

cycling002.jpg

cycling004.jpg

JeffOYB

Vendor
Nice story...and lovely scenery...but that's a fair argument for classic cycle styling! : )

Thankfully, you have red to tie things together. ...Barely! : )

(Yeah, I know, those who live in glass houses...)

Interestingly, classic bikes and apparel are in vogue. I even get good reactions from teenagers.

More classic bikes AND riders pics! It's that time of year, as Paddy said!

--JP

Warden

One Too Many
pickle-md.jpg

What ho everyone

At last the garage stock has increased; the little ones and I are the proud owners of a new (well OK vintage style) tricycle.

So now when Harry is on Home Guard bicycle patrol, Edna can follow behind on her bicycle with jam wads, tea flask and other war work essentials. Then behind her can be the little one, with legs turning like the sails of a windmill and I am thinking of a windmill on the coast, in a gale and old salty sea dogs have called round to eat smoked kippers for breakfast.

Anyway I get away from the point; we have the tricycle and intend to use this with our two adult bicycles for a new scenario we are planning. Plus it means the whole family can now travel and enjoying vintage picnics as the good Lord intended them to be enjoyed.

But more of that story later,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points